Assuming these 25 guys are gone at 27

van note

I have scoured a lot of Mock Drafts and on the average, all of these guys will be gone by #25. (I have left out the QB's for obvious reasons.) Who do the Falcons pick as their 1st round guy? I realize that a few of these guys will slip down because of QB picks, but assume that these are gone, who do you pick, or do you trade down considering what is left? The numbers are not intended to correlate to draft pick order.

• Nick Fairley
  • Da'Quan Bowers
  • Patrick Peterson
  • A.J. Green
  • Marcell Dareus
  • Prince Amukamara
  • Robert Quinn
  • Von Miller
  • Julio Jones
  • Ryan Kerrigan
  • Nate Solder
  • Mark Ingram
  • Cameron Jordan
  • Aldon Smith
  • Adrian Clayborn
  • Mike Pouncey
  • Cameron Heyward
  • Anthony Castonzo
  • Tyron Smith
  • Gabe Carimi
  • J. J. Watt
  • Justin Houston
  • Corey Liuget

Edited by van note

I have scoured a lot of Mock Drafts and on the average, all of these guys will be gone by #25. (I have left out the QB's for obvious reasons.) Who do the Falcons pick as their 1st round guy? I realize that a few of these guys will slip down because of QB picks, but assume that these are gone, who do you pick, or do you trade down considering what is left? The numbers are not intended to correlate to draft pick order.

• Nick Fairley
  • Da’Quan Bowers
  • Patrick Peterson
  • A.J. Green
  • Marcell Dareus
  • Prince Amukamara
  • Robert Quinn
  • Von Miller
  • Julio Jones
  • Ryan Kerrigan
  • Nate Solder
  • Mark Ingram
  • Cameron Jordan
  • Aldon Smith
  • Adrian Clayborn
  • Justin Houston
  • Mike Pouncey
  • Cameron Heyward
  • Anthony Castonzo
  • Tyron Smith
  • Gabe Carimi
  • J. J. Watt
  • Justin Houston
  • Corey Liuget

Didn't know if you were aware you have Justin Houston in there twice.

Man, reading that list and trying to figure out who was who hurt my head. Maybe this reformat will help:

DT:

Nick Fairley

Marcell Dareus

Corey Liuget

DE:

Da’Quan Bowers

Robert Quinn

Ryan Kerrigan

Cameron Jordan

Aldon Smith

Adrian Clayborn

Justin Houston

Cameron Heyward

J. J. Watt

CB:

Patrick Peterson

Prince Amukamara

WR:

A.J. Green

Julio Jones

LB:

Von Miller

OT:

Nate Solder

Anthony Castonzo

Gabe Carimi

Tyron Smith

RB:

Mark Ingram

OG:

Mike Pouncey

There are several good CBs on the board (I know this would be a controversial pick, but I think it would be solid at 27).

RB Mikel Leshoure is still on the board.

Everyone's favorite late 1st round WR is still on the board.

A surprise pick might be Akeem Ayers - SLB - UCLA If you can't upgrade the DE spot to put pressure on the QB, the upgrade the linebackers and start using more blitzes to put pressure on the QB. From ESPN:

6-3, 254, 4.7/40 (had a poor measured 40 time, but plays fast)

Production 1 2007: Redshirted. 2008: (12/3) 40 tackles, 5 TFL, 4 sacks, 3 PBU, 1 FF. 2009: (13/13) 75 tackles, 14.5 TFL, 6 sacks, 3 PBU, 4 INT (2 returned for TD), 4 FF.

Height-Weight-Speed 2 Is built like a strong-side linebacker with very good height and a well-proportioned build. Has excellent bulk for his frame and also has better than average speed.

Durability 1 Has played in all 25 games during two seasons of eligibility so far, including 16 starts.

Intangibles 2 Voted a team captain as a senior. Solid student with no off the field issues to our knowledge. Puts in the work and continues to improve each season.

Quicker than most SLB's with his size. Can be a sideline-to-sideline run defender when allowed to play off the line of scrimmage and roam freely Underrated aspect of his game is the ability to seal off the edge, force the ball carrier back inside, and then close quickly while pursuing him inside. Plays through the whistle and makes more than his share of plays when pursuing from behind.

