Edmund Gates

After doing my homework on all of the WRs not named AJ Green and Julio Jones, I am starting to think none of the fringe 1st round guys (Hank, Baldwin, Smith) are what we need or that the value just isn't there. Thus, we really need to focus on DE, SLB (if Nicholas walks), or OT with our first round pick and look in the 2nd/3rd round to take the WR we really covet. Yes, the 2nd/3rd round may be considered a "reach" for some of the guys with middle round grades -- but to make sure you get the guy you want if you like him enough, nothing is a reach (ex. Jaguars taking Alualu, Titans taking Chris Johnson).

After thoroughly looking into the players outside of that 1st round fringe group and putting an emphasis on speed and explosiveness -- judged by 40 speed, quickness measurables, and whatever I can find to watch -- my guy is Edmund Gates.

Gates doesn't just have elite speed and quickness, he was a stud WR at Abilene Christian and can blow the top off of a defense. For comparison's sake:

Devin Hester ran a 4.20 short shuttle and a 6.78 3 cone drill at his pro day.

Johnny Knox (ACU alum) ran a 4.15 short shuttle and a 6.81 3 cone drill.

Mike Wallace ran a 4.27 short shuttle and a 6.90 3 cone drill.

Edmund Gates ran a 4.13 short shuttle and a 6.82 3 cone drill.

Gates' 40 at the combine was a 4.37 and he opted not to run it again at his Pro Day. A 4.37 is certainly a very fast time (and he ran that with a groin injury), but I wish he would have run it again. The Combine 40 times were very slow this year, and you see players cutting off a full tenth of a second from their 40s at their pro days. I wonder what the hype would be like around this guy right now had he posted a 4.27 at his pro day while also turning in a tremendous workout.

03/24/11 - Edmond Gates might be small-school, but he has the potential to be big-time in the NFL. As if the Abilene Christian wide receiver’s performance at the NFL Scouting Combine last month hadn’t done enough for his draft stock, Gates put on a show once again in front of representatives from 22 teams at the school’s pro day on Monday held outdoors on FieldTurf. Gates (6 feet, 189 pounds) stood on his impressive combine 40-yard dash time of 4.37 seconds — which he did with a groin injury and was tied for tops in Indy among receivers — but re-did the broad jump, posting an 11-foot-2 mark better than his 10-11 jump at the combine, which was second among receivers. Gates also had a 4.13 short shuttle and a 6.82 3-cone drill. During his individual workout, Gates was outstanding, looking more advanced than Bears WR Johnny Knox, another Abilene Christian alum who was named to the Pro Bowl as a rookie in 2009 and has done pretty well for himself overall in the NFL. Gates is every bit as good as Knox, probably better based on what we’ve seen of him. The fact that 22 teams showed up to watch Gates work out tells you how good he is. It’s not like he was just an OK starter at a small school; he was a star. And he has backed it up in workouts. Knox’s success also gives credence to Gates’ ability. Knox was a fifth rounder. I’d say Gates is a third or fourth rounder. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

So a more advanced rookie than Johnny Knox in terms of WR development, same quickness and explosiveness as Johnny Knox (I define speed as 40 and quickness/explosiveness with the short shuttle and 3 cone -- it judges how fast you can get in and out of your breaks), and he's 6 feet tall.

He has great hands, and wasn't just a deep threat like a lot of speedy WR developmental prospects are coming out of college. Last year he had 66 catches, 1,182 yards and 13 TDs. Yes, it came against not the greatest competition, but the same can be said for Johnny Knox, Mike Wallace, and Emmanuel Sanders, but the main thing I was looking for was if he had good hands and he does.

Yes, he is a certainly raw and he needs good coaching -- but he is not a major project. I know he's projected in the 3rd/4th range, but because of where we are picking in the back of the draft we may have to take him with our 2nd round pick and I am warming up to the idea even if it seems like a reach.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d81ea55cd/2011-combine-workout-Edmond-Gates

His current strengths as noted by his NFL Combine Profile on NFL.com: Gates has NFL deep speed coupled with average height. Explodes off the line. Excels at taking the short pass and turning it into a big play. Is explosive and elusive in the open field. Flashes the ability to pluck and snatch and make the tough catch. Willing to go over the middle.

Some knocks on him: Slight character concerns, thin build (but tough), route-running needs work.

The ONLY thing I do not like about him as a prospect is that he will be a 25 year old rookie. I am normally against drafting guys who would be 25 year old rookies (I didn't want Peria because of that and his injury history) but he has no injury concerns and he would give us a more dangerous offense from Day 1. If he could develop the way Mike Wallace has, and he already has an advantage there because he isn't a one dimensional deep threat like Wallace was coming out of Ole Miss, he would be a steal at the end of the 2nd round.

I'd take him in the 3rd. Would be a waste of resources to take him in the 2nd, without at least trading down in the early 3rd and picking up another mid rounder.

You really can't say it would be a waste of resources. There are 31 picks between our 2nd rounder and our 3rd. A team could easily take him before our 3rd round pick, and someone may even snatch him before our 2nd.

Go back to the Chris Johnson draft and people would say, I'd take him in the 3rd, using a 2nd on him would be a waste of a pick. The Titans loved what they saw and had big hopes for Johnson and took him in the 1st. Now would you tell me that they wasted a resource by using their 1st on him just because his draft projection wasn't in the 1st round?

If we really like what we see from Gates and view him as the answer to our offense, expending a 2nd round draft pick on him would not be a waste.

