Kiper Thinks We Are in the Running for Notre Dame TE Kyle Rudolph

Kiper's take on Kyle Rudolph

Tony Krausz | The Journal Gazette

The numbers game works for and against Notre Dame tight end Kyle Rudolph, according to ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr.

On the plus side for the 6-foot-6, 265-pound Cincinnati native is the lack of quality tight ends in the upcoming draft.

"You look at the senior class, this is not a great group," Kiper said during a teleconference Wednesday. "I think that's why he is going to benefit. Even Mike McNeill from Nebraska, people are looking at him more as an H-back/fullback type. There is no highly rated senior tight end. There's no senior tight end that I thought deserved to go in the first two rounds. You are talking about all third-, fourth-, fifth-round guys.

"Consequently, Rudolph is the only entity, and I've compared him a lot to Todd Heap, I think he can have an impact like Todd Heap did coming out of Arizona State to the Baltimore Ravens with his size, pass-receiving skills, the ability that he has. I think second round would be a nice area for him to come off the board."

On the negative side, there are not a lot of teams in the market for a tight end.

"Tight end in the top four needs that I give for each team, right now, there are only two teams that have tight end as one of their top four needs," Kiper said. "That would be Buffalo and Atlanta. Nobody else … at least in the research and information I have, and looking at all of these teams and studying these teams, which I've been doing over that last month looking at the NFL for this need-based area, I don't see anybody but two prioritizing tight end as something that we have to address early in the draft."

Full article here: http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20110126/BLOGS02/110129603

Would love to trade back from 27 into the early part of the second and hope the bills pass on him so we could grab him than take a wr like young,cobb or jernigan with our other second. We need a DE so we would prob trade back and grab someone like Bailey or Acho instead of Rudolph. To me rudolph would be the better value and have more of a impact rite away tho.

Who knows like Kiper said us and the bills are the only 2 teams that really need a TE so mayb he makes it to our late round 2nd. Only problem there is that if we take him we will miss out on one of the WRs.

I gather from what I read that Kiper sees Rudolph as a round 2 prospect, which is about right given the lack of demand at TE this year and his injury problems last season. There's no question in my mind that the Falcons will pick a TE at some point in this draft - if Rudolph is there at #59, he's probably a lock, unless another high-quality need player is still there as well. Even so, Rudolph might be a lock at that spot. But he's the only TE the Falcons would consider in the second.

Would love to trade back from 27 into the early part of the second and hope the bills pass on him so we could grab him than take a wr like young,cobb or jernigan with our other second. We need a DE so we would prob trade back and grab someone like Bailey or Acho instead of Rudolph. To me rudolph would be the better value and have more of a impact rite away tho.

Who knows like Kiper said us and the bills are the only 2 teams that really need a TE so mayb he makes it to our late round 2nd. Only problem there is that if we take him we will miss out on one of the WRs.

A quality, field-stretching TE is Matt Ryan's best offensive weapon (with the possible exception of a dangerous third-down RB - more on that in a moment), much more so than any WR. I don't think the Falcons FO has any WRs targeted the way this board thinks they do.

Regarding that third-down RB, I'm much more a fan of a back that can play all three downs than a change-of-pace guy. I think having RBs pigeon-holed that way really limits the playbook based on down-and-distance situations. But the Falcons seem committed to doing things that way, and I think they'll make a run at Sproles to fill the need, assuming there's an FA period before the draft. If there isn't, all bets are off.

There will be teams who will not let Rudolph slip too far, whether they need TE or not.

While I agree, some of the teams that are notorious for taking best player available, like the Ravens, loaded up with two mid round TE's last year, and still have their starter. Pats took two TE's, Bengals took one in the first, Lions have a bunch. I'm actually more concerned that the Bucs or the Saints would take one before we had a shot. Panthers could sure use one, but don't have a 2nd round pick.

