Drafttek 7round mock - Scott Carasik picking for Falcons

g-dawg

Draftek 7 round mock

it would never go down this way but if it did I would be stoked:

Falcon picks:

1st)Justin Houston,DE-Georgia

2nd)Torrey Smith,WR-Maryland

3rd)Kendall Hunter,RB-Oklahoma State

4th)Greg Little,WR-North Carolina (he would be a STEAL in 4th!)

5th)Josh Bynes,WLB-Auburn

6th)Lee Ziemba,OT-Auburn

6th)Jordan Cameron,TE-USC (per official draft order this is 7th rounder)

7th)Nathan Enderle,QB-Idaho

7th)Mario Butler,CB-Georgia Tech

I'm not so crazy about his picks from the 5th round and thereafter but those first four picks are solid as ****. I don't want Torrey Smith in Rd. 1 but would be happy with him in Rd. 2. I really, really like Greg Little - he has size, strength and YAC - three things Falcons need. I realize we don't necessarily need 2 WRs in this draft but that would be a value pick - Falcons would be LOADED at WR with Roddy, Torrey Smith, Greg Little, HD, Weems and Kerry Meier. We would have to trade Michael Jenkins though......too many numbers at the position.

I really like Greg Little a lot. Outside of AJ and Julio, I think Greg Little has the best combination of size, strength, running skills and YAC. Greg Little has the look of a San Diego Charger WR - and that is a complement.

I know you are not big on taking 2 WR in this draft, but I don't mind the idea. We do have 9 picks and if we can't address TE effectively, then load up on 2 good WR.

I would take Little in the 3rd and wait on Hunter, instead of the other way around. There will still be lots of RB in the 4th. Can't see any scenario that has Smith drifting to #59, unless he's been hanging out with Aqib Talib.

I know you are not big on taking 2 WR in this draft, but I don't mind the idea. We do have 9 picks and if we can't address TE effectively, then load up on 2 good WR.

I would take Little in the 3rd and wait on Hunter, instead of the other way around. There will still be lots of RB in the 4th. Can't see any scenario that has Smith drifting to #59, unless he's been hanging out with Aqib Talib.

agree with everything you said. Supposedly there may be some character issues with Greg Little (i dunno :unsure: ). If not, I agree I could easily take him in 3rd round and grab a RB in 4th. There is going to be a good RB left in 4th round most likely.

Torrey Smith is supposed to be a clean-cut kid that helped raise his younger siblings - sounds like he is cut from same cloth as Warrick Dunn - so doubt Smith is hangin' with the low-life's of the world like Talib.

I'm a big Dawg fan, but I just don't get the Justin Houston thing. I'd rather move up for Kerrigan or Clayborn than settle for Houston at 27. Maybe it was the switch to the 3-4, but I don't really ever recall being that impressed with him. Am I missing something?

I'm a big Dawg fan, but I just don't get the Justin Houston thing. I'd rather move up for Kerrigan or Clayborn than settle for Houston at 27. Maybe it was the switch to the 3-4, but I don't really ever recall being that impressed with him. Am I missing something?

Nope. I don't get it either. He reminds me alot of JA98 actually when he came out. Everyone seems to think we can find an instant impact DE at #27 ..IMO, those guys are long gone, there will be no primo DE's available, which is why I want to go FA DE , and go another route with that #27 ....

yes, you are missing something:

18 sacks

34 tackles-for-loss

in his last 23 games.

That is all you are missing B)

18 sacks

34 tackles-for-loss

in his last 23 games.

Those are definitely great numbers, I guess my frustration with Richt and our crappy play in general just soured me on any bulldog not named Green. I just don't remember him wowing me. Granted, the last couple years have really been frustrating to me.

Nope. I don't get it either. He reminds me alot of JA98 actually when he came out. Everyone seems to think we can find an instant impact DE at #27 ..IMO, those guys are long gone, there will be no primo DE's available, which is why I want to go FA DE , and go another route with that #27 ....

I think Falcons need to sign a FA DE(Johnson/Edwards/Kiwanuka) and draft Justin Houston. This is probably John Abraham's last year in Falcon uni. Abe's contract runs out after 2011 at which point he would be 34yrs old going into 2012 season. I look for Falcons to let Abraham walk in 2012. Falcons always rotate Abraham anyway so bringing in Charles Johnson and Justin Houston would allow Falcons to run a 4 man rotation with Abe/Johnson/Houston/Bierrman to keep everyone fresh and productive. Quarterbacks would FINALLY fear the Falcons.

18 sacks

34 tackles-for-loss

in his last 23 games.

But 3-4 LBer is going to be his natural position in the NFL ...how can we know he can put his hand on the ground and play 4-3 DE in the NFL ? He will be limited to situational pass rusher, he's a finesse guy 6-2, 255 with limited physical upside ...if we go DE #1, I wouyld rather have the complete package, a guy like Clayborn. i bet the Chiefs snatch him anyway, Houston would be perfect for them to pair up with Hall .

