Why draft a TE this year?

I've just been wondering why everyone thinks that the Falcons need to take a TE this year... I mean they still have Tony Gonzalez and Justin Peele under contract. Do you really think a 4th round or later rookie TE is going to come in and produce more than those two? And they still have the Palmer who was a rookie last year. I'd rather see them wait and pick a guy out of a TE class that is projected to be way better next year.

I've just been wondering why everyone thinks that the Falcons need to take a TE this year... I mean they still have Tony Gonzalez and Justin Peele under contract. Do you really think a 4th round or later rookie TE is going to come in and produce more than those two? And they still have the Palmer who was a rookie last year. I'd rather see them wait and pick a guy out of a TE class that is projected to be way better next year.

When you're talking about 5th rounder types, they're unlikely to come in and start/contribute at any position. You're drafting them for upside, and so you can train them under vets, so they'll be ready when the time comes.

If you have an actual immediate need, you'd better not be picking them after the 4th.

They may take a midrounder who will develop his first year with limited reps behind Gonzo. Not sure if Palmer is the answer at starter, and Peelle is getting kinda old (32 years old). While they may not have a big impact this year, they would in 2-3 years.

why wouldnt palmer be the answer??Considering the fact that we havent seen much of him due to gonzo being in the lineup, so just wondering why you think palmer is not our next up and coming starter?

why wouldnt palmer be the answer??Considering the fact that we havent seen much of him due to gonzo being in the lineup, so just wondering why you think palmer is not our next up and coming starter?

I said I wasn't sure if he is the answer at starter. Sure, he could be a nice #2, but a starter? That may be a little much for a guy with 5 receptions.

Originally I was saying get a top TE now so that he is ready next year and learn from the best but obviously if this year of TE's is lacking in talent and presumably at this point TE's will be deeper in talent next year then wait and hope the kid hits the ground running.

Peele is not the receiving threat the Falcons are looking for though. I wonder what the expectations are for Palmer this year?

I don't think we should waste a pick on a TE this year. We won't take one early and the late rounder would compete with Palmer, Agnone, Branson and maybe even Peek for the #3 spot. Maybe throw an UDFA like Brett Brackett or Stephen Skelton in the mix, park him on the practice squad and that should do it.

I said I wasn't sure if he is the answer at starter. Sure, he could be a nice #2, but a starter? That may be a little much for a guy with 5 receptions.

a offense which includes, roddy, tg, turner, mj12, hd83, snelling, and even ovie, where is their room to get palmer the ball???When TG hangs it up, then we will get to see him get more balls thrown his way..

a offense which includes, roddy, tg, turner, mj12, hd83, snelling, and even ovie, where is their room to get palmer the ball???When TG hangs it up, then we will get to see him get more balls thrown his way..

Peelle has been averaging over 12 per season the past 3 seasons as a #2 end.

You don't draft for immediate needs. Teams lacking talent and picking early do that.

Teams picking in the later part of the rounds draft for future needs. It's why they drafted Reynolds two years ago (replace one of our O-lineman), it's why we drafted Johnson last year (to replace Reynolds off the bench).

As fans, we must quit focusing on immediate needs and look two years down the road when drafting. We have free agency (hopefully) to address immediate needs.

I think we need to find out more about players like Palmer before we draft or go FA. I personally would like Meier to get a shot at TE/WR first if Peele or Palmer can't cut it. We have too many young players with question marks. Let's see what we have right now. Draft lineman on either side of the ball is my wish. Dominating lineman make everyone look good.

Cameron Jordan ! mid round

I'll by that or even Kyle Rudolph. I'm so down on available WR's that I'd rather go with RB or TE and TE is more favorable to me. Let me just say that an athletic TE provides as much or even more explosion than WR's at times. A receiving RB and athletic TE makes WR talk moot.

I'll just say this:

Don't underestimate the value of learning under a guy like Tony Gonzalez.

If we don't draft our "TE of the future" this season, we will most likely be losing out on that possibility.

In addition, drafting a TE this year will allow us to ease him into the starting role that he will later be assuming. If we waited until next year, the TE that we drafted would likely be immediately thrown into the fire. It's a sink or swim situation with high expectations.

Drafting a TE this year will make it easier on the kid.

It just makes sense, in my opinion.

I'll just say this:

Don't underestimate the value of learning under a guy like Tony Gonzalez.

If we don't draft our "TE of the future" this season, we will most likely be losing out on that possibility.

In addition, drafting a TE this year will allow us to ease him into the starting role that he will later be assuming. If we waited until next year, the TE that we drafted would likely be immediately thrown into the fire. It's a sink or swim situation with high expectations.

Drafting a TE this year will make it easier on the kid.

It just makes sense, in my opinion.

+1 and spot on!