What purpose, prison?

I found this article online and thought it might be interesting for the folks on the board to read it and chime in with their opinions. In the early days... very early days many thought the goal of prisons was to reform the people who were incarcerated while allowing them to offer penance for their "sins". As a matter of fact the term penitentary is derived from the concept of the imprisoned individuals becoming penitent.

Later it seems that the people in charge of the prison systems decided that the people who were put into prison were very unlikely to feel sorrow or remorse over their misdeeds and the idea of penance went by the wayside. Eventually, it seems to me, the idea of reforming oneself while imprisoned also went out of vogue and the only real goal of penitentaries was to remove the offender from society for a period of time. The hope was the person would be so averse to incarceration that they would follow the rules of society if only to avoid being put into the jail system again regardless of whether they were sorry for their behavior or reformed.

In my opinion the programs in the prison system that offer the imprisoned individuals a means to reform themselves are definately worthwhile. Whether they are successful only rarely, or if they are wildly successful, I support the idea of giving incarcerated individuals various avenues to pursue in an effort to improve themselves. I'm wondering what the feelings of my fellow board members might be on this idea, so please share.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinionla/la-ed-rehab-20110416,0,2598524.story

*** please excuse any poor spelling or grammer.

well, it should serve the duel role of punishment and rehabilitation. Instead it is probably a gangsta school/spa.

Add to that the role of deterrent. Prison should be unpleasant enough that the threat of being sentenced there causes folk to reconsider the crime.............:o

A pipe dream, I know, but maybe in a perfect world.............<_<

Add to that the role of deterrent. Prison should be unpleasant enough that the threat of being sentenced there causes folk to reconsider the crime.............:o

I agree. Prison should be so unpleasant that any perp wouldn't want to go back. Look at it from the POV of the institutionalized felon.

Pros:

3 meals a day

A place to sleep

All your friends/lovers are there

Cons:

Can't get a good job on the outside due to being a convicted felon

And/Or doesn't have the education to get or hold a good job

Can't/Won't adjust to outside life

So, until the corrections system takes away all the conforts of home, feed those mickey-fickeys one meal a day, have them sleep on hay beds and in burlap sacks, the recidivism/incarceration/rehabilitation rate for thugs won't improve.

I agree. Prison should be so unpleasant that any perp wouldn't want to go back. Look at it from the POV of the institutionalized felon.

Pros:

3 meals a day

A place to sleep

All your friends/lovers are there

Cons:

Can't get a good job on the outside due to being a convicted felon

And/Or doesn't have the education to get or hold a good job

Can't/Won't adjust to outside life

So, until the corrections system takes away all the conforts of home, feed those mickey-fickeys one meal a day, have them sleep on hay beds and in burlap sacks, the recidivism/incarceration/rehabilitation rate for thugs won't improve.

I believe that the stories about how easy prison is are mostly overblown. Sore you can get 3 meals each day and you don't have to pay any rent, but you also only get to go outside during certain hours and they tell you when to do everythingfrom eating to bathing.

I think there needs to be consistent effort on the part of the prison system to identify people who are non-violent offenders and people who are less likely to be "return customers", then segregate all of them from the really dangerous criminals in hopes of avoiding situations in which people come out of prison more criminal than they were when they went in.

I don't mind them having weights to lift and I would support the idea of having boxing/martial arts/MMA instructors and leagues inside the prison system. I would support implementing anything that offers prisoners the chance to better themselves and practice discipline on a dialy basis.

I don't mind them having weights to lift and I would support the idea of having boxing/martial arts/MMA instructors and leagues inside the prison system. I would support implementing anything that offers prisoners the chance to better themselves and practice discipline on a dialy basis.

Physical outlets are great but perhaps something that doesn't involve turning an unarmed convicted felon into Anderson Silva. :P