Stephen King's Dark Tower to be adapted to the big and small screens

Guest whitestain

Guest whitestain

The Dark Tower will be a trilogy of movies, with a mini-series on NBC in between movies 1 and 2, and then again between 2 and 3.

Javier Bardem and Viggo Mortensen appear to be the frontrunner Roland Deschain.

Anybody read this series? I never have, but apparently it's incredibly popular.

Guest whitestain

I hope Javier gets it, Viggo looks weird to me. It's off-putting.

He talks weird too. His vocalization of certain lines is really strange. He does this really gay, soft voice when the scene calls for him to be understanding or comforting and it always makes me snap out of what he's saying and laugh. He did it so many times in Lord of the Rings and it was like dude, you are supposed to be this badass ranger guy and you talk so gay.

He's got Mike Tyson syndrome.

I've read the series and have heard talk about adaptation for some time. Not my favorite King material..kind of wordy and slow.

I think a lot of King's work ends up being wordy, tedious, and slow. I kept up with the series for the first couple(or few) installments but eventually I got tired of waiting on the next one and just quit. By the time the series had ended I had forgotten all of the stuff from the first couple of books and I didn't want to go back and start over. But I liked the idea of Flagg being involved in the book and woven into the fabric of King's world. He was the main bad guy in "The Stand" but looking back I cannot be certain if The Stand was supposed to have taken place before or after the Dark Tower series. I guess "The Stand" would have had to come after the Dark Tower as far as a timeline for that world goes.

He talks weird too. His vocalization of certain lines is really strange. He does this really gay, soft voice when the scene calls for him to be understanding or comforting and it always makes me snap out of what he's saying and laugh. He did it so many times in Lord of the Rings and it was like dude, you are supposed to be this badass ranger guy and you talk so gay.

He's got Mike Tyson syndrome.

Yeah, I've enjoyed some of his movies, Eastern Promises and History of Violence, but typically I'm not a fan at all and only watched those because of the story and director.

I think a lot of King's work ends up being wordy, tedious, and slow. I kept up with the series for the first couple(or few) installments but eventually I got tired of waiting on the next one and just quit. By the time the series had ended I had forgotten all of the stuff from the first couple of books and I didn't want to go back and start over. But I liked the idea of Flagg being involved in the book and woven into the fabric of King's world. He was the main bad guy in "The Stand" but looking back I cannot be certain if The Stand was supposed to have taken place before or after the Dark Tower series. I guess "The Stand" would have had to come after the Dark Tower as far as a timeline for that world goes.

Flagg also appeared in The Eyes of the Dragon, a novel that I thoroughly enjoyed as a kid. Actually, it was probably the first King novel I read to completion.

This is what happened to me. I read the first one or two and then ...nothing. I had forgotten what happened by the time new installments came out and reallly wasn't going to go back and re-read all that ####. :P I figure if it was any good anyway, I would have remembered it.

I hope Javier gets it, Viggo looks weird to me. It's off-putting.

I was a member of suicidegirls.com when Viggo was " hot" and many of those girls were crazy on him. Then someone posted a nude pic of him and he had a fetus *****. The admirers quickly jumped ship. :lol::lol: That was one of the funniest threads in internet history.

The Dark Tower cycles through different time periods in relation to the real world, if I remember correctly. While King can get wordy, he usually develops some pretty vivid characters. In a recent book, Under the Dome, I got the impression King worked very hard to create a complex situation and cast of characters before realizing he was already at 800 pages. From that point the pacing picked up and brought a conclusion to everything in 200 or so more pages, but left the reader with an empty feeling, one that the rug had been pulled out from under the story.

Guest whitestain

What is the Dark Tower about?

I never read the series but I looked up some information to see if I'd be interested in it and it sounds pretty good. I just hate everything I've ever read by Stephen King so I can't see myself reading it ever.

Wikipedia describes it as a blend between fantasy, science fiction, horror, and western. I started to read the plot summary and even that started to fall into a typical wordy, drawn out, boring explanation, just as much of King's books are.

I never read the series but I looked up some information to see if I'd be interested in it and it sounds pretty good. I just hate everything I've ever read by Stephen King so I can't see myself reading it ever.

Wikipedia describes it as a blend between fantasy, science fiction, horror, and western. I started to read the plot summary and even that started to fall into a typical wordy, drawn out, boring explanation, just as much of King's books are.

But you have enjoyed some of his film adaptations, of course, right? I mean, at least the Frank Darabont ones, I'd assume.

Guest whitestain

The Mist sucked but I think anyone who doesn't like The Green Mile or Shawshank Redemption should be kicked in the face every morning when they wake up.

I've liked a few others too like It, Misery, and The Shining.

I actually think that Stephen King is one of those rare breeds of author whose stuff is actually better fit for a movie adaptation than having to sit down and read it, much like Tom Clancy or J.R.R Tolkien in my opinion. You couldn't force me to read any of the LOTR books, but I'll watch the movies any time they're on.

Edited by whitestain

The Mist sucked but I think anyone who doesn't like The Green Mile or Shawshank Redemption should be kicked in the face every morning when they wake up.

I've liked a few others too like It, Misery, and The Shining.

I actually think that Stephen King is one of those rare breeds of author whose stuff is actually better fit for a movie adaptation than having to sit down and read it, much like Tom Clancy or J.R.R Tolkien in my opinion. You couldn't force me to read any of the LOTR books, but I'll watch the movies any time they're on.

Steven King does far better with his short stories and novellas IMO. He even wrote a pretty good Sherlock Holmes story at one time

also, you forgot Stand By Me :D

Flagg also appeared in The Eyes of the Dragon, a novel that I thoroughly enjoyed as a kid. Actually, it was probably the first King novel I read to completion.

it is a complete mystery why nobody has dug up that book to make a movie out of it with the popularity of the fantasy genre lately

Will definitely be a pleasure to watch. I love how all of his books are somehow connected to the Dark Tower in one way or another.

To those that say its tedious and slow, I agree but I don't mind. He gives you so much detail that you can literally picture the scene in your mind.