What about OLB?

jddurden

I know all the drafts have us taking a DE in the first and I agree with that. The problem I see is that those same drafts are ignoring our OLB problems. I would love to resign Nicholas but he may want to much $. Peterson is 35 and will be serviceable this year, but what about next? If Bruce Carter were available in the 2nd would you take him or maybe the Bloodline in the 4th?

I know all the drafts have us taking a DE in the first and I agree with that. The problem I see is that those same drafts are ignoring our OLB problems. I would love to resign Nicholas but he may want to much $. Peterson is 35 and will be serviceable this year, but what about next? If Bruce Carter were available in the 2nd would you take him or maybe the Bloodline in the 4th?

While the Washington Huskies disgust me, id like to get Foster. Great instincts, great athlete, and is big and strong enough to also back up Lofton at MLB. A few weeks ago most mock pundits had him as around a 4th rd guy, but if its true he ran under a 4.7 40, he might have moved up into the late 2nd - mid 3rd range.

For me DE is first and OLB is second.

I see OLB in about the same light I see our cb situation. I think with a good DE our OLBs would be alright if we resign Nicholas. If we don't then we will definitely need a replacement this year, because we would be 1 injury away from a below average player being on the field.

I see OLB as a need, but you can always get quality linebackers in rounds 3-5. Having just invested our 1st last year and a high 2nd on Lofton in 2008, I say use a mid round pick to address the position.

What do you guys think about Akeem Dent as a possible late round choice?

I don't think the mocks you are looking at are ignoring our issues at OLB. I'd love to have an OLB in the 1st, but realistically, what OLB would you take? The only ones that will go in the 1st are the 3-4 type OLBs, not one that would fit our scheme (outside of Von Miller & he's not dropping to us).

Our OLB potential is in the 2nd round. Brooks Reed has moved up a lot of mocks because of his combine & workouts. I say let him move ahead of Carter on draftboards around the NFL as well. Gives us a better shot at drafting Carter in the 2nd & I think Carter will be the much better pro player. My dream scenario has us getting Carter in the 2nd round, and I do think it's possible where we are picking. It's going to be a gamble though if we don't move up. If we fail to get an OLB in the 1st or 2nd round, then I think we have to look at it in the 3rd. One guy I've liked for a while there is K.J. Wright. Whenever we do it, I do believe that OLB is a big enough need that we're going to have to address it early during the first 2 days of the draft.

I would'nt mind us having a look at Bruce Carter.

I was listening to Butch Davis is college coach and though he may be biased thinks Carter is an exceptional talent pitty about his injury history though but he may well be worth a look.

I'd be all for it if he lasts until our 2nd pick. He had just terrible timing on that injury. Extremely talented player.