A thought about the future of JA55

I've been thinking about something. In 09 there was talk about Abe wanting an extension after his big 08 season. We didn't budge then. His contract expires after this season and if he has a big year, we already know he's gonna want to get paid. I don't know how we will approach the situation but I'm starting to lean torward us drafting a DE in the first, but should we try to get some type of compensation in case we decide not to meet his demands. His presence is huge in our defense but does anyone else think this way. I know the coaches said Sidbury spent last year developing and it seems like him and Biermann are our future at starting DE.

Thoughts and please don't flame me for this thought.

This is one reason I'd be in favor of signing someone like Mathias Kiwanuka AND drafting a defensive end in the 1st round. We need to plan for Abraham's inevitable - and likely soon - decline/departure from the team.

We have to start planning for holes before they appear, rather than trying to plug them a year or two down the road.

This is one reason I'd be in favor of signing someone like Mathias Kiwanuka AND drafting a defensive end in the 1st round. We need to plan for Abraham's inevitable - and likely soon - decline/departure from the team.

We have to start planning for holes before they appear, rather than trying to plug them a year or two down the road.

This^^

Man this is the same old to me.Last year I wanted us to go after Umenyiora in FA as I thought after watching interview's his playing future was on the line so I thought he would have been a great target.

This year my favourite DE target is Kiwanuka but I think the Giants have tendered him much like the Panthers have with charles Johnson so I now think he is out of our reach.

Draft wise The guys I like a Quinn Smith and Kerrigan so we are in a bit of a hole when it comes to grabbing one of these guys but at the sametime I really hope Sidbury earns a shot at some snaps and pans out for us.

Dam. Yall ready to cut one of the best players on the team. Leader. Still an as beater. Straight out of Hawaii. Will likely be a HOFer. Will probably double up any stats any of the current players, free agents or NCAA boys will put up. Trust me. Jeez. Yeah he's old, but he's gold. Still got probably three years left. As beater supreme.

Hes got 2-3 years left in the tank.

Remember, he only plays limited snaps, only practices half of the week. Coach keeps him fresh so he can last.

We NEED to get somone in here with Talent to learn from him while hes still here. He's got the skills and the moves to pass on, just need a talented student.

I've been thinking about something. In 09 there was talk about Abe wanting an extension after his big 08 season. We didn't budge then. His contract expires after this season and if he has a big year, we already know he's gonna want to get paid. I don't know how we will approach the situation but I'm starting to lean torward us drafting a DE in the first, but should we try to get some type of compensation in case we decide not to meet his demands. His presence is huge in our defense but does anyone else think this way. I know the coaches said Sidbury spent last year developing and it seems like him and Biermann are our future at starting DE.

Nobody is going to give us anything for a soon to be 33 year old speed rusher. Everybody knows that the end is near for Abraham. Best situation would be one where he is only really used in pass rush situations and gets a very manageable numbers of snaps a game.

As good of a year as he had in 2010 with 13 sacks, he could all of a sudden turn around and have a 3 sack year in 2011. Guys typically hit a wall, at this stage, everybody knows he is on fumes and we will not get anything for him.

Maybe if someone had an injury situation during the season, but Atlanta still needs to get rid of the dependance on Abraham. We have to have another lead pass rusher.

Edited by isproab

Dam. Yall ready to cut one of the best players on the team. Leader. Still an as beater. Straight out of Hawaii. Will likely be a HOFer. Will probably double up any stats any of the current players, free agents or NCAA boys will put up. Trust me. Jeez. Yeah he's old, but he's gold. Still got probably three years left. As beater supreme.

Who said anything about cutting him. We all know he is one of the best players and a team leader. Thats an on the field issue. We still have to worry about the business side of things. It is well known that during TD's time in New England when it came to players like Abe, they have big years and demand lots of money when their contract runs out and their demand didn't get met. That goes for alot of teams around the league and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened after this season with Abe.

Beirrman and SID......C'mon lets stop with the nonsense. Kroy is average at best,great mortor but too small IMO-RAGDOLL FREQUENTLY.

Sidbury didnt dress for most games and this is who we are counting on....Really? Sidbury cant beat out JA(* or Chauncey Davis so all of a sudden he's our answer at DE....Sum of u fans are really dillusional.....And Im Gone

JA55 probably has 3 good years left. Figure he has a good year next that leaves 2 in the tank. It'll probably come down to whether or not he wants to stick around in Atlanta, b/c if he's looking for a payday, this FO has had no problem parting w/ vets in the past. If he's willing to stick around for a reasonable contract, I'm sure we'd resign him on a 3 yr deal.

i dont like banking on a guy to be our future in the most important position on defense who didnt even get on the field last year. Its not like he was a rookie. i think if he had "future starting DE" promise, coaches may have put him in at least a few plays. He probably still has a lot of developing left to do and maybe he'll work his way into the rotation. If abe has a big year, i dont see any reason not to pay the man to an extension. michael strahan was very effective at a much older age.