Ras-I Dowling

I wanted to see what you guys thought about him. I am hearing that he is being looked at as safety and CB. Do you think he has the ability to change direction in an off man type scheme or is he better suited using his physicality in press. I have heard he has a good football IQ and can diagnose plays well but has trouble with speed. This makes me believe he could be a good safety and play a swing role. I remember B. Williams was thought of as a NB that could slide to safety in a pinch. He was not as physical as I think Dowling is and this could be an asset. Well I am just wandering what you guys think of him. I saw we were looking at Aaron Williams and assumed we would use him in the same manner.

Here are blog reports from CBS and Sports inc. on his proday workout

UVA CB Dowling boosts stock at late Pro Day

Virginia cornerback Ras-I Dowling entered his senior campaign as a virtual lock to make the first.

Unfortunately, the 2010 season was unkind to Dowling as he was limited to only two starts due to various leg injuries, including a sprained knee, strained hamstring and a fractured ankle. Previous to his senior year, Dowling had played in 35 of a possible 37 games for the Cavaliers.

The injuries kept him out of the Senior Bowl and sidelined for the much of the Combine. Dowling pulled his hamstring on his first 40-yard dash attempt in Indianapolis and was unable to perform at Virginia's original Pro Day, March 17.

The 6-1 (3/8"), 198 pound corner did work out on Monday, however, posting times ranging from 4.37-4.42, according to an NFL scout on the scene. Dowling also registered a 38" vertical jump and a 10'8" broad jump.

Most important to Dowling's stock was demonstrating that he had the fluidity in his hips during positional drills. The scout characterized Dowling's ability to turn and run as "good enough for his size" and felt that Dowling could remain at cornerback "for a press team."

Dowling did well in ball drills too, showing the ability to track the ball over his shoulder. He did drop one ball, according to the scout.

The scout estimated that 15 teams were represented at Monday's workout.

NFLDraftScout.com currently rates Dowling as a 2nd-3rd round pick and the No. 9 cornerback available in the draft.

Dowling begins quieting injury concerns

April, 4, 2011

By Kevin Weidl

Monday was a big day for Virginia CB Ras-I Dowling, who set out to prove during his pro day workout that an injury-riddled senior season has not diminished the considerable overall skills that had him graded as a first-round prospect coming into the 2010 season.

Injuries hampered Ras-I Dowling during the 2010 season but his physical tools are impressive.Dowling's problems began when he suffered a hamstring injury during fall camp that cost him the first two games of the season. He then suffered torn cartilage in his knee -- an injury that required postseason surgery -- before a severe ankle sprain that some reported to be a fracture ended his season in mid-November.

Finally, after rehabbing and preparing himself for the NFL combine, Dowling pulled up early with another hamstring injury while running the 40-yard dash.

However, scouts who were in attendance at Dowling's workout told me his overall showing in front of scouts should give him a boost.

Dowling checked in at 6-foot-1⅝ and 199 pounds, looking in very good shape. He was expected to post a good 40-yard dash time after running it in 4.40 seconds at the combine despite the pulled hamstring, and he lived up to expectations by clocking in the high-4.3 range on some stopwatches.

He also showed good explosiveness with a 38-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-8 broad jump, and his 19 reps on the bench press were very good for a cornerback.

Although Dowling shows some stiffness in his hips because of his longer frame, his overall movement skills were good, and he showed the ability to change directions well. He also tracked and caught the ball well.

Scouts also like that Dowling competed hard -- though he is still a notch below full strength after so much time on the shelf -- and are impressed with his character and personality.

Dowling remained positive during a trying season and showed his mental toughness during his workout, and several scouts I've spoken to say his personality and love for the game have continued to show during the pre-draft process.

Based on game film from his junior season, it's clear Dowling has first-round tools (size, top-end speed), and although teams still will check his medicals thoroughly, Dowling likely did enough during his pro day to quiet concerns and solidify himself as a second-round pick.

His best fit at the next level will be in a scheme that uses him as a press corner, where he can use his long arms to disrupt routes at the line of scrimmage. He has the athleticism and speed to stay on a receiver's hip in trail position.

I wanted to see what you guys thought about him. I am hearing that he is being looked at as safety and CB. Do you think he has the ability to change direction in an off man type scheme or is he better suited using his physicality in press. I have heard he has a good football IQ and can diagnose plays well but has trouble with speed. This makes me believe he could be a good safety and play a swing role. I remember B. Williams was thought of as a NB that could slide to safety in a pinch. He was not as physical as I think Dowling is and this could be an asset. Well I am just wandering what you guys think of him. I saw we were looking at Aaron Williams and assumed we would use him in the same manner.

Here are blog reports from CBS and Sports inc. on his proday workout

I like him a lot.... If we wanted to go CB in the 2nd round... I would easily take him if he has a clean bill of health.. I think he would fit our scheme..The guy showed the ball skils TD loves. start him off at NB... He can develop into a island CB...I would love a 6'2 CB tho...

I like him a lot.... If we wanted to go CB in the 2nd round... I would easily take him if he has a clean bill of health.. I think he would fit our scheme..The guy showed the ball skils TD loves. start him off at NB... He can develop into a island CB...I would love a 6'2 CB tho...

I have a very good feeling about Dowling. I hope he is there at the end of the 2nd.

I am presently building my mock. Dowling is my guy in the second round. He is exactly what TD must be looking for in a DB. First and foremost, he is highly intelligent. He has a great deal of starting experience and is a team captain/leader. Additionally, he has very good size and excels in zone coverage. He would be the ideal nickle back for our defense. While some teams view him more as a FS, he has solid cover skills for a CB.

His ankle was badly broken this season, so he is being evaluated by older film. Hopefully, he will drop into our laps at #59.

I couldn't agree with you more. I would love this guy as our 2nd rd pick.

I couldn't agree with you more. I would love this guy as our 2nd rd pick.

I'll agree as well. If his medical report shows a clean bill of health, he'd be a great pick in the second round. Dowling and Franks at nickel and dime next season would really shore up our secondary depth and help contain some of those high-powered offenses we'll face (NO, IND, HOU, PHI, GB).

Loved him when i thought he was goin to come out last year. Would have taken him in the first last year and if we could get him in the 2nd or 3rd this year think it would be one of the steals of the draft (like william moore was)

Heard a comparision to Chris Cook but i think thats mostly do to their size Dowling is a much better player