It's Really Interesting How Some Are Ready to Replace HD83...

If BB can't fix M.R. mechanics on deep throws and add some spice to the MM offense then do not expect too many "explosive plays" from a WR. A FA WR or high draft pick can not fix what is inherent with this team. Our offense makes RW, MJ, HD, TG, and whomever possession receivers. Our best hope is for a healthy Norwood or an infusion of offensive imagination and player utilization(Weems,HD)from BB or hopefully MM.

Spend the draft picks and any FA moves on offensive and defensive line. Tired of a lack of protection and no pass rush other than ABE or blitzing. Improving both lines will add explosive plays on both sides of the ball.

Dead on...and very well said.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at the whole right side of the line, it was TOTALLY sealed, but Ryan got happy feet for no reason, pump faked and stepped up...for what? And the ball was still delivered way short. It's on tape....but you refuse to see it....you're in denial like Chappell in your avatar... :D

You realize two guys can have a "bad play" on the same play, right? It was a poor throw by Ryan, clearly. It also was a poor job of adjusting for a 6'4 receiver. He slipped, so I let that slide a little, but it's not Jenks game to adjust and go up.

I don't think you're watching the tapes bro. If you are it has to be through hater goggles. See the plays in the video below at 4:14, 4:26, 4:41 and 5:52

You mean like the plays at 3:27, 5:09 and 5:52 right? :rolleyes:

You realize that when everyone agrees a team "can't run well" you can find examples of good runs? That doesn't disprove or prove a point.

Your second video, if anything, shows what I'm saying. This team seldom does good double move and slow developing patterns...when they do, they work which is why you see an open receiver.

Look, we've been through this before. If a 6'4 guy has never been your fade guy, isn't used in the red zone, etc., it's pretty well understood he doesn't have great body control/go get it ability. It's fine if you don't want to see this...but it's just how it is. He's a straight line player. If he were a good adjust/jump ball guy, he'd be a very consistent 7-10 TD/yr guy due to redzone targets.

I was excited to get Jenkins, and I'd love him to be what you apparently think he is, but if he were that, it would have shown. We wouldn't have used Finn instead of him for multiple instances when we needed height. Finn knows how to use his size, Jenks doesn't. It's just that Finn runs about a 4.8 now.

Guest whitestain

When Dimitroff was talking about getting "explosive players" in this years draft, what he should have said was "A new offensive coordinator that designs explosive plays"

Guest whitestain

You realize two guys can have a "bad play" on the same play, right? It was a poor throw by Ryan, clearly. It also was a poor job of adjusting for a 6'4 receiver. He slipped, so I let that slide a little, but it's not Jenks game to adjust and go up.

He slipped because he had to stop his momentum in an attempt to adjust to a poorly thrown ball. It would have been intercepted even if the paint had not been there.

The ball should have been thrown on a rope and to the back of the endzone, not lobbed into the air giving time for Williams to close the 4-yard gap that Jenkins had created.

I don't think so...just call a play that's downfield. The broadcasters didn't refer to our lack of YAC as being the reason that we are non-explosive. They specifically said that we were close to the bottom with plays that net 20+ yards or better. We didn't take the shots down the field and when we did, they were over or under thrown. It had to do with chemistry and timing....I would say.

net 20+ yards doesn't necessarily mean the throw has to be more than 20 yards downfield. Harry Douglas, Tony Gonzalez and Michael Jenkins haven't made the big plays, so teams roll coverage towards Roddy White. We need someone who can take advantage of the open space.

He slipped because he had to stop his momentum in an attempt to adjust to a poorly thrown ball. It would have been intercepted even if the paint had not been there.

The ball should have been thrown on a rope and to the back of the endzone, not lobbed into the air giving time for Williams to close the 4-yard gap that Jenkins had created.

Hence why I said it was a bad throw by Ryan. However, your first job as a receiver (if you're taught well) is to make sure it isn't intercepted. Job 2 is to catch the ball. My whole point about Jenkins is he does a poor job of adjusting to come back to the ball.

Many balls like that, when thrown to a Plaxico, or a Fitzgerald, end up being at worst incompletions, and if they slow down fast enough, they undercut the DB. Any underthrown pass that isn't a line drive...any one that has air under it...shouldn't be an INT. At least that should be your philosophy as a WR. You should look to get back and defeat that throw.

I think that throw isn't the best example, as he slipped...but he in general has trouble adjusting, coming back, and jumping. That means the passes have to be nearly perfect.

