Found the perfect replacement to Norwood, Mario Fannin

Mario Fannin, RB, Auburn

Height: 5-10. Weight: 231.

Projected 40 Time: 4.55.

Combine 40 Time: 4.37.

Pro Day 40 Time: .

Benchx225: . Vertical: 37.5. Broad: .

Projected Round (2011): 4-6.

2/28/11: Mario Fannin was the third-string running back at Auburn, but opened up some eyes at the Combine. He ran a 4.37 40 and notched a 37.5-inch vertical at 5-10, 231 pounds. Fannin is not a good runner, but he has proven that he can excel at catching the ball out of the backfield. He could become a solid third-down back in the NFL.

3/29/10: Mario Fannin rushed the ball only 34 times in 2009. The intrigue is his ability in the passing game; he caught 42 balls for 413 yards.

I think there will be many more talented and versatile RB's in 2011's 4th round.

You are correct, there will be many more, but will you find one who is this versa-tel? And who can catch the ball as well and has the size even to be a every down back if needed, Plus he was one of the fastest RB at the combine with a 4.3 40 at 220 lbs plus??????? If you fine one , please let me know..

You are correct, there will be many more, but will you find one who is this versa-tel? And who can catch the ball as well and has the size even to be a every down back if needed, Plus he was one of the fastest RB at the combine with a 4.3 40 at 220 lbs plus??????? If you fine one , please let me know..

You said right off the top that "Fannin is not a good runner" which means he's not versatile. What's the point of drafting a RB who strength is not running the ball. Fannin is big and tough to tackle, but he doesn't play to his 40 time and in Micahel Turner and Jason Snelling, we have plenty of inside running.

You could probably get Jaquizz Rodgers or Derrick Locke in the 4th. They can catch the ball, run outside and return kicks...more balanced to the current roster and more versatile.

Actually I've been looking at Fannin as well, but even in the 6th we could take a chance on Brandon Saine out of Ohio State. 5'11" 220 lbs with 4.43 speed, Saine is also known to be a very good receiver, he's mostly had injury issues. Even Da'Rel Scott out of Maryland. 5'11" 211 lbs with 4.34 speed. I doubt we would take Scott as he reportedly has a questionable work ethic. Depends on what our scouts found out about him.

They all have warts, but that's why they're in the 6th and 7th round, or even UDFA

For the record. I would take Saine in the 6th. I think he has all the tools, and was just unfortunate early in his career with injuries, but he's been healthy the last 2 years.

You said right off the top that "Fannin is not a good runner" which means he's not versatile. What's the point of drafting a RB who strength is not running the ball. Fannin is big and tough to tackle, but he doesn't play to his 40 time and in Micahel Turner and Jason Snelling, we have plenty of inside running.

You could probably get Jaquizz Rodgers or Derrick Locke in the 4th. They can catch the ball, run outside and return kicks...more balanced to the current roster and more versatile.

This is something I coppied from a Draft site that always thinks they have to come up with a negative even if they are contradicting what they just said was a strength.. The just kills me to read those things. Fannin may go in the 5th or 6th rounds but usually these type players go up the board instead of down.

Actually I've been looking at Fannin as well, but even in the 6th we could take a chance on Brandon Saine out of Ohio State. 5'11" 220 lbs with 4.43 speed, Saine is also known to be a very good receiver, he's mostly had injury issues. Even Da'Rel Scott out of Maryland. 5'11" 211 lbs with 4.34 speed. I doubt we would take Scott as he reportedly has a questionable work ethic. Depends on what our scouts found out about him.

They all have warts, but that's why they're in the 6th and 7th round, or even UDFA

For the record. I would take Saine in the 6th. I think he has all the tools, and was just unfortunate early in his career with injuries, but he's been healthy the last 2 years.

Well, that's the problem now with Norwood who is one of my favorite people on the team but can't stay healthy. I down grade players big time who have injury issues and work ethic, I just don't put them on my board. Some people are just not made right to play Pro football. If they can't stay healthy in College , do you really expect them to make it in the bigs?

Well, that's the problem now with Norwood who is one of my favorite people on the team but can't stay healthy. I down grade players big time who have injury issues and work ethic, I just don't put them on my board. Some people are just not made right to play Pro football. If they can't stay healthy in College , do you really expect them to make it in the bigs?

Sometimes ... I always look at Terrell Davis as the example. He couldn't put 4 games together at UGA without injury. That's how you get his talent in the 6th round instead of the 2nd.

It bothers me drafting guys that "had their shot" in college and end up being back-ups in college.

Granted, its Auburn who just won the National Championship but do you want to draft your RB to be major player on Falcons who was 3rd string on his college team? :unsure:

This is something I coppied from a Draft site that always thinks they have to come up with a negative even if they are contradicting what they just said was a strength.. The just kills me to read those things. Fannin may go in the 5th or 6th rounds but usually these type players go up the board instead of down.