Let's go really extreme right now and say we take him in the 1st -- there would be initial outrage. But then what if our offense becomes a Top 3 offense and we make it deep in the playoffs because Gates has a good season, and also, his addition and deep threat speed opens things up for Roddy with less double teams and opens the middle for Tony G. We have less stacked boxes so Turner and whatever other RBs we have have a great season and take less of a pounding. And finally Matt Ryan takes another step in his development to becoming one of the game's elite.

Point is, if you really like a guy and see him making your team better and more dangerous, there is no such thing as wasting a resource to make sure you get that player.

I like Gates alot.... I wanted him in the 3rd round..... The only thing is dude will be 25 years old before the season.

But yea... i like the guy... He would bring great speed

My only real problem with him is his age too. We'll see if he lasts to the 3rd, draft isn't an exact science. "3rd round guys" like Chris Johnson get taken in the 1st, and "1st round guys" like Everson Griffen get taken in the 4th. "Deep threats who will be lucky to be more than a return guy" turn into elite game changers like Mike Wallace while "the greatest RB prospects of all time" turn into little more than return guys like Reggie Bush.

I'm beginning to think Jerrel Jernigan might be the guy we take. Guy brought out the big three at his Pro-day; MM, Smitty, and TD were there. That's some serious interest right there. ;)

I like Jernigan, he's a guy I like in the 2nd as well. I just think Gates' potential is greater. But I wouldn't be upset with them drafting Jernigan if they think he can do what I said I think Gates can do for the offense. Jernigan just won't offer much in terms of blocking or jump ball ability -- Gates brings the same speed, plus 6' height and toughness.

Yep this guy to me is my favourite WR in the draft the only knock on him is like JBO says he's 25 but I think with age comes maturity.He is the vertical threat we are loking for deep speed and as the OP says with stats his drill times are compareable with good WR's already in the league.I think he just needs some coaching and this guy could be the missing piece at WR we have been looking for.

I don't think Gates is a reach at #59 he is projected as a 3rd rounder but after his pro-day who and how well he went his stock could well be on the rise so end of the 2nd round isn't a reach if you think this is a guy that can remedy our lack of a deep threat.

Edited by kiwifalcon

I like Gates allot but we need precise route running. I'd love to pick him up but only if he slips some, which I think he will. I'd take a not so flashy guy like Tandon Doss before gates thought.

Well that's the whole problem with your argument. By flashy I'm sure you mean speedy/explosive --- and that's exactly what TD, Coach Smith, and Mr. Blank are stressing.

We need to add speed and explosiveness to our offense and defense. Our primary offensive need is a deep threat/explosive/"flashy" WR.

We don't need Tandon Doss -- sure he'd be a fine addition, just like most of the WR prospects slated for the Top 4 rounds. But what we really need is an Edmund Gates-type "I will beat you down the field for the 60 yard TD" kind of WR.

Well that's the whole problem with your argument. By flashy I'm sure you mean speedy/explosive --- and that's exactly what TD, Coach Smith, and Mr. Blank are stressing.

We need to add speed and explosiveness to our offense and defense. Our primary offensive need is a deep threat/explosive/"flashy" WR.

We don't need Tandon Doss -- sure he'd be a fine addition, just like most of the WR prospects slated for the Top 4 rounds. But what we really need is an Edmund Gates-type "I will beat you down the field for the 60 yard TD" kind of WR.

Trust me, I feel ya. If I could say one person would change the team and blow the offense open I'd be all for it. but, everyone is looking for TD to pickup a freak when in all honesty, we only needed HD to be reliable this year to open the Offense up. I want another reliable receiver that can get open, I don't need a superstar but, yes it would be nice.

The problem with HD, isn't that hes a bad player, it's that Ryan doesn't trust him.

HD could have a good year, but if he starts dropping passes early in the season again, like he did last year, then Ryan is going to lose his trust in him incredibly fast. They had absolutley no chemistry all year, and it showed.

We could really use somone to either light a fire under HD's butt, or take his or MJ's job.

Enter Flashy / Speedy Reciever.

We need a DE first and foremost, IMO, but we need somone who can consistenly make teams pay for doubleing Roddy and Gonzo.

Edited by IceFalcon

I like Gates allot but we need precise route running. I'd love to pick him up but only if he slips some, which I think he will. I'd take a not so flashy guy like Tandon Doss before gates thought.

Well this is it though I think if we gave a TC with coach Robieske I think you'll see alot of improvement in Gates route running as for intangibles with regards to speed and being explosive well there will be very few WR's in this draft 2nd round down that will measure Gates with regards to things you have mentioned.

I haven't seen enough of Gates to know his two step burst/quickness (he compares favorably to some quick NFL guys, but performs worse than Meier and Douglas on the 3 cone, who both came in around 6.6), but if he has elite quickness to go along with his elite speed...and will go up for the ball, I'd be for him in the 2nd/3rd. At his size, he has a chance to become an actual 1 or 2.

I really think we need a 6'5 guy who can go get the ball, but there aren't a lot of those in this draft. If you get Gates in the 2nd or 3rd, and take Hazelton in the 6th, you can hope you strike gold with one of them. Then we can be on the lookout for the 6'5 guy, as Jenkins contract will be expiring anyway (and he doesn't play big).

edmund gates's age is crucial. what about ricardo lockette? he ran a 4.37 also, a little more raw compared to gates but also has good size at 6 foot 2 inches and 211 lbs.

For sure Lockette has been looked at as a late round pick for the Falcons as has Hazelton but I saw somewhere he ran a poor 40 at his pro-day a 4.62.Gates also ran 4.37 with a groin injury throw in the 40' vertical jump he'll have no problems going up getting a pass.