Everybody has it wrong

pzummo

A CB. Everybody wants a WR, DE, OL, yadda yadda. The way I see it, our biggest hole last season was at NB. We got absolutely killed in 3 WR sets. Brian Williams is gone and nobody else looks ready to fill in. Grimes will be a RFA. We are going to take a CB that can play in Nickel packages until he's ready to start in 2012. I could see us going OL, but I have a feeling the coaches think we have guys ready to step up to replace Dahl and Clabo. The fact that we didn't tender either of them tells me the coaches have faith in who we have. I could see us going DE next. And we'll see our first offensive pick with our 3rd. DE is such a big gamble at our first pick, I see our coaches grabbing a player they are sure can contribute.

I also see that first offensive player being an OL. I don't see us using an early pick on a WR. Unlike a lot of other people, I think the coaching staff likes who we have. Douglas is a full season past his injury. Meier is coming back as a possession target. Weems is a good 5th WR that is a heck of a player on ST. This could be a place we pick up a RB because they have good value in the third. But I think this is where we fill in some of our OL depth. There is great value for OG's at this draft position.

CB, DE, OG, OT, RB, DT, LB are the order I see.

A player like Julius Peppers on the other side of Abraham would make our DB's look a whole lot better!

Nope, I think the single most pressing need is a DE and this is what we take unless the ones they want are gone and their is either a LB or DB that is a better player than any other DE's left.

Falcons preference in order TODAY:

1. DE
  2. CB
  3. LB
  4. WR
  5. RB
  6. OL

Of course this could shift depending on the CAB negotiation (free agents--ours and others) and what's there at #27. If a significantly better LB or DB is there at #27 than a DE then I can accept this too. A great pass rush LB like a Matthews or LT type would fine for me if we can't get it from a DE.

We need to put the QB's butt on the ground...period! This is how a few years back the New York Giants beat perhaps the single best offensive team in NFL history, the undefeated New England Patriots, in the Super Bowl...they beat Brady to a pulp!

A player like Julius Peppers on the other side of Abraham would make our DB's look a whole lot better!

Nope, I think the single most pressing need is a DE and this is what we take unless the ones they want are gone and their is either a LB or DB that is a better player than any other DE's left.

1. DE
  2. CB
  3. LB
  4. WR
  5. RB
  6. OL

Of course this could shift depending on the CAB negotiation (free agents--ours and others) and what's there at #27. If a significantly better LB or DB is there at #27 than a DE then I can accept this too. A great pass rush LB like a Matthews or LT type would fine for me if we can't get it from a DE.

We need to put the QB's butt on the ground...period! This is how a few years back the New York Giants beat perhaps the single best offensive team in NFL history, the undefeated New England Patriots, in the Super Bowl...they beat Brady to a pulp!

You would put CB as a need before WR? We have two quality starters, and a young Franks that the organization expects big things from. As for WR, we have Roddy, a decent possession WR in Jenkins, HD who could turn into what we all hoped he would be coming out of college but has yet to be determined if he will or not, Meier who has yet to play a down in the NFL, and a bunch of practice sqaud guys. I agree DE is our biggest need but I would go WR after, then LBer, then CB.

A CB. Everybody wants a WR, DE, OL, yadda yadda. The way I see it, our biggest hole last season was at NB. We got absolutely killed in 3 WR sets. Brian Williams is gone and nobody else looks ready to fill in. Grimes will be a RFA. We are going to take a CB that can play in Nickel packages until he's ready to start in 2012. I could see us going OL, but I have a feeling the coaches think we have guys ready to step up to replace Dahl and Clabo. The fact that we didn't tender either of them tells me the coaches have faith in who we have. I could see us going DE next. And we'll see our first offensive pick with our 3rd. DE is such a big gamble at our first pick, I see our coaches grabbing a player they are sure can contribute.