In general, that kind of pass is way more likely to be caught by Finn than Jenkins, and I think our 2 receiver should be a notch above Finn in "fight for the ball" situations.

net 20+ yards doesn't necessarily mean the throw has to be more than 20 yards downfield. Harry Douglas, Tony Gonzalez and Michael Jenkins haven't made the big plays, so teams roll coverage towards Roddy White. We need someone who can take advantage of the open space.

Which means you have to have a coaching staff that can game plan to take advantage of how the defense reacts. We have players that can exploit a situation like you demonstrate but the coaches have to be able to recognize and take the advantage.

In our loss to Philly 2010, A. Reid exploited our defenses attempt to expose their inexperienced LT and far less mobile QB in Kolb It was the sound playcalling that got ATL on the back foot and allowed their game changers to go off for explosive plays. Reid recognized ATL had a big advantage with Abe going against their 2nd string LT and he took ATL's advantage away early with misdirection.

Having said player will not guarantee explosive plays if the game plan is not tailored or adjusted to exploit what the other team does or does not do. Taking 2 shots deep down field and a multitude of possession routes will not cut it in the NFL.

Our coaching staff has not even figured out that the WR screen MM so loves to run should go to a quick shifty WR like HD or Weems as a given. Instead we throw them to two of our biggest WR(MJ/RW), good speed but not shifty enough in a tight area.

When the lines improve and coaching improves more big plays will come. Other than the lines ATL does not have a personnel dilema at the skill positions like some believe(Norwood only). Learn to use what you have first.

Giving MM more "explosive talent" is like giving someone who can't handle a .22 rifle a 30-06 rifle. You won't get any different result overall.

Hence why I said it was a bad throw by Ryan. However, your first job as a receiver (if you're taught well) is to make sure it isn't intercepted. Job 2 is to catch the ball. My whole point about Jenkins is he does a poor job of adjusting to come back to the ball.

Many balls like that, when thrown to a Plaxico, or a Fitzgerald, end up being at worst incompletions, and if they slow down fast enough, they undercut the DB. Any underthrown pass that isn't a line drive...any one that has air under it...shouldn't be an INT. At least that should be your philosophy as a WR. You should look to get back and defeat that throw.

I think that throw isn't the best example, as he slipped...but he in general has trouble adjusting, coming back, and jumping. That means the passes have to be nearly perfect.

In general, that kind of pass is way more likely to be caught by Finn than Jenkins, and I think our 2 receiver should be a notch above Finn in "fight for the ball" situations.

Jenkins was in a full out sprint from the line of scrimmage. To make any kind of play on the ball would result in some Barry Sanders, stop on the dime type stuff to just to get an offensive pass interference. The ball was that short.

You realize that when everyone agrees a team "can't run well" you can find examples of good runs? That doesn't disprove or prove a point.

LMAO. I bet I can find a shtload more examples of plays that prove Jenkins can run dig routes and adjust to a football than you can find plays that disprove it. Trust me.
Your second video, if anything, shows what I'm saying. This team seldom does good double move and slow developing patterns...when they do, they work which is why you see an open receiver.
Which second video? There is only one and it shows buddy lighting up plenty NFL corners and safeties with double moves.
Look, we've been through this before. If a 6'4 guy has never been your fade guy, isn't used in the red zone, etc., it's pretty well understood he doesn't have great body control/go get it ability. It's fine if you don't want to see this...but it's just how it is. He's a straight line player. If he were a good adjust/jump ball guy, he'd be a very consistent 7-10 TD/yr guy due to redzone targets.I was excited to get Jenkins, and I'd love him to be what you apparently think he is, but if he were that, it would have shown. We wouldn't have used Finn instead of him for multiple instances when we needed height. Finn knows how to use his size, Jenks doesn't. It's just that Finn runs about a 4.8 now.
Message board hater rule #106b - when proven wrong deflect the situation by changing the argument. :rolleyes:

First, I agree that we need more explosive plays on offense. I'm not saying we don't. But I think it's more of a combination of factors than just merely needing a WR. One factor that I believe is overlooked is the fact that we did not take as many chances as other teams because a lot of games we played with a lead and we went into an offensive mode that was trying to protect that lead instead of taking shots downfield. That worked for us considering we ended up with a 13-3 record.

Team ranking with 20+ yard pass plays

#1 San Diego Chargers, 9-7 record, did not make playoffs. They NEEDED to take a lot of risks and NEEDED a lot of explosive plays to stay in games.

#2 Denver Broncos, 4-12 record, last in their division. They played catch up a lot and had to take shots downfield.

