Friend making his Grade on Offensive Line

Courtesy of Gene Estes G247:

MOVING ON UP: Redshirt sophomore Chris Burnette practiced at first-string right guard on Tuesday, according to new UGA offensive line coach Will Friend.

“I grade everything that goes on, and Chris has graded pretty good,” Friend said. “So he got to work with the ones today at the guard spot.”

Currently, the right guard spot is also home to Brent Benedict and Justin Anderson, each of whom missed last season because of injury.

While Benedict was practicing full-speed before the Liberty Bowl, Anderson (who moved back from the defensive line) only recently was cleared to run while recovering from season-ending toe surgery in September.

“As he gets tired, he’s not all the way in great shape that he needs to be,” Friend said of Anderson. “But he’s powerful. He’s big. I think he wants to do well. He’s kind of behind a little bit. … Just hearing it over and over and repetition is so important in the offensive line, and I think he’s behind in that.

“If he can get all that together, though, he’s got all kinds of tools. And he’s not all the way healthy.”

Burnette also missed most of the 2010 season because of injury. He dislocated his knee last September

OL SHUFFLES: Friend confirmed previous reports that Cordy Glenn and Trinton Sturdivant have been switching between left and right tackle this spring, and the new position coach indicated that the battle for that position is open right now.

Glenn, who has past experience at guard and tackle, moved back to tackle this spring after starting every game at guard in 2010.

“He’s rusty there,” Friend said of Glenn. “He’s got a lot of potential. … He could be a dominant player, and we need him to be one.”

---------

WEIGHT GAINS: Much has been made over the offseason weight gains among UGA’s offensive linemen. But in Friend’s mind, it was too much in some cases.

“There’s a few of them that need to lose some,” Friend said. “If you can put on weight and still move and still bend and do those things, but if you can’t move and do that anymore, then you might as well be 15-20 pounds lighter where you can.”

Three different linemen – Glenn (+28), reserve tackle A.J. Harmon (+25) and guard Kenarious Gates (+21) – gained at least 20 pounds, according to updated roster weights provided by UGA. Two others – center Ben Jones and Anderson – each gained 16 pounds under the direction of the program’s new strength coach Joe Tereshinski.

Edited by crap sandwich

So, we already have issues with the players not being developed physically properly to play their position by Joe T and co. My confidence in the S/T program just evaporated. The newest coach on the staff just called them out for how much weight they've gained.

Please tell me I'm an idiot! Please!

Edited by Mr Pickle1

So, we already have issues with the players not being developed physically properly to play their position by Joe T and co. My confidence in the S/T program just evaporated. The newest coach on the staff just called them out for how much weight they've gained.

Please tell me I'm an idiot! Please!

I think this will be a moot point once practice really gets going. A lot of the weight the players have put on will be lost during practice and into the season. Weight will go down and flexibility and quickness will return

I think this will be a moot point once practice really gets going. A lot of the weight the players have put on will be lost during practice and into the season. Weight will go down and flexibility and quickness will return

I sincerely hope so. I just want to hear that everything is going brilliantly as far as S/C is concerned. And it's time for the OL not to be a concern.

yep.. and they will have a hard time during the season to keep on the weight as well.. our S&C is kicking some major butt this offseason..

yep.. and they will have a hard time during the season to keep on the weight as well.. our S&C is kicking some major butt this offseason..

I also think Friend coming from UAB, never dealt with players this big at all- not even close. I think he will see that in the SEC this will be a plus. However, I do think Glenn is to big to play tackle- that worries me. Scares me becuase I think he wanted the move or that was maybe promised in exchange for him to return to help his draft status. 6'5 345 is a OG all the way. I can see what Freind is saying, there is no way that monster can even come close to being quick enough to stop someone like J. Clowney! Also remember we're in our 5th? practice of the spring - Not everything is going to be perfect, plenty of time to make adjustments before the fall. I would like to think thats much of what spring ball is for.

Thank you guys, gotta work on my quick negative trigger.

Coach P, listen that wasn't a negative trigger, that is a valid concern. What we will see is Coach T get these guys where Coach Friend wants them. Had to laugh at Friend's comments about them no being able to move, but then I thought that is not too good. :o :wacko:

Edited by crap sandwich

Thank you guys, gotta work on my quick negative trigger.

Naw, not a quick negative trigger. A valid concern in the context of the article. I've been following the S&C very closely as I feel like it's the root of a lot of our troubles recently. And while I was thrilled with the results I heard so far, I was also a little concerned that some of these big jumpers in weight might have an affect on their agility.

However, I'm not concerned at this point. They're bound to be a little rusty still, since they've only had a handful of practices so far; they've got a new coach, and some are trying new positions. Plus, they're not used to carrying the extra weight they just added. So, they'll be fine. Plus, as summer rolls around and real practice gets ramped up, they'll have harder time keeping it on. If anything, it's good we're seeing this now, as it will allow them time to tweak things during the summer as need be.

Move people around all you want during the off-season as long as we don't do that again in-season. Part of the problem with the OL, besides being fat and weak, was that they couldn't operate as a unit because Searels was moving them around too much. Boling was the only one who didn't suffer for it.

Why bother trying Sturdivant at RT and Glenn at LT? Sturdivant is the prototypical skillset and size for LT and Glenn is very athletic for a projected NFL guard, but he is not a LT. He could be a rich man's Chester Adams at RT next year, though.

The weight will be less of an issue once the weather gets hot and the speed training ramps up.

Is Benedict getting a look at RG but not RT bc of the knee and range of movement?