Interesting CNN article on the late Shane Dronett

sad story, i developed epilepsy from a concussion i never got treated. I was 19 and in college and took a hard hit from a big linebacker, adrenaline was still flowing through me after i held on to the ball after the huge hit and didn't miss a game after the hit. I would take the garbage out at work and have dizzy spells or when i took another hit i would get a dizzy spell and it went on for about a year. Then one day a year later i went to class, after class was over i did my weight lifting and running and when i went home i laid down to take a nap and the next thing i knew i was in an ambulance with them telling me i suffered 2 seizures in my sleep. Once i spent a week in the hospital and they had me own medicine the dizzy spells stopped and i was able to endure hits again without the dizzy spells. After i had done some research i realized i wasn't the first football player it had happened to and came across star NFL players like Samari Rolle. I still take the medicine to this day and will probably be taking it for the rest of my life. Concussions can be very dangerous and a lot of high schools are cracking down on players who try to ignore the injury, in college i was one of those players.

Very sad, and an interesting read. This really changes my opinion on some of the rule changes pertaining to hit's in the NFL. This story really makes you see the human side of the game that most of us never hear about.

I'll admit, I've complained about the way they are calling penalties on hits on the QB for brushing the helmet, but I guess they have to draw the line somewhere otherwise somebody is going to see just how far they can tweak the rules without getting a penalty called against them.

It's easy to forget just how big strong and in shape these pro football players are that are running full speed into each other a lot of times, watching the game as a fan. Pads or not, I assume a lot of times it might compare with a car wreck that would put a normal person in the hospital or worse.

RIP Shane Dronett

Edited by GAFALCONFAN

I’m glad the NFL is taking steps (although baby steps) to try and make the game safer. The idea of having an 18 game season is one for 10 or 12 years down the road.

There are so many older players like Mike Ditka, Joe Namath, **** Butkus, Terry Bradshaw, Gayle Sayers, Jim Brown, Deacon Jones and Alan Page that I know of and they are fine. Maybe there are more of the guys from that era that are not mentally doing well but I just don’t hear about them. It seems like it’s a lot of the guys that played in the late 80’s and the decade of the 90’s that are now having the problems.

I know at that time of course, players were bigger and stronger than at any other prior time in league history. I think at that time, the amount of force players could generate proved to be too much for the equipment to protect against. As a youth football coach, I’ve heard counterparts comment on how some of the helmets are no better than stuff many of the coaches wore in the 1970’s. Some of the new helmets do a much better job but I think there are still many advancements that need to be made in the way players are protected from an equipment stand point.

I love the game as it is and would hate to see it changed, but I never played and would not want to say players know what they are getting into and signing up for. I think if that attitude is taken, then we could be headed for a time when the great athletes are in other less debilitating sports.

The NFL and NCAA should be throwing money left and right at helmet manufactures and research institutions so protective gear can be the best it can be.

Very sad, and an interesting read. This really changes my opinion on some of the rule changes pertaining to hit's in the NFL. This story really makes you see the human side of the game that most of us never hear about.

I'll admit, I've complained about the way they are calling penalties on hits on the QB for brushing the helmet, but I guess they have to draw the line somewhere otherwise somebody is going to see just how far they can tweak the rules without getting a penalty called against them.

It's easy to forget just how big strong and in shape these pro football players are that are running full speed into each other a lot of times, watching the game as a fan. Pads or not, I assume a lot of times it might compare with a car wreck that would put a normal person in the hospital or worse.

RIP Shane Dronett

Totally agree, one could argue the fact that these guys sign up for this lifestyle, but, with today's technology and doctors we are just now really getting an idea of the trauma these guys endure over a career. Not only their bodies, but their brains. Interesting debate, but I am also glad some steps are being taken to protect these men.