We need to trade back

At 27 we are really too far back to move up for a sure thing like AJ Green or Robert Quinn, and the likelyhood of a Day one starter at DE falling in our lap is not very good. The fact is, we are in the prime spot for teams like the Bengals, Cardinals, Titans, and Redskins to move up and grab Mallett, Ponder, Dalton or Locker. We could get an extra 2nd and 3rd, or at the least, some extra draft picks next year. With Bailey, Brooks Reed, even the possiblity of Houston being a 2nd rounder, it's really the smart thing to do. We don't know what's going to happen with the CBA, and FA. We need to fill as many holes as possible. This will really help us lock in on the playmaking WR and RB that the FO has hinted we are looking for in the first 3 rounds.

If Pouncey, Garimi, Kerrigan, Bowers, maybe Clayborn are there, I can live with staying. But there are some great DE, LB, and WR talent in the second and third rounds, that I don't see as that much below some of the late first round graded talent.

The closer we get to draft day, the more convinced I am that this is what we need to do.

who will we trade though? We can't really afford to lose anyone and no body wants our draft picks for next year, Maybe Jenkins?

Well, we can't trade anyone unless the court grants an injunction and overturns the lockout. What I was saying with Newton and Gabbert possibly going early, QB needy teams like Arizona, Denver, Washington, Tennessee won't want to spend top 10 picks on the remaining QBs. As it gets later in the first and you see Locker or Dalton go, there could be a late 1st round, early 2nd run on QBs, making our pick more valuable. We could trade #27 and possibly get a top 10 2nd round pick and maybe a 3rd and 4th to go with it.

with 2 2nd rounders and possibly 2 3rds, we can fill a lot of holes. You could get Bailey and Jernigan in the second, and still have 2 picks in the 3rd to address LB, CB, and the change of pace RB we want.

Then, if an agreement is made, we still have Free Agency to pick up an established player like Ray Edwards.

I'm just saying that it's going to be tough to get a DE at 27 that's going to be productive day one, and the drop-off in talent in the second isn't really a hit in value.

That said, I think Jenkins and Snelling are our most tradeable players right now.

Well, we can't trade anyone unless the court grants an injunction and overturns the lockout. What I was saying with Newton and Gabbert possibly going early, QB needy teams like Arizona, Denver, Washington, Tennessee won't want to spend top 10 picks on the remaining QBs. As it gets later in the first and you see Locker or Dalton go, there could be a late 1st round, early 2nd run on QBs, making our pick more valuable. We could trade #27 and possibly get a top 10 2nd round pick and maybe a 3rd and 4th to go with it.

with 2 2nd rounders and possibly 2 3rds, we can fill a lot of holes. You could get Bailey and Jernigan in the second, and still have 2 picks in the 3rd to address LB, CB, and the change of pace RB we want.

Then, if an agreement is made, we still have Free Agency to pick up an established player like Ray Edwards.

I'm just saying that it's going to be tough to get a DE at 27 that's going to be productive day one, and the drop-off in talent in the second isn't really a hit in value.

That said, I think Jenkins and Snelling are our most tradeable players right now.

snelling is not under contract

we are basically already in the 2nd. Who is there to grab? I hear this trade back into the later rounds stuff every year and no one can tell me why. Don't we already have 9 picks? Can we not make those work?

We can, but I think there is more value out of getting another 2nd and 3rd for our #27, than taking a DE that's not going to be a guaranteed day 1 starter. From Justin Houston to Brook Reed or Allen Bailey, the drop off in talent isn't great enough to spend a pick that we could trade to get another player a few picks later that is similarly talented, and get an extra 3rd or 4th rounder on top of it to boot.

We can, but I think there is more value out of getting another 2nd and 3rd for our #27, than taking a DE that's not going to be a guaranteed day 1 starter. From Justin Houston to Brook Reed or Allen Bailey, the drop off in talent isn't great enough to spend a pick that we could trade to get another player a few picks later that is similarly talented, and get an extra 3rd or 4th rounder on top of it to boot.

You are very correct, but are bargaining chips aren't there and still #27 is a pretty safe spot. We may be able to get a DE, TE, RB, OL, or something.

You are absolutely spot on when you talk about the talent in this draft though. +1

Unless teams go crazy at QB, there should be opportunity late in the first for teams who missed out on the initial wave of passers, or if Miami lets Mark Ingram slip, thinking they can move on him later on in the first.

I posted something similiar on "21 days to the draft, how I see Falcons 1st round playing out".

The #27 overall pick will be auctioned to the highest bidder who wants a QB (Mallett, Locker, Ponder). Those without high 2nd and high 3rd rounders need not apply.

Likely Suitors: Cincy,Tenn,Minn,SF,Mia,Wash.

LET THE AUCTION BEGIN!!!!

we are basically already in the 2nd. Who is there to grab? I hear this trade back into the later rounds stuff every year and no one can tell me why. Don't we already have 9 picks? Can we not make those work?

nine picks "sounds good" but when you consider that three of the nine picks are at the BACK of the 7th round - well, then you get the real picture.

Falcons only have 2 picks in first 90 and 3 picks in the first 100. We are not exactly sitting in the same position as New England here. :(

nine picks "sounds good" but when you consider that three of the nine picks are at the BACK of the 7th round - well, then you get the real picture.

Falcons only have 2 picks in first 90 and 3 picks in the first 100. We are not exactly sitting in the same position as New England here. :(

Exactly my point from day one of trading back. Maybe a trade up from those three sevens...LOL!!!

There is some valuable QBs in the draft, Dalton probably won't go so high but i think he is the best QB coming in to the draft, he will make a QB needy team a winning franchise, he could be scary in Minn with A pterson.

It will be hard to trade up bc there won't be a lot of teams wanting a 27th pick