Rapidreports 31 Mar 11

hawkeye

Mar. 31, 2011 2:20 p.m. - With the quality DEs in the 2011 NFL draft, Atlanta should select one in the first round. For this not to happen, eight or nine DEs would be taken before Atlanta picks at 27. If that occurs, Atlanta could go OL or WR. Falcons RapidReports

Mar. 31, 2011 2:10 p.m. - Nine of 13 mock drafts surveyed have Atlanta selecting a DE in the first round. Four that differ: NewNFLDraft.com (Boston College OT Anthony Castonzo), Sporting News (Florida C/G Mike Pouncey), NFL.com’s Pat Kirwin (Colorado CB Jimmy Smith), Yahoo.com (Miami CB Brandon Harris). Falcons RapidReports

Mar. 31, 2011 2:07 p.m. - NFLDraftScout.com’s Rob Rang has Atlanta selecting Pittsburgh DE Jabaal Sheard in the first round. Sheard has an off-field issue (arrested for assault) but is involved in assisting the community. Sheard is close to graduating, which is a plus in GM Thomas Dimitroff’s eyes. Falcons RapidReports

Mar. 31, 2011 2:04 p.m. - Three mock drafts (ESPN’s Todd McShay, WalterFootball.com, ScarDraft.com) have Atlanta selecting Georgia DE/LB Justin Houston in the first round. This would be surprising as Atlanta hasn't appeared high on Houston, at least early. Houston was more productive as a 3-4 OLB in college. Falcons RapidReports

Mar. 31, 2011 2:03 p.m. - Four mock drafts (NFLDraftScout.com’s Chad Reuter, ESPN’s Mel Kiper, National Football Post, Sports Illustrated) have Atlanta selecting Iowa DE Adrian Clayborn in the first round. While Clayborn fits the Falcons’ needs, GM Thomas Dimitroff has never drafted a player from the Big Ten. Falcons RapidReports

Mar. 31, 2011 8:49 a.m. - A member of the Falcons represented the team Tuesday at Washington's Pro Day, but he was not there to watch QB Jake Locker. Likely targets were LB Mason Foster and WR D'Andre Goodwin. Foster ran a 4.67 40-yard dash. Goodwin impressed scouts with catching some tough throws from Locker. Falcons RapidReports

Mar. 31, 2011 2:04 p.m. - Three mock drafts (ESPN’s Todd McShay, WalterFootball.com, ScarDraft.com) have Atlanta selecting Georgia DE/LB Justin Houston in the first round. This would be surprising as Atlanta hasn't appeared high on Houston, at least early. Houston was more productive as a 3-4 OLB in college. Falcons RapidReports

Again this comes up about us not being high on him. Still think he is who we really want? I see ppl like g dawg droolin all over this guy and i just dont get it

Again this comes up about us not being high on him. Still think he is who we really want? I see ppl like g dawg droolin all over this guy and i just dont get it

Credibility of this article is destroyed when any actual analysis of J. Houston would show that he was actually FAR more productive wit his hand on the ground in a 4 man front the last 2 years. Pathetic research there.

What is there to get? He's an elite speed rusher with a good sized frame.

I really like Sheard, but I have always felt he's a 2nd round player. I do think he'd be a good fit here skill-wise & would love to have him on the roster. He seems to be moving up internet draft boards, not sure what that means in NFL war rooms though. But I do think we either have to take him at #27 or make sure we have a deal to get to the top 3rd of round 2 to get him.

Sheard wasn't ordered to do any community service as a part of his guilty plea, so if he is doing any, it's on his on. It's also speculated that there were extenuating circumstances that led to the fight as well that led to the lessening of punishment on Sheard from the courts and from the school. I think he would actually pass the Falcons filter, he's got some positives on the the character sheet and if there are extenuating circumstances in the fighting incident, then the negative may not be as bad as it seemed a few months ago.

How exactly does someone in "cyberspace" say Falcons are not showing interest in Justin Houston make it so? On what knowledge to they base that statement? was there no Falcon reps at his workout? have we not scheduled a private visit?

please give me more than somebody in their basement on the internet saying Falcons are not interested in Justin Houston please.

And yet we still had a private workout with him (Houston). He is #1 on my list (Kerrigan would be if he's there). He only played one year at OLB. He is much better with his hand on the ground. Add to that he's up to 270 with great burst, I would love to have him at #27m (if he's there)

I really like Sheard, but I have always felt he's a 2nd round player. I do think he'd be a good fit here skill-wise & would love to have him on the roster. He seems to be moving up internet draft boards, not sure what that means in NFL war rooms though. But I do think we either have to take him at #27 or make sure we have a deal to get to the top 3rd of round 2 to get him.

Sheard wasn't ordered to do any community service as a part of his guilty plea, so if he is doing any, it's on his on. It's also speculated that there were extenuating circumstances that led to the fight as well that led to the lessening of punishment on Sheard from the courts and from the school. I think he would actually pass the Falcons filter, he's got some positives on the the character sheet and if there are extenuating circumstances in the fighting incident, then the negative may not be as bad as it seemed a few months ago.

That's the only way we get him. I think he's the best 43 DE in the

late 1st-2nd range. And once again I was told he has a w/o with us.

Mar. 31, 2011 2:04 p.m. - Three mock drafts (ESPN's Todd McShay, WalterFootball.com, ScarDraft.com) have Atlanta selecting Georgia DE/LB Justin Houston in the first round. This would be surprising as Atlanta hasn't appeared high on Houston, at least early. Houston was more productive as a 3-4 OLB in college. Falcons RapidReports

It's a repeat of an earlier report, nothing new, literally. And anyone who thinks Houston was more productive as a 3/4 OLB isn't trustworthy enough to trust.

Credibility of this article is destroyed when any actual analysis of J. Houston would show that he was actually FAR more productive wit his hand on the ground in a 4 man front the last 2 years. Pathetic research there.

What is there to get? He's an elite speed rusher with a good sized frame.

agreed. +1......just posted article showing Falcons are going to do a private workout with Justin Houston.

Man, Clayborn was by far the best DE in the land in 2009, I wonder why he fell off last year .......?

because he's coachable and doesn't care what the stat sheet looks like, except for wins.

the coaches changed from a more aggressive 1-gap to more of a 2-gap defence and got clayborn to gain at least 10 lbs if not more to benefit the rest of the team and the program. both moves impacted clayborn's play negatively, it just does not fit his style. he's the type of guy that you just want to unleash, let him follow his own instincts rather than making him think and then react.

good thing he can do just that in our 1-gap D and we use lighter DEs too (except Anderson) so that shouldn't be a problem.

because he's coachable and doesn't care what the stat sheet looks like, except for wins.

the coaches changed from a more aggressive 1-gap to more of a 2-gap defence and got clayborn to gain at least 10 lbs if not more to benefit the rest of the team and the program. both moves impacted clayborn's play negatively, it just does not fit his style. he's the type of guy that you just want to unleash, let him follow his own instincts rather than making him think and then react.

good thing he can do just that in our 1-gap D and we use lighter DEs too (except Anderson) so that shouldn't be a problem.

If Clayborn falls to us at 27 I will be SSOOOO happy.