#4 Eagles. Gave up almost 100 more points in 16 games than we did. They needed to continue taking shots.

#5 Texans. Gave up almost 140 more points than we did.

#6 Cowboys. Gave up 150 more points than we did.

First, I agree that we need more explosive plays on offense. I'm not saying we don't. But I think it's more of a combination of factors than just merely needing a WR. One factor that I believe is overlooked is the fact that we did not take as many chances as other teams because a lot of games we played with a lead and we went into an offensive mode that was trying to protect that lead instead of taking shots downfield. That worked for us considering we ended up with a 13-3 record.

#1 San Diego Chargers, 9-7 record, did not make playoffs. They NEEDED to take a lot of risks and NEEDED a lot of explosive plays to stay in games.

#2 Denver Broncos, 4-12 record, last in their division. They played catch up a lot and had to take shots downfield.

#4 Eagles. Gave up almost 100 more points in 16 games than we did. They needed to continue taking shots.

Reasearch is always welcomed when making a point. I like this reasearch. Honestly, our offensive play-making ability is based on play-calling rather than the personnel. I'd love for us to be a threat to pass the ball deep, but we have to actually throw it deep to be a threat. Ryan needs to trust his arm and instincts and just cut it loose.

I agree. I never felt like we should turn into the Saints Packers or Colts but I feel Jenkins is subpar. If you look at that highlight video in that guys sig then you could see clearly how many times Ryan was blitzed because 8 men in the box. That is why Ryan doesn't have time. But when Ryan faced a normal front he had loads of time and could look downfield for the double moves. But Jenkins doesn't make these plays often so teams don't respect him enough to make those plays consistently. If you notice that is 5 mins of highlights from 2 years of play.

My argument is that if Jenkins was as good as some on this board make him seem then Roody AND Tony G wouldnt be doubled and we wouldn't face 8 man fronts because they would know that Jenkins could burn em. But unfortunately he can't do that consistent enough to make teams worry about him.

But also, people are asking for explosive plays called but what explosive player are we going to call them for? And throwing deep isn't the only way to get explosive plays. 20+ yard plays can come from a player taking a 5 yard slant 50 yards. We don't have any players that are known for explosive plays except Roddy but he is too easily shut down because he is the only one. That is why we can't come back from 10+ points deficits.

I feel that once we get a few more explosive players and HD gets his legs up under him then Jenkins will be more effective (hopefully) but I am skeptical since he has never done it, even in 08 when we were most explosive with Ryan.

Edited by vel

2010 Falcons: What the Film Revealed

Offense

Atlanta Falcons

The 2010 Falcons epitomized an elite N.F.L. offense … if the year had been 1985. Thumbing his nose at today’s spread formations and speed-oriented designs, the offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey regularly used multi-tight end and running back sets and called some of the most traditional smashmouth plays football has to offer. And it worked. The sustainability of this offense is what earned Atlanta the N.F.C.’s best regular-season record.

Over all, Matt Ryan continued to justify the hype, despite the absence of a true downfield blazer (he and wide receiver Harry Douglas never developed great timing). A downfield blazer wasn’t needed, though, because even when commanding bracket coverage, wideout Roddy White produced. He was the N.F.C.’s best all-around receiver. The increasing radiance of White’s star compensated for the subtle dimming of tight end Tony Gonzalez’s. Still, Gonzalez was viable underneath, and he handled the immense blocking responsibilities this system places on tight ends.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notice what they say about our offense in the first sentence. I have said over and over again that this is a QB driven league and that we won't win playoff games until we give the team to our QB. Nothing was said about Jenkins neither. Not a thing. And if you go and read the article that atljbo posted, you can tell the guy did his research on the whole team, not just a few highlights.

Ryan was given an offense with training wheels on it (heavy running and multi-TE sets to help buy time to pass). Now that he has grown and TD spent time building up the defense (only needs 1 piece), TD can turn the offense over to Ryan and let him grow into an elite QB from here. Jenkins was kept because of his blocking ability, not for his playmaking ability. This is proof because in 08 he only had 3 TDs. That was his first impression on Ryan, Smitty, and TD. His second audition was 09 when he only had 1 TD. This shows he is not a playmaking WR but is a team player and will help others make plays. But that doesn't cut it in the 2010 league, maybe if it was '85 again.

I agree. I never felt like we should turn into the Saints Packers or Colts but I feel Jenkins is subpar. If you look at that highlight video in that guys sig then you could see clearly how many times Ryan was blitzed because 8 men in the box. That is why Ryan doesn't have time. But when Ryan faced a normal front he had loads of time and could look downfield for the double moves. But Jenkins doesn't make these plays often so teams don't respect him enough to make those plays consistently. If you notice that is 5 mins of highlights from 2 years of play.