I also see that first offensive player being an OL. I don't see us using an early pick on a WR. Unlike a lot of other people, I think the coaching staff likes who we have. Douglas is a full season past his injury. Meier is coming back as a possession target. Weems is a good 5th WR that is a heck of a player on ST. This could be a place we pick up a RB because they have good value in the third. But I think this is where we fill in some of our OL depth. There is great value for OG's at this draft position.

Since the new crew came in, we've only picked ONE offensive skill player (WR, RB, TE) in the first 4 rounds. That's in 3 drafts. Douglas is the only offensive skill guy we've taken before pick 160 (late 5th) in 3 yrs.

What that means is, even if we need help on D (which we do), our D is young, and our offensive skill positions need a young talent infusion. If they wait until the 4th or 5th round again to get an offensive skill player, that will be 4 yrs without one, and that's a bad recipe. You can't be that unbalanced in your drafting. Even though the Ravens and Pitt have great D's, they keep drafting D to keep it good. We have to draft some O to make us more explosive, and to have some youngins in there set to improve.

1. DE
  2. CB
  3. LB
  4. WR
  5. RB
  6. OL

Really OL is our 6th biggest need with Clabo likely goneski Blalock and Dahl potiential FA's 3 starters and you think O-line is our 6th biggest need.Ummmmm no if we lose those 3 I think we'll be adding O-line with 1 of those 1st 2 picks.

You would put CB as a need before WR? We have two quality starters, and a young Franks that the organization expects big things from. As for WR, we have Roddy, a decent possession WR in Jenkins, HD who could turn into what we all hoped he would be coming out of college but has yet to be determined if he will or not, Meier who has yet to play a down in the NFL, and a bunch of practice sqaud guys. I agree DE is our biggest need but I would go WR after, then LBer, then CB.

At least we agree on the #1 need! smile.gif

We need to upgrade in several areas like the ones you mentioned. However, Franks didn't beat out the underwhelming Owens and I just can't get out of my head just how weak we looked at both tacking Rodgers and the ease of which he completed passes.

Would I pop a vessel if the Falcon's take a WR second? No. However, for me, there is nothing I want more than to pair our offense with an elite defense like both Green Bay and Pittsburgh enjoy. The same Green Bay team that slaughtered us in the playoffs the very next week pulled out a 21-14 victory against the Bears due in no small part to a DT interception and in large part because their defense bailed out the offense. You put the offense we have TODAY on the field with either the Green Bay, or Pittsburgh defense and we win the Super Bowl.

Remember, I am basing this on the apparent lack of Free Agency prior to the draft. If we could sign a Charles Johnson today, I may think differently. If we cannot then, for me, I am devoting the 1st, 2nd and maybe even the 3rd draft choice to defense....we MUST get better on defense!

With D-Rob's contract and Grimes due for a raise, I don't see us paying first round money for an unproven rookie to play NB

Yeah dont think so dude. We have a young and promising Franks that should see more time this year. Plus the staff isnt ready to give up on Owens yet. We might draft a CB but not in the first.

I liked both Franks and Owens when we drafted them. I still have hope for both but let's be real. Owens was obviously not ready and Franks wasn't beating him for playing time. Brian Williams is gone. I don't see us paying Grimes what he can get next season. It's tough to hit on a DE in the top 15, nevermind at 27. I don't think Biermann is losing his starting role. You can get a good CB at 27 that will contribute right out of the gate, especially in a NB role.

I think DE is a need but not as much as CB.

Really OL is our 6th biggest need with Clabo likely goneski Blalock and Dahl potential FA's 3 starters and you think O-line is our 6th biggest need.Ummmmm no if we lose those 3 I think we'll be adding O-line with 1 of those 1st 2 picks.

You apparently missed this part of my message...

"Of course this could shift depending on the CAB negotiation (free agents--ours and others)..."