Those are definitely great numbers, I guess my frustration with Richt and our crappy play in general just soured me on any bulldog not named Green. I just don't remember him wowing me. Granted, the last couple years have really been frustrating to me.

well, Justin definitely has to get more consistent as that is "the knock" on him and I don't disagree. Having said that, many very good players struggle from time-to-time with consistency. Even though Justin was highly productive he did have to adjust to playing OLB last year - that gets glossed over by the talking heads. With the Falcons, they can let Justin focus on doing what he does best, rush the passer.

I see Justin Houston's role with Falcons to be much like what Abe's has been. Starting DE who gets rotated out on some of the more obvious rushing downs. I believe Justin Houston can be a perennial 10+ sacks/yr kind of player.

But 3-4 LBer is going to be his natural position in the NFL ...how can we know he can put his hand on the ground and play 4-3 DE in the NFL ? He will be limited to situational pass rusher, he's a finesse guy 6-2, 255 with limited physical upside ...if we go DE #1, I wouyld rather have the complete package, a guy like Clayborn. i bet the Chiefs snatch him anyway, Houston would be perfect for them to pair up with Hall .

ONNNNNKKKKKK!!!! Not true freebird.

Justin Houston is 6'2.7" and 270lbs - those were his numbers at combine. He ran a 4.68/40 at combine and supossedly(grain of salt) ran a 4.57/40 at pro-day.

Justin Houston has played HIS ENTIRE CAREER at Defensive End before 2010 - he played OLB for ONE FRIGGIN' YEAR.

He's big enough...

He's smart enough...

and by God, I like him :P

ONNNNNKKKKKK!!!! Not true freebird.

Justin Houston is 6'2.7" and 270lbs - those were his numbers at combine. He ran a 4.68/40 at combine and supossedly(grain of salt) ran a 4.57/40 at pro-day.

Justin Houston has played HIS ENTIRE CAREER at Defensive End before 2010 - he played OLB for ONE FRIGGIN' YEAR.

He's big enough...

He's smart enough...

and by God, I like him :P

LOL, OK brah, I just hope for your sake KC don't get him first, there is alot of talk he will be their pick .......

LOL, OK brah, I just hope for your sake KC don't get him first, there is alot of talk he will be their pick .......

yeah, hope the Chefs don't take him - but I would rather Houston go to the Chefs(yes, I'm spelling it wrong on purpose) than to an NFC South rival like Bucs/Saints.

Whats funny is people think he is a bit small for us but outside of Anderson who has been mostly a DT now for us. at 6'3 270 he's actually bigger than any other DE we have. I think abe has him on height by a inch but houston has him on weight by like 10 pounds.

Most of our De's are actually olb's playing DE which is why we can drop them in coverage which we are known to do and thats why i personally target 3-4 olb / 4-3 DE prospects like Houston, Kerrigan, smith as they pretty much fit the style and scheme we use our DE's for already.

Whats funny is people think he is a bit small for us but outside of Anderson who has been mostly a DT now for us. at 6'3 270 he's actually bigger than any other DE we have. I think abe has him on height by a inch but houston has him on weight by like 10 pounds.

Most of our De's are actually olb's playing DE which is why we can drop them in coverage which we are known to do and thats why i personally target 3-4 olb / 4-3 DE prospects like Houston, Kerrigan, smith as they pretty much fit the style and scheme we use our DE's for already.

God I wish BVG would quit doing that ........ :angry:

I think Falcons need to sign a FA DE(Johnson/Edwards/Kiwanuka) and draft Justin Houston. This is probably John Abraham's last year in Falcon uni. Abe's contract runs out after 2011 at which point he would be 34yrs old going into 2012 season. I look for Falcons to let Abraham walk in 2012. Falcons always rotate Abraham anyway so bringing in Charles Johnson and Justin Houston would allow Falcons to run a 4 man rotation with Abe/Johnson/Houston/Bierrman to keep everyone fresh and productive. Quarterbacks would FINALLY fear the Falcons.

I like this idea. My whole hesitation about drafting a DE at 27 is based on needing immediate help.

I like Kerrigan, but to get him, I think you have to move past Tampa. The cost to vault past the Buccaneers is probably a 3rd and a 5th. I don't think Kerrigan is those 2 picks more valuable than Justin Houston.

Clayborn we might get at #27, but I wouldn't chase after him.

DE is a must this year at pick 1 or 2. beirmann and abe are fine but abe needs to be rotated more. i think we resign abe after this year something like peterson's contract. But either way DE high is needed to keep a talented rotation. i just don't see a FA here, does't make sense.

I dont see the staff sitting beirmann or abe, to put a less talented FA in. Draft a guy who will spell with abe for the next 2-3 years then become abe's replacement. This is the only logical choice.

I think Falcons need to sign a FA DE(Johnson/Edwards/Kiwanuka) and draft Justin Houston. This is probably John Abraham's last year in Falcon uni. Abe's contract runs out after 2011 at which point he would be 34yrs old going into 2012 season.

This is what i have been saying. Not only do we need a quality DE now to start, we also need to start developing Abes replacement now.

I would love to grab Greg Little. He's one of my favorite prospects in the entire draft.

But this guy wouldnt even sniff the door of the falcons filter.

He's done some pretty immature things in the past, i.e. kicking the ball into the stands after a touchdown, taunting an injured player, lots of after play jabber. Not to mention being suspended all of last year.

He's a beast though. Realistically I just dont see it happening, but would love if it did.