My argument is that if Jenkins was as good as some on this board make him seem then Roody AND Tony G wouldnt be doubled and we wouldn't face 8 man fronts because they would know that Jenkins could burn em. But unfortunately he can't do that consistent enough to make teams worry about him.

But also, people are asking for explosive plays called but what explosive player are we going to call them for? And throwing deep isn't the only way to get explosive plays. 20+ yard plays can come from a player taking a 5 yard slant 50 yards. We don't have any players that are known for explosive plays except Roddy but he is too easily shut down because he is the only one. That is why we can't come back from 10+ points deficits.

I feel that once we get a few more explosive players and HD gets his legs up under him then Jenkins will be more effective (hopefully) but I am skeptical since he has never done it, even in 08 when we were most explosive with Ryan.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... <_<

Find one play to support double-coverage on a WR and TE with 8 in the box... :D

Message board hater rule #106b - when proven wrong deflect the situation by changing the argument. :rolleyes:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... <_<

Find one play to support double-coverage on a WR and TE with 8 in the box... :D

Easy: If there are 8 in the box they are more prepared to stop the run right? Well if it is a pass the extra safety's responsibility is to bracket Tony G with the linebacker. The deep safety plays centerfield but shades to Roddy's side making sure he doesn't run deep and the corner plays underneath. See how simple that is. It happened the last 5-6 games. Look at the fact that Turner only had 1 100yd game in the last 6 games. Shows the run was shut down. Tony broke 50yds just once in that same span and Roddy didn't break 100yds neither, but they were against average teams (TB and NO were the only good teams).

Look at the Saints play where Jenkins beat the corner on a double move but was PI'd. Sharper is in the box and a blitz was sent. Ryan had 2 seconds.

Edit: Actually I got the play wrong it was at 4:16 in the video. Go look for yourself. And go back and watch the Packers game and how they shut down Tony (1 for 7yds) and Roddy (6 for 57yds).

Seriously, you were less annoying when you left the zzz's out. You're a grown a.. man and you can't hold a democratic argument. You bring up no facts, just exceptional situations and 5 min highlights for a 8 year player over a 3 year period.

Edited by vel
Guest whitestain

I understand what you're saying, but there isn't a receiver in the NFL who could have caught or prevented that ball from being an interception.

Michael Jenkins had absolutely no fault on that play. It's not his fault that his cleats slipped on the endzone paint. It was a freak occurance that never would have happened had Jenkins not been forced to stop his momentum in an attempt to adjust to the ball.

The play was entirely Matt Ryan's fault. There's nothing wrong with admitting that Matt Ryan is human, but there's no reason to place any blame at all on Michael Jenkins.

I understand what you're saying, but there isn't a receiver in the NFL who could have caught or prevented that ball from being an interception.

Michael Jenkins had absolutely no fault on that play. It's not his fault that his cleats slipped on the endzone paint. It was a freak occurance that never would have happened had Jenkins not been forced to stop his momentum in an attempt to adjust to the ball.

The play was entirely Matt Ryan's fault. There's nothing wrong with admitting that Matt Ryan is human, but there's no reason to place any blame at all on Michael Jenkins.

I agree that it was a bad play by Matt Ryan but you can't discount Jenkins on that play. The receiver's job in that situation is to prevent the interception if he can't make the play. Who's to say that isn't what Jenkins was trying to do before he slipped?

Like you said it was just a freak occurrence, but from the paint, not the pass.

According to Mike Smith, head coach of the Atlanta Football Falcons, explosive plays are 20+ yard rushes and receptions. Based on that here are our exploders since Smitty took over:

2008-2010 ATLANTA FALCON EXPLOSIVE PLAYS

Roddy White - 46 in 48 games

Michael Jenkins - 31 in 42 games

Michael Turner - 29 in 43 games

Jerious Norwood - 13 in 28 games

Jason Snelling - 12 in 44 games

Harry Douglas - 10 in 32 games

Tony Gonzalez - 9 in 32 games

Marty Booker - 2 in 16 games

Eric Weems - 2 in 38 games

Gartrell Johnson - 1 in 9 games

Matt Ryan - 1 in 46 games

And yall wanna cut Jenkins? OK. :rolleyes:

According to Mike Smith, head coach of the Atlanta Football Falcons, explosive plays are 20+ yard rushes and receptions. Based on that here are our our exploders since Smitty came in:

2008-2010

Roddy White - 46

Michael Jenkins - 31

Michael Turner - 29

Jerious Norwood - 13 (missed 20 games)

Jason Snelling - 12

Harry Douglas - 10 (missed a season)

Tony Gonzalez - 9 (10 with KC in 2008)

Eric Weems - 2

Gartrell Johnson - 1

Matt Ryan - 1

And yall wanna cut Jenkins? OK. :rolleyes:

Way to skew the stats in your favor. How about bring up TDs?

