(Mods Please) Starting a new game this year

Mods if you would please pin this.

I'm starting a new draft game this year. This game is for all of the message board GM's, and people that just love to follow the draft.

The rules are very simple, and you win nothing other than bragging rights.

Listed below are the Falcons current picks for the 2011 draft. As the draft is being held once the Falcons pick is on the clock, based on players currently left on the board. You list next to the pick, the player you would have selected as the GM. Through out the draft you will fill in the player you would have selected based on prospects that are still available.

If the Falcons trade up or trade back you will change the pick to the proper position and select the player you would have taken at that spot. Once the draft is over I would like to ask one of the mods to lock the thread so no one can edit their picks.

Then as we do this every year during the draft, we can see who would have brought in the most productive players.

1 27 27

2 27 59

3 27 91

4 27 124

5 27 158

6 27 192

7 7 209 From Detroit

7 27 229

7 28 230 From New England

Honestly I think you could fill out a piece of paper with your picks during the draft, and once the draft is complete you would have 24 hrs from the end of the draft to enter your picks based on where the Falcons drafted in each round. Once that 24 hr period is up I hope we can lock the thread so no one can alter picks at a later date.

We're not going to see any of these guys play for at least 4 months, and probably won't know how good or bad they will be for 3 or so years.

I'm hoping these can be kept in some way so we can go back over 3 or 4 years, and see who has drafted the most true talent.

I know as I've looked back over the years I've had a lot of good players I wanted, but I've also wanted to draft guys that busted.

This will give us an idea whose right about players NFL potential based on college production, and workouts.

Honestly I think you could fill out a piece of paper with your picks during the draft, and once the draft is complete you would have 24 hrs from the end of the draft to enter your picks based on where the Falcons drafted in each round. Once that 24 hr period is up I hope we can lock the thread so no one can alter picks at a later date.

People would cheat too much that way.

Enter your pick before the Falcons selection is called. Anyone who enters a name late or edits will be disqalified.

We could do seperate threads for each pick.........a mod could lock the thread at the moment our pick is called but that is too much work on both the mods and for us to add up points.

Edited by coachx

I think it'd be ok to change your picks any time up until the pre-season games start when the thread should be locked. It's not like we can cheat or anything as nothing up until then has essentially happened.

People would cheat too much that way.

Enter your pick before the Falcons selection is called. Anyone who enters a name late or edits will be disqalified.

We could do seperate threads for each pick.........a mod could lock the thread at the moment our pick is called but that is too much work on both the mods and for us to add up points.

Yeah, that's really the only way to do this correctly. If you give people that 24 hour window, then they are going to cheat. It would actually give the players drafting live a disadvantage over the ones who wait the 24 hours to submit there picks.

There are always players that are projected to go much higher than the round that they are drafted in. Think Jimmy Clausen or Everson Griffin. Had I been playing last year, I probably would've locked Everson Griffin as my 2nd round choice; however, if I had a 24 hour window, I probably would've moved him to my 3rd round pick and grabbed somebody else in the 2nd round.

Do you see how that will serve as a disadvantage to people who participate live?

Regardless, it's kinda' cool. I'll probably do this whether or not there is a game just for fun.

Yeah, that's really the only way to do this correctly. If you give people that 24 hour window, then they are going to cheat. It would actually give the players drafting live a disadvantage over the ones who wait the 24 hours to submit there picks.

There are always players that are projected to go much higher than the round that they are drafted in. Think Jimmy Clausen or Everson Griffin. Had I been playing last year, I probably would've locked Everson Griffin as my 2nd round choice; however, if I had a 24 hour window, I probably would've moved him to my 3rd round pick and grabbed somebody else in the 2nd round.

Do you see how that will serve as a disadvantage to people who participate live?

Regardless, it's kinda' cool. I'll probably do this whether or not there is a game just for fun.

You're absolutely right .... I have to admit I didn't think of that, but we have 3 weeks to iron out the details. I would have selected Greg hardy earlier than the 6th last year.