I would try like CRAZY to trade down....if I was stuck with the pick I would probably take either Derek Sherod-OT(#1) or Kyle Rudolph-TE(#2).....none of the WR are worthy of the pick at #1-27. I would probably do a lot of research on Brooks Reed as well - not sure if he can only play 3-4 OLB or if he could be a 4-3 DE or 4-3 SLB for us - he's a playmaker though.

Man, reading that list and trying to figure out who was who hurt my head. Maybe this reformat will help:

DT:

Nick Fairley

Marcell Dareus

Corey Liuget

DE:

Da'Quan Bowers

Robert Quinn

Ryan Kerrigan

Cameron Jordan

Aldon Smith

Adrian Clayborn

Justin Houston

Cameron Heyward

J. J. Watt

CB:

Patrick Peterson

Prince Amukamara

WR:

A.J. Green

Julio Jones

LB:

Von Miller

OT:

Nate Solder

Anthony Castonzo

Gabe Carimi

Tyron Smith

RB:

Mark Ingram

OG:

Mike Pouncey

There are several good CBs on the board (I know this would be a controversial pick, but I think it would be solid at 27).

RB Mikel Leshoure is still on the board.

Everyone's favorite late 1st round WR is still on the board.

A surprise pick might be Akeem Ayers - SLB - UCLA If you can't upgrade the DE spot to put pressure on the QB, the upgrade the linebackers and start using more blitzes to put pressure on the QB. From ESPN:

Thanks. I don't have the answer, I just wondered what you guys would do. I guess we have to wait and see how many QB's are taken and see who falls to the Falcs. I know these draft "what if" threads are swamping the board, but I kinda got concerned when I saw how many good guys would be gone by the time 27 comes up.

I just did this yesterday, I keep coming up with guys like Justin Houston, Kyle Rudolph, Jonathan Baldwin, Torrey Smith, Randall Cobb and Leonard Hankerson being available. Out of that group I think Justin Houston is a strong possibility followed by Kyle Rudolph.

I think Rudolph needs to run and run well to get back up to this position in the draft. Houston I think is almost a lock. He is a local guy that played 4-3 DE successfully in the SEC. A young lead pass rusher is what Atlanta needs more than anything else.

Falcons could try and move up if A.J. Green falls outside the top 5. There are other pass rushers like Aldon Smith I really like that would be in striking distance, especially if we are talking about the 11 - 19 area. Much easier to move up into the teens than the top 10.

I just did this yesterday, I keep coming up with guys like Justin Houston, Kyle Rudolph, Jonathan Baldwin, Torrey Smith, Randall Cobb and Leonard Hankerson being available. Out of that group I think Justin Houston is a strong possibility followed by Kyle Rudolph.

I think Rudolph needs to run and run well to get back up to this position in the draft. Houston I think is almost a lock. He is a local guy that played 4-3 DE successfully in the SEC. A young lead pass rusher is what Atlanta needs more than anything else.

Falcons could try and move up if A.J. Green falls outside the top 5. There are other pass rushers like Aldon Smith I really like that would be in striking distance, especially if we are talking about the 11 - 19 area. Much easier to move up into the teens than the top 10.

agree - I think you will see Falcons "move ahead of Saints" to secure Justin Houston. We basically keep our 2nd round pick intact, we give up our 3rd round pick and get a 4th rounder back - if we can talk the Eagles/Chiefs/Colts into this - and its fair per trade chart - this would be ideal. Falcons would not lose "net picks" and would only devalue their 3rd rounder by one round to a 4th rounder - that would be fine.

yeah, surely to goodness somebody is gonna want to come up for Locker, Mallet or Ponder.....

I keep thinking that has got to be 3 QB drafted in round 1. I think Mallet has to be the guy. I know he make some bad decisions at times, but the same could have been said for Ryan as he had a lot of INT's in college (I know his WR's were not the best). Not comparing the too as Ryan was considered a flawless character guy and a mature leader/face of the franchise.