I didn't make up the stats bro? That's history. It will never change. Trust me.

Everyone is clamoring for explosive players. By the head coach's definition, we got some. I believe Weems is ready to join that list.

So here we go again, switching the topic. We're going from explosive players to TD makers now right? :rolleyes:

How bout you watch that video I posted up and count the number of TDs we blew by throwing bad balls that The Jenk Man had to break off his route on. I count at least six. Dude caught 7 TDs from Vick who you guys said couldn't pass. Jeez.

As I've said a hundred times, throw him the ball more and throw him a good deep ball and he will deliver. Trust me on this one bro.

Every point you try and make you get OWNED repeately...if you want to bring up TDs, Jenkins has 20 in 8 years...

Year 1: He caught 7 passes for 116 yards and played in 16 games

Year 8: He missed 5 games

Do the math... :D

He's not as bad as you'd like him to be and I truly believe that he'd be the type that you want him to be in any 3WR/4WR based offense. You'd totally have a point if we put the ball in the air 30 or 40 times per game for 8 years...

LMAO. I bet I can find a shtload more examples of plays that prove Jenkins can run dig routes and adjust to a football than you can find plays that disprove it. Trust me.

Which second video? There is only one and it shows buddy lighting up plenty NFL corners and safeties with double moves.

How did I change the argument? My argument is that Jenkins is not an adust route/go get it type receiver. Those guys are used for fades and in the redzone. That's their primary deal.

Jenkins is faster than everyone gives him credit for, but he doesn't use his size like many think. People say "we'll just put him in Finn's role" if we bring in a better receiver, but he's never demonstrated the ability to play Finn's role (box out, use size, adjust).

I've also said with a Manning type, Jenkins would do better. He gets a step on defenders once every few games that could be TDs with an accurate throw. He just doesn't adjust well if it's not accurate, so he's not a guy you're comfortable throwing it up to if he's covered, or if you're worried about your accuracy. If Ryan completely perfected his deep ball, this would be less of an issue, because he could hit Jenkins when he breaks open, but still an issue, because he couldn't feel comfortable throwing to him in tight coverage.

This goes to the heart of the issue. If he were an adjust/jump ball guy (like Plaxico type guys I mention that would help the deep game), he WOULD be used in the redzone jump ball game. He hasn't been.

Linear athlete. Linear athlete. He has a place, but it's not a "safe" 2, because of this. Were he, the coverages wouldn't be so ridiculous on Roddy. I think Jenks should be on the team, I just think he's a better move around 3/4 receiver.

How did I change the argument? My argument is that Jenkins is not an adust route/go get it type receiver. Those guys are used for fades and in the redzone. That's their primary deal.

Jenkins is faster than everyone gives him credit for, but he doesn't use his size like many think. People say "we'll just put him in Finn's role" if we bring in a better receiver, but he's never demonstrated the ability to play Finn's role (box out, use size, adjust).

I've also said with a Manning type, Jenkins would do better. He gets a step on defenders once every few games that could be TDs with an accurate throw. He just doesn't adjust well if it's not accurate, so he's not a guy you're comfortable throwing it up to if he's covered, or if you're worried about your accuracy. If Ryan completely perfected his deep ball, this would be less of an issue, because he could hit Jenkins when he breaks open, but still an issue, because he couldn't feel comfortable throwing to him in tight coverage.

This goes to the heart of the issue. If he were an adjust/jump ball guy (like Plaxico type guys I mention that would help the deep game), he WOULD be used in the redzone jump ball game. He hasn't been.

Linear athlete. Linear athlete. He has a place, but it's not a "safe" 2, because of this. Were he, the coverages wouldn't be so ridiculous on Roddy. I think Jenks should be on the team, I just think he's a better move around 3/4 receiver.

If the coverage was so ridiculous on Roddy, how does he manage to 4 consecutive 1000 yard season. Honestly you make it seem as if Jenkins gets a lot of balls thrown his way. Jenkins makes plays on balls more often than not.