I agree some of the rep Fannin has gotten is fishy. Scouts have said he had fumbling issues, but I can't find evidence of that. Normally the strength and speed combine numbers can drive up a players value, when they are used to reinforce production and good game film. Fannin doesn't have a lot of college production or film, so you start to wonder why not?

I agree some of the rep Fannin has gotten is fishy. Scouts have said he had fumbling issues, but I can't find evidence of that. Normally the strength and speed combine numbers can drive up a players value, when they are used to reinforce production and good game film. Fannin doesn't have a lot of college production or film, so you start to wonder why not?

I can only speculate but my speculation would be when a player starts out at the top and works his way down the depth chart that there are work-ethic or off-field issues....again, that is TOTAL SPECULATION on my part and is unsubstantiated.

If we are talking 4th round RB's I think another guy to consider is Taiwan Jones he has a pro-day coming up in 2 weeks in California and in training has been doing low 1.4 sec splits for his 10 yard split for the 40 I think he'll p*ss in the 4.3's and if he runs well 4.2 isn't out of the question.I think this guy has the speed and explosiveness the Falcons are looking for.

Fannin, IMO wouldn't be a bad pickup in the 5th/6th round. This year is loaded with guys like him though. I don't think Fannin is a bad runner, I just don't think he has good vision. He can make people miss, he can run away from people, and he can run inside, however, if the hole doesn't open for him where he expects it, he's not going to be able to find it and break a big run. That's my knock on Fannin.

JMO, I'm still high on Da'Rel Scott and would love to see us grab him. Going into the end of the 2009 college season I had thought Scott was going to declare for the draft and I had hoped we could pick him up in the mid/late rounds. Scott got the short end of the stick at Maryland. He went out with an injury as a junior and the 2 guys filling in did a great job. When he came back Maryland went to a crazy 3-back rotation and Scott's numbers dropped considerably. As for the injury, it wasn't your typical RB injury, he suffered a broken left forearm, so no real chance of that affecting his ability in the future of playing RB. Scott is also a rare 5th year senior that could have left early twice (and if he had left after the 08 season, he probably would have been a 2nd round pick).

Sometimes ... I always look at Terrell Davis as the example. He couldn't put 4 games together at UGA without injury. That's how you get his talent in the 6th round instead of the 2nd.

I consider that a great comparable. I don't think Fannin was used enough and is highly underrated. I think he has great ability and could be a steal in this draft even in the 4th rd. He is very athletic. The one thing that has helped me through all the years I have been studying the players in the draft is this one thing that is proof. The tape, the year Chris Johnson was drafted , I had him in our mock with a trade up in the bottom of the 1st BC I knew someone would trade up for Him even thou NOBODY had him ranked in the 1st. But I knew by watching his tape , the guy was special. And most people on here said, we don't need a RB , why do you have one in your mock? BEcause I knew all teams need a player like him. A game changer, that is what we are needing. If we can find an exsplosive 3rd RB and a 2nd WR who can stretch the field. Keep our OL together, Pick up one DE either in this draft or FAcy. then we should be on our way to the next step.

Yes, we need a guy that is also a threat to run the ball. Fannin has very good hands, but he is no running threat, there are better options to be had.

Well, I happen to disagree that he cannot run the ball. That site like most, thinks they have to say something neagative. just because they used him as a RB to throw the ball to mostly dose not mean he can't run the ball. When you have a lot of talent on the team and a running QB , it dose not leave much room for the 3rd RB to run with it. They used him because of his GREAT hands. I think this is a huge plus for Fannin and is why I would love to have him here as a 3rd back with the explosion of speed he has, 4.37 at 231 lbs. That my friend is hard to find.

I consider that a great comparable. I don't think Fannin was used enough and is highly underrated. I think he has great ability and could be a steal in this draft even in the 4th rd. He is very athletic. The one thing that has helped me through all the years I have been studying the players in the draft is this one thing that is proof. The tape, the year Chris Johnson was drafted , I had him in our mock with a trade up in the bottom of the 1st BC I knew someone would trade up for Him even thou NOBODY had him ranked in the 1st. But I knew by watching his tape , the guy was special. And most people on here said, we don't need a RB , why do you have one in your mock? BEcause I knew all teams need a player like him. A game changer, that is what we are needing. If we can find an exsplosive 3rd RB and a 2nd WR who can stretch the field. Keep our OL together, Pick up one DE either in this draft or FAcy. then we should be on our way to the next step.

Like I say I'm not disagreeing on Fannin I've been looking at him as well. I just threw another couple of options up there that I have been keeping an eye on.

He had fumble problems at AU which I suppose could be a coachable correction....ie Tiki Barber.

He had injury problems which is a risk...but we have drafted injury prone players prior....ie Willie Mo.

Actually lost playing time for both those reasons....so much so that he didn't do much his senior year.

That being said, 4th rd is a little high for me. Although he has great measurables, his play didn't show it. TD has stated we are looking for explosive players....they were a few explosive players in AU during Fannin's time there but I wouldn't say he was one of them.If he was available in a later rd I may take a chance on him but not the 4th.

Edited by gritzblitz