I am well aware of Dahl and Clabo as pending FA's and McClure's advancing age. But what if we signed one, both or resigned neither? This could affect my ranking but only numbers 3-6 for me as I would STILL devote the first 2-3 selections to defense. Further, there is not a Jamaal Brown, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jake Long or Joe Thomas in this year's draftwink.gif

Edited by Quarterback

With D-Rob's contract and Grimes due for a raise, I don't see us paying first round money for an unproven rookie to play NB

We have the 27th pick. Not a top 10 pick. New England took CB Devin McCourty at 27 last year. His contract was 5 years at $13.2 million with $7.8 guaranteed. Taking a CB at 27 makes all the sense in the world because we would have to pay Grimes 3-4 times more.

Didn't we pay Brian Williams more than that to play NB?

Regardless, I can't see us going with a WR at 27. If we don't take a CB with our first pick, I'll be very surprised. If we don't take a CB with one of our first two picks, I'll be scared.

We have the 27th pick. Not a top 10 pick. New England took CB Devin McCourty at 27 last year. His contract was 5 years at $13.2 million with $7.8 guaranteed. Taking a CB at 27 makes all the sense in the world because we would have to pay Grimes 3-4 times more.

Didn't we pay Brian Williams more than that to play NB?

Regardless, I can't see us going with a WR at 27. If we don't take a CB with our first pick, I'll be very surprised. If we don't take a CB with one of our first two picks, I'll be scared.

We could have Aso and Revis as our CBs, but if the DLine isnt getting pressure they would still get torched.

We could have Aso and Revis as our CBs, but if the DLine isnt getting pressure they would still get torched.

I'm not disgreeing with us needing more pressure. I'm just saying we have no NB with Williams departure and Grimes probably only being around one more year.

Honestly, I debate a lot about DE. One side of me wants a stud DE. The other side says that DE's are so hit or miss early in the draft, taking one at 27 might not help us. Here's my line of thinking. Bierman had his moments and it was his first year starting. Peters was decent, but we didn't get a lot of pressure in the middle of the pocket. When our DE's did get pressure, a lot of times the QB was able to move up in the pocket to avoid it. The coaches seem to think Jerry is going to make an impact now that he's fully recovering from his injury. If we take a DE at 27, he may or may not be able to contribute. I sincerely doubt he would start. I think the coaches are going to stick with Bierman and Abraham as the starters on the DL, with Jerry stepping up these guys will be able to get more sacks.

If all goes right, Bierman takes the next step in his third year, Jerry makes an impact in his 3rd year, and filling the hole we have at NB would put our defense in pretty good shape. We still need a DE to groom for when Abe hangs it up, which is why I am thinking our 2nd pick. The thing to remember is that there are only 2 DE's on the field at any given time. 3 CB's are on the field pretty often and I don't see anybody for that 3rd spot that gives me any confidence. Abe is a stud and Bierman was ok his first year starting, our 3rd CB was absolutely horrid.

You apparently missed this part of my message...

"Of course this could shift depending on the CAB negotiation (free agents--ours and others)..."

I am well aware of Dahl and Clabo as pending FA's and McClure's advancing age. But what if we signed one, both or resigned neither? This could affect my ranking but only numbers 3-6 for me as I would STILL devote the first 2-3 selections to defense. Further, there is not a Jamaal Brown, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jake Long or Joe Thomas in this year's draftwink.gif

My Bad I did miss that.

Since the new crew came in, we've only picked ONE offensive skill player (WR, RB, TE) in the first 4 rounds. That's in 3 drafts. Douglas is the only offensive skill guy we've taken before pick 160 (late 5th) in 3 yrs.

What that means is, even if we need help on D (which we do), our D is young, and our offensive skill positions need a young talent infusion. If they wait until the 4th or 5th round again to get an offensive skill player, that will be 4 yrs without one, and that's a bad recipe. You can't be that unbalanced in your drafting. Even though the Ravens and Pitt have great D's, they keep drafting D to keep it good. We have to draft some O to make us more explosive, and to have some youngins in there set to improve.