Maybe it should be done as kind of a live interactive game.

I posted this in your other tread...

I love the idea.

Since the draft is a 2 day deal I don't think "live picking" would work for many people, but I like the 24 hour post draft rule.

If the mods won't lock the thread when done and easy answer would be this... you can ONLY post once, if you edit your post at ANY time - it is considered tampered?

So, we would only be doing this for the Falcons?

I kinda' like this idea. It seems pretty fun. I would just suggest disqualifying anybody who edits their post.

Seems interesting. The thread can be locked so that nobody can change their posts. So that wouldn't be a problem.

I don't see this as you absolutely have to be here for the draft to participate, unless the stipulation is you have to make your pick before the Falcons make their pick. If that's not the case & we are just saying who we would have drafted given the available players when the Falcons were on the clock, you could let it run for a day or two after the draft and then lock the thread.

I may or may not be here for the draft, depends on several things, so not sure I would be able to participate live.

Seems interesting. The thread can be locked so that nobody can change their posts. So that wouldn't be a problem.

I don't see this as you absolutely have to be here for the draft to participate, unless the stipulation is you have to make your pick before the Falcons make their pick. If that's not the case & we are just saying who we would have drafted given the available players when the Falcons were on the clock, you could let it run for a day or two after the draft and then lock the thread.

I may or may not be here for the draft, depends on several things, so not sure I would be able to participate live.

Yeah the only problem with that is as Master pointed out earlier.

Just as an example ... If I would have selected Hankerson at pick number 27, and then he falls to a point I could draft him at 59. Then I can change my pick at 27 to a defensive player I couldn't get at 59 and still draft Hankerson in the 2nd.

It prevents you from commiting "reaches" ... and we all would have been guilty of reaches in our evaluations from time to time.

Yeah the only problem with that is as Master pointed out earlier.

Just as an example ... If I would have selected Hankerson at pick number 27, and then he falls to a point I could draft him at 59. Then I can change my pick at 27 to a defensive player I couldn't get at 59 and still draft Hankerson in the 2nd.

It prevents you from commiting "reaches" ... and we all would have been guilty of reaches in our evaluations from time to time.

Oh, I thought you wanted us to see how the draft turned out and then after, just plug in our own picks in the slots... How we would've taken them. The way you're proposing would be hard though.

Either way is a good game.

Looking at the entire draft, and seeing where you would have picked is a little easier, because you know how the board is going to fall, but it still is a good game, and you see each person's "optimal" draft.

The real time one is the most like GMs do, but will also be harder to perform and fewer people will be able to do it, so I'd say do the locking it two days after the draft.

For people picking real time, they can list two drafts on their post....the real time draft (showing when they picked) and then the draft they'd do now knowing how the draft fell. That way, people picking real time wouldn't be penalized, and could show both drafts...and it wouldn't be such a pain for mods, etc.

I think it'll be a good game.

Either way is a good game.

Looking at the entire draft, and seeing where you would have picked is a little easier, because you know how the board is going to fall, but it still is a good game, and you see each person's "optimal" draft.

The real time one is the most like GMs do, but will also be harder to perform and fewer people will be able to do it, so I'd say do the locking it two days after the draft.

For people picking real time, they can list two drafts on their post....the real time draft (showing when they picked) and then the draft they'd do now knowing how the draft fell. That way, people picking real time wouldn't be penalized, and could show both drafts...and it wouldn't be such a pain for mods, etc.

I think it'll be a good game.

Great idea !

Edited by coachx

Ok ... based on the interest in this and the fact that not everyone can do it in real time I think we're going to do this as takeitdown suggested. For any that care to do this in real time as the picks are annouced, we will have them list 2 drafts. The real time, and then another within 48 hrs of the end of the draft that will show how they would pick based on players falling down the board.

For those that want to join in, but can't or don't want to do it in real time. You will have 48 hrs from the end of the draft in order to enter your selections.