I honestly never heard any of the character stuff with Mallet until this draft season. He can throw it, and he puts up numbers in the SEC. I know he is big and slow, but I can't see how Miami or Jacksonville would not be takers in round 1. Move back and maybe you could get him along with an extra pick or two. Even at 15 or 16 the contract is not going to be too big.

where are the qb's?

No qb's going in top 25 (which obviously pushes some of these guys on your list down to us)?

I think Gabbert or Newton being taken was implied with the 1 slot not mentioned. That said if that happens, we will have a very valuable pick at 27. Locker, Dalton, Mallett, Ponder and a Newton or Gabbert all sitting there?

Edited by paulitik

1) Trade down

2) Martez Wilson, SLB

3) Derek Sherrod, OT

4) Jimmy Smith, CB

5) Jon Baldwin, WR

6) Kyle Rudolph, TE

If we were sitting in that spot I think we'd have to take Tez. I think if he lands in a 4-3 and is asked to play SLB he will be a stud. Also at 6'4 and 250 lbs with a knack for rushing the passer, he could be developed as a RDE in a 4-3 potentially. I've seen mocks gaining steam with him being selected by the Falcons which makes me happy -- he's an explosive defender with 4.4 speed and can cover against the pass and rush the defender.

I think a CB trio of Dunta and Jimmy Smith as the CBs and Brent Grimes as the nickel is nasty since Grimes biggest weakness is his height, but guarding the slot WR takes away this disadvantage more often than not. But Smith's character concerns may have taken him off of our board, and with uncertainty at the tackle position and the inconsistent play of Sam Baker, we could use a true LT to move Baker inside to OG or to RT.

I highly doubt this will be the case for 2 reasons. One, there's a good chance 3 QBs go somewhere in the 1st. Second, I can guaruntee there will be at least one, if not two picks ahead of us that will make you say...."Who???" It happens every year.

agree - I think you will see Falcons "move ahead of Saints" to secure Justin Houston. We basically keep our 2nd round pick intact, we give up our 3rd round pick and get a 4th rounder back - if we can talk the Eagles/Chiefs/Colts into this - and its fair per trade chart - this would be ideal. Falcons would not lose "net picks" and would only devalue their 3rd rounder by one round to a 4th rounder - that would be fine.

I'm not so sure the Falcons will trade up for Houston. I think if he is there at #27, we might take him as he will likely be the last of the best DEs, but my impression is that the Falcons aren't that high on him, which leads me to believe that they won't trade up for him. If we're to trade up, I think it will be for someone else.

I like Houston though, and I would love him at #27, but I'm not of the impression that the Falcons' FO feels the same way.

I would take Akeem Ayers, OLB.

It is a need, and best available talent.

Brandon Harris, CB would be the other guy to keep an eye on.

-Grimes will be FA

-Owens is iffy

-Dunta will get more expensive every year

with no QB's going in the top 25 the list will never happen. 8 of top 10 teams are DESPERATE for a QB. at least 2 of them will go in the top 10, and most likely 3 in round one, with another going in the late teens.

I would take Akeem Ayers, OLB.

It is a need, and best available talent.

Brandon Harris, CB would be the other guy to keep an eye on.

-Grimes will be FA

-Owens is iffy

-Dunta will get more expensive every year

with no QB's going in the top 25 the list will never happen. 8 of top 10 teams are DESPERATE for a QB. at least 2 of them will go in the top 10, and most likely 3 in round one, with another going in the late teens.

I guess I need to go back to grammar school because I only have 23 on the list after taking Justin Houston off twice. There are actually 23 guys so that allows for 3 QB's to go ahead of the Falcs picks. I guess my impression when looking at the list is that there is a serious drop in talent to make the Falcons 1 round almost like a 2nd round.

And I would be trading down. Obviously all those guys wont be gone by our turn, but for this illustration we need one of those DE's or OL.

Obviously all of those guys could easily be gone actually.

Trading down is a cop out. You can't alwasye do that.

If this is the scenerio and we can't trade down then its between 2 players for me:

1.a. - Sheard - DE from Pitt - the next best 4-3 edge rusher on the board IF his character concerns make through TD's filter.

1.b. - T. Smith - WR from Maryland - most explosive big play WR in the draft.