Amen! Finally someone that has noticed that we have not invested in the skill positions. I also believe that this was intentional--which also supports what you posited. We have a young D. Let them mature. Including the young DEs.

I don't doubt that we will draft for depth and explosion on the D side. BUt i do not see a lop-sided defensive draft in this one.

I think when TD made the move to get Dunta Robinson he pretty much made the decision right then that he's not going to use his first pick to draft and then develop a CB last year or anytime soon. I think they'll draft a CB but I don't think it's going to be with their first pick.

With 4 pro bowl players on offense last season I just don't see them addressing the offense with the first pick, I could be wrong and stranger things have happened. I can't wait for the draft to get here, at least there will be something happening with the NFL.

That's what I'm thinking also. Honestly, I think the offense done such a great job last year with time of possession that the defenses weaknesses weren't so apparent until the playoffs because they weren't on the field that much.

A productive DE would change everyvody's opinion of our cb's real quick.

I agree, that's the weak link. I've read a few post on here where people have said that they felt the pressure was there for the D-line but they felt they just couldn't finish the job when they got to the QB. They might be right, but it only goes to show there is a need for more speed to finish the job if they are. JMO......

I agree, that's the weak link. I've read a few post on here where people have said that they felt the pressure was there for the D-line but they felt they just couldn't finish the job when they got to the QB. They might be right, but it only goes to show there is a need for more speed to finish the job if they are. JMO......

Do you think that's because of the DE's or the Tackles?

Here's the thing. I dont like our depth at DE or UT. Behind Babs, Abe, and Bierman, nobody generated much pressure. But in terms of getting pressure on passing downs and generating sacks, I think that was more due to the NT position not pushing the pocket. Every time our DE's came around the edges, QB's could take two steps forward in the pocket to avoid the rush. Speed at the edges doesn't help very much if the QB has room to move up in the pocket. I do think Peters was pretty good for a 3rd rd pick in his first season, and I do think him and Jerry could be much better this season. So we might improve our passrush through natural player progression.

At 27, I dont think we could get a force at DE that would be an upgrade over our starters. How many rookie DE's get more than 5 sacks their first year? And how many of those are drafted outside of the top 10? I want a stud DE and I think some people are misunderstanding me. A CB at 27 would help immediately at NB and could be a Grimes replacement in 2012 when he walks. A CB would make our defense better immediately because we do have a hole to fill at NB. A DE at 27 would improve our depth at the position, but probably wouldn't be a force or upgrade for another year or two. If Jerry or Peters improve, I don't think we'll see a problem with our DE's missing the sacks like last season.

Do you think that's because of the DE's or the Tackles?

Here's the thing. I dont like our depth at DE or UT. Behind Babs, Abe, and Bierman, nobody generated much pressure. But in terms of getting pressure on passing downs and generating sacks, I think that was more due to the NT position not pushing the pocket. Every time our DE's came around the edges, QB's could take two steps forward in the pocket to avoid the rush. Speed at the edges doesn't help very much if the QB has room to move up in the pocket. I do think Peters was pretty good for a 3rd rd pick in his first season, and I do think him and Jerry could be much better this season. So we might improve our passrush through natural player progression.

At 27, I dont think we could get a force at DE that would be an upgrade over our starters. How many rookie DE's get more than 5 sacks their first year? And how many of those are drafted outside of the top 10? I want a stud DE and I think some people are misunderstanding me. A CB at 27 would help immediately at NB and could be a Grimes replacement in 2012 when he walks. A CB would make our defense better immediately because we do have a hole to fill at NB. A DE at 27 would improve our depth at the position, but probably wouldn't be a force or upgrade for another year or two. If Jerry or Peters improve, I don't think we'll see a problem with our DE's missing the sacks like last season.

Same thing I been saying, we need to address DE in FA, not in the first round ....how soon we forget JA98 ..... :unsure: