Draft Day Trade - The Official Poll

341 members have voted

1. 1. What was your opinion of the Falcons trading up to #6, giving up 5 draft choices, and selecting WR Julio Jones?

Count me as another "On the fence", I watched the draft on ESPN. What hi-lites do they show? Dropped passes....that reminded me of Roddy & Jenkins yrs ago. It hurts to lose the #2 & next years #1,there is still draft dealings today I hope! I see we have (3) #7's, bundle that & move up!

That was total crap and really unfair to the kid. AJ Green dropped passes in college (one against Alabama that looked HORRIBLE after Georgia was blown out) why do they do that to Jones. The talking heads just wanted material to talk about. Jones is a great player

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thrilled about this pick. Sure, we gave up a lot of lesser picks but look at what we got! We get a playmaker with a lot of upside to him, a beast that will make CB's go screaming for "Mommy" if they get in his way, another great blocking WR, and the best thing, someone who will have enough impact to dictate more coverage 'out of the box' thus re-opening our ground-n-pound running game! A couple of decent FA signings on the defensive side of the ball and the Falcons will be in business for another playoff run this next season.

For you nay-sayers out there, take a look at what Defensive 'Gems' are out there and compare them to the Offensive 'Gems' available this year and you should see that the biggest impact players were on the offensive side of the line and the Falcons' exhausted the last one with their pick. What I meant by "Gems" was a Top-10 elite potential draft pick. The two WR gems (Greene and Jones) have much higher potential than any of the DE's in this draft and there are no decent DE's falling into the #27 spot this year except Da'Quan Bowers (Clemson) and he would be a risk at that particular spot given his history. Moving up made sense to capture one of the best this draft has to offer because it definitely doesn't have much of anything else.

I don't think the picks given up to get a potentially very good player would have gotten a decent player in this (and next year's) drafts so I don't think this pick actually cost Atlanta a whole lot when you really think about it. Now let's go win us a Super Bowl!

Going to say it was an A* pick, no doubt. I thought the trade was really costly though but if the front office are that confident he'll play like a top ten player and that the picks lost far out value what we could have got had we stayed put altogether.. How can we complain? In TD we trust.

I have been a Falcons fan my whole life. I've been there through the highs and the endless amounts of lows. The Falcons are on the verge of losing me as a fan. I have had to watch our divisional rivals out draft us. We traded so much away for Julio Jones (who I think is a good player)when we need Defense!!!! I hope we are planning to sign Nnamdi Asomughe. He would make our off season a success. Right now, we may not even make the play-offs next season

Don't know how you justify giving up all of these quality draft picks for a player that will not touch the ball that much. Mularkey does not like to throw the ball. Jones is a nice player, but he's injury prone and he has questionable hands.

Up till now TD has been the boy wonder GM that was going to take us to the superbowl through the "process". If this team goes 6-10 or 8-8 next year (and we very well could, we had some favorable bounces of the ball last year) this gamble will be scrutinized and the honeymoon with the media could be over..Our defense is full of holes and one or two mid level free agent signings will not fix it. Just really discouraged by the whole thing..

this is one the best picks we could have made. Adding him the offense that we already have. If we cant stop them we will be able to out score them. They cant watch him and roddy..

We gave away four picks, two of them in the fourth round. The second rounder this year hurts, but it may be an indicator that we sign a DE in the free agency. The first rounder next year isn't all that bad, alot can happen within the next year, and we could have a pick in the 30's anyway. All in all, as long as Julio Jones is as good as advertised and ends up being the Roddy clone that many people said he will be, then this is actually a great deal. Hopefully he doesn't turn out as a bust, that's what I'm really worried about.

i agree totally. I believe this means we pick up one or maybe two defensive players as free agents. but if we cant stop them they will have to out score us because I believe Julio is everything he has lieved up to be. And I am a south GA boy. Lived there all my life. This may be the best pick since Matt Ryan....

What you're missing is that our run first offense got SHUT DOWN when teams focused on and were successful in taking Roddy out of the game.

With Jones, teams can't just focus on Roddy and bring everyone else up to play the short pass and stuff the run. That will free up Roddy again AND make more room for Turner and our run first offense to operate.

I think this pick also speaks volumes about the confidence TD and the coaching staff have in guys we already have on our roster (Johnson, Hawley, etc).

Great tell them again and we can still pick up defense from free agents. I agree totally/

I'm ecstatic. Every time we play a team like Green Bay, New Orleans or even the Chargers - I'm always whining about how their receivers are so good - and how we need some help for Roddy.

Now - we have it in a straight BEAST!

The more I watch game tape on this guy - the more I'm loving this pick.

This is a special player - not just your average pick - we are going to be loving this for a long time !

This guy not only IMMEDIATELY impacts our receiving game - but our running game as well. Defenses are going to have a harder time just stacking the box - and this guy can block! He's physical, he's fast and he's going to get us the YAC we've been lacking for a long time.

Mark these words and play them back in 2 years.

TD owes me a new TV. I think mine blew a circuit when I threw my ice cold beverage at it after that idiotic trade. Please tell me why we need a #2 wide receiver so badly that we give five picks that would more than likely have turned into at least three starters, maybe four. Not to mention, they would have all been on defense where we need the most help. Hopefully, Julio proves me wrong, but even if he does and I definitely hope he does, I still think we gave up way too much!!!

it was a shock to see our draft future down the tubes. I think the reason why TD traded up in the top 10 is because TD knows he Sucks at drafting players below the top 10. Example- Sam Baker is like a rag doll at left tackler. Baker is beat on just about every pass play forcing Ryann to get rid of the ball before he wants to. DT P Jerry and most all those TDs DBs draft picks have been a BUST.

i dont like it, this draft is deep at wr and you could have got a very talented wr with the 27 pick or later. if houston is there at 27 i will kick myself

go ahead and kick yourself because he was around a lot later than that.