A quality, field-stretching TE is Matt Ryan's best offensive weapon (with the possible exception of a dangerous third-down RB - more on that in a moment), much more so than any WR. I don't think the Falcons FO has any WRs targeted the way this board thinks they do.

Regarding that third-down RB, I'm much more a fan of a back that can play all three downs than a change-of-pace guy. I think having RBs pigeon-holed that way really limits the playbook based on down-and-distance situations. But the Falcons seem committed to doing things that way, and I think they'll make a run at Sproles to fill the need, assuming there's an FA period before the draft. If there isn't, all bets are off.

Read through this thread and notice all the WRs the falcons have been scouting and than you will know the the falcons have alot of WRs targeted on their board.

Read through this thread and notice all the WRs the falcons have been scouting and than you will know the the falcons have alot of WRs targeted on their board.

Some call it due diligence. Some call it smoke and mirrors.

No WR for the Falcons before round 3, and probably not then either.

I would almost guarantee a WR in the first 3 rounds. This is the last year on Harry's contract, we dropped Finn, and have only Weems.

Of course, my dream draft is Justin Houston, Randall Cobb, then DJ Williams.

Its clear u havent been listening to anything TD and mike smith have been saying all offseason or following anything to do with the team and the draft. There will def b a Wr taken in the first 3 rounds most likely the second

We're not taking Rudolph, the only spots we can get him at are First Round, and he's not worth the first round money, and the second round, and we seem to be going heavy after Allen Bailey who's a 2nd rounder.

Which is a huge mistake to even risk it, were risking it with Jerry, looks like were going to risk it with Bailey. The DE streak continues!

There's not a lot of top talent or anything, but the Pats grabbed Aaron Hernandez in the 4th last year.

What's not been mentioned is using a mid round pick to try and pry a 2nd string TE out of another team, rather than using said pick on a below average prospect. I've always liked Martellus Bennett in Dallas and the Cowboys have another talented young TE in John Phillips to understudy/groom for Jason Witten.

It is possible that we are scouting the best deep threat WR's, in this draft, in order to compare them to possible free agents. I can see our coaches looking at Jernigan and wondering whether he is better than Sims-Walker.

The cry for a deep threat WR and a more big-play offense has been heard. The only thing that has to be resolved is whether that threat should come through the draft or free agency.

I would put my money on a veteran like Sims-Walker rather than a rookie draft hopeful. I know about S-Walker's injury history, but I figure the injury risk is less than the risk of playing a rookie WR....just my opinion.

Edited by etherdome

There's not a lot of top talent or anything, but the Pats grabbed Aaron Hernandez in the 4th last year.

I say you take him at 27 if you want him. There is 1 TE above all the rest in this class and that is Rudolph. Last year I thought there were 10 quality starting TE's in the draft. With those kind of numbers, I would expect guys to go later than the type of talent they possessed.

SI ranked and said "50) Kyle Rudolph/TE/Notre Dame: Rudolph sits atop a very weak class of tight ends. He's a terrific blocker and solid pass catcher but not a consistent downfield playmaker." Ask yourself, is the lack of downfield playmaking more because of how he was used? It very well could be. I think if Rudolph gets to run a 40 prior to the draft his stock will rise if he does well. May not be a burner, but can't be slower than Brandon Pettigrew.

Prior to the injury I was thinking he would be rated too high for us given the type of season we were having. I think the opportunity is there and really, do you gamble not getting the guy you want b/c you don't want to take him at 27. Who is really going to want to move into the bottom of the first round. Everybody always wants to trade back but they don't consider who is anybody going to move up for. Fact, when picking in the bottom of round 1, you most likely will always be looking at guys that are rated more as a round 2 pick with potential to be a late round 1, not bonafied 1st round picks.

Compare him to Gronkowski last draft. Where did he fall to before NE took him?

Similar player, similar injury /draft scenario.

IF Atlanta took him, I could only hope he makes an impact like Gronk did as well.

I like Kendricks and Stocker for a TE in rounds 3-4.