The five biggest draft busts in Atlanta Falcons history

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty good article so here you go http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-8242401

1: The Smith Family

2: Bobby Petrino

3: June Jones - OC under Glanville, then HC. Insisted on running run and shoot offensive scheme.

4: Jerry Glanville - for allowing June Jones to install run and shoot offense.

5: Jim Mora/Greg Knapp - had no idea how to build an offense around Vick, compare to what Reid did in Philly with Vick in just one year.

Ahh, so he is a "situational" player. I can see that. Though, if he is reliable in scoring touchdowns inside the 10 yard line I wouldn't think he is a bust. On the other hand if they expect more of him than scoring then I guess you can consider him a bust.

Thats all Duckett did, he ran hard inside the 10 yard line. He didnt do anything to help the offense get there.

Sating Vick was a top 5 bust of the Falcons is really absurd given he took us to the playoffs twice and to the NFCCG once going through Green Bay which no tam had ever beat there in the playoffs.

Here's some that didn;t make the list that certainly would be more qualified than Vick:

Clarence Ellis, Tony Smith, Joe Profit, Michael Booker, Steve Broussard, Devin Bush...... Lincoln Kennedy was a bigger bust for the Falcons although he did well once he was gone.

The word "bust" is subjecive, so many just put their own spin on the term and come up with whoever they hated irresepctive of how much they helped us.

I wouldn't say that Duckett was a bust, he was really never given a chance and Mora even admitted to forgetting about Duckett being on the side line on short yardage downs, i was at a game once where everybody in the dome started chanting Duckett while we were in the red zone. Dude obviosly got lazy and gave up on his own carreer bc i think if he would have worked a little harder he could have been a good RB.

Brett Favre should be added to the list, yes he went on to be a legend at lambeau but his short lived time in ATL he was pretty horrible. His first NFL completion was to his self.

Will Overstreet was a bust as well, a stellar DE at Tennessee and came into ATL to play a rushing OLB in the 3-4 we ran, he just never could stay healthy, not even in college.

I wouldn't say that Vick was a bust, he made the game exciting. Vick's problem was he had no work ethic and Dan Reeves used him well but it was some how Reeves fault that he broke his leg in the preseason and Reeves got fired, Jim Mora did no better with Vick, the defense carried the team in 2004.

I would add Owens to the list if he keeps playing like he did against GB, JA98 prob as well.

The NFL draft is interesting, you never know what your really going to get. Players could have out standing college carreers and be 1 and done in the NFL and other players may have not been outstanding in college but turn into legends in the NFL i.e. Tom Brady.

Duckett barely outperformed William Green, who was drafted two spots ahead of him, and lasted only three real years in the league. Duckett had more TDs, yes, but they only fed him the ball inside the 10. Outside of that, not much difference stat-wise, and we can all agree William Green was a bust.

vick? really? how about tony smith? shawn collins? bubba bean? ja98? even mj12? busts do not make the pro bowl 3 times. was vick the best he could have been? no. did he skate by on talent alone? most of the time. did he have the best talent around him that could of made him better? no, not really.

Duckett was a bust. He was drafted and expected to basically be what Michael Turner is today. Duckett just never seemed to try if he had to run between the 10 yard lines. Inside the 10 he was awesome, when he could see the goal-line. But he was worthless in the middle 80 yards of the field.

I'd say you are much closer to a bust than Duckett. Check our red zone numbers when he was here and then check em after he left.

Sating Vick was a top 5 bust of the Falcons is really absurd given he took us to the playoffs twice and to the NFCCG once going through Green Bay which no tam had ever beat there in the playoffs.

Here's some that didn;t make the list that certainly would be more qualified than Vick:

Clarence Ellis, Tony Smith, Joe Profit, Michael Booker, Steve Broussard, Devin Bush...... Lincoln Kennedy was a bigger bust for the Falcons although he did well once he was gone.

The word "bust" is subjecive, so many just put their own spin on the term and come up with whoever they hated irresepctive of how much they helped us.

Agreed, he also made two or three pro bowls didn't he?

Bruce, Pickens, Booker and Kennedy do immediately come to mind as busts here...

Vick was a "bust" as a man, not as a player, though the former led to the deterioration of the latter. Now that he is a better man, he is a better player, and it is just unfortunate for him this didn't happen until he was 30 years old.

Had Vick been blessed to have the same kind of parents a Matt Ryan or a Peyton Manning had to teach him how to be a man, who knows with his God given talents what he would have accomplished by now as a player. The good news is he has a few more years to make it happen and I wish him well except when he faces Matt Ryan and his Falcon Teammates.

Vick was a "bust" as a man, not as a player, though the former led to the deterioration of the latter. Now that he is a better man, he is a better player, and it is just unfortunate for him this didn't happen until he was 30 years old.

Had Vick been blessed to have the same kind of parents a Matt Ryan or a Peyton Manning had to teach him how to be a man, who knows with his God given talents what he would have accomplished by now as a player. The good news is he has a few more years to make it happen and I wish him well except when he faces Matt Ryan and his Falcon Teammates.

One of the few truly insightful comments on Vick I have ever read on this board.. Nice post QB!

Brett Favre HAS to be added to the list. In a way he is like Mike Vick the only differance is his time in Atlanta he didn't have near the talent Vick had, if Favre stayed in Atlanta he would have never been what he is today.

He was an alcoholic, addicted to pain pills, and horrible QB in Atlanta, he got a second chance in Green Bay like Vick did in Philly and much like Vick became a better player and a better man. (with the exception of his dirty pics but i'm gonna say that's bc he is a now a senile old man.)

Brett Favre HAS to be added to the list. In a way he is like Mike Vick the only differance is his time in Atlanta he didn't have near the talent Vick had, if Favre stayed in Atlanta he would have never been what he is today.

He was an alcoholic, addicted to pain pills, and horrible QB in Atlanta, he got a second chance in Green Bay like Vick did in Philly and much like Vick became a better player and a better man. (with the exception of his dirty pics but i'm gonna say that's bc he is a now a senile old man.)

You raise a compelling point that many will experience cognitive dissonance over.

If you call Vick a bust, in spite of the historic playoff wins and multiple pro bowls he went to while an Atlanta Falcon.........in other words, if your criteria for insisting Vick was a bust was his failures as a person and how these personal failures impacted his game....AND.....if you apply this same exact criteria to the party animal, pill popping, womanizing Brett Favre who's personal issues led to his demise here, then you would also have to conclude Brett Favre was a bust too.

This begs the question: Why isn't Brett Favre listed as one the the top 5 Atlanta Falcon busts as well? Hmmmmmm

I look forward to logging onto this thread later this evening while it spins completely out of control from this point.