D-Line

ATL Doc

I think DeCoud and Moore are a good tandum at safety. I am trying to understand the rational behind a lot of the evaluations of our defense. Any QB, given enough time will find an open reciever. It is impossible to cover 2 recievers a TE, a RB and a FB for more than 4-6 seconds in the NFL. The key is getting QB pressure and stopping the run.

Abraham and Beirmann have the DE position solid and Babaineaux is a good DT but we don't get consistant pressure through the middle. This gives the opposing QB to much time in the pocket. We need to correct this problem.

I think DeCoud and Moore are a good tandum at safety. I am trying to understand the rational behind a lot of the evaluations of our defense. Any QB, given enough time will find an open reciever. It is impossible to cover 2 recievers a TE, a RB and a FB for more than 4-6 seconds in the NFL. The key is getting QB pressure and stopping the run.

Abraham and Beirmann have the DE position solid and Babaineaux is a good DT but we don't get consistant pressure through the middle. This gives the opposing QB to much time in the pocket. We need to correct this problem.

We drafted two DT's recently. I will judge Jerry based upon his first opportunity to play healthy in 2011. Peters did well as a rookie and will be better in his second year. No way do we throw more money at DT in this draft. DE or DE X 2 would be the way to go. One in FA, one in the draft, provided we have FA at all.

The problem is our defense is young. DLinemen normally take a couple of years to bloom. Our DLine has Biermann, Sidbury, Peters, Jerry, and Walker. That is 5 out of 8 that is 3 years or under. You honestly couldn't expect them all to be studs right away and only one was a 1st rounder. Therefore, we are waiting for our DLine to gain experience. As they gain more experience, they get better and our defense gets better.

A first round DE would be good but they wouldn't correct the problem. Right now we need time more than more players. Drafting a DE now would be for the future to replace Abe (even though I still feel Sid is his replacement).

The problem is our defense is young. DLinemen normally take a couple of years to bloom. Our DLine has Biermann, Sidbury, Peters, Jerry, and Walker. That is 5 out of 8 that is 3 years or under. You honestly couldn't expect them all to be studs right away and only one was a 1st rounder. Therefore, we are waiting for our DLine to gain experience. As they gain more experience, they get better and our defense gets better.

A first round DE would be good but they wouldn't correct the problem. Right now we need time more than more players. Drafting a DE now would be for the future to replace Abe (even though I still feel Sid is his replacement).

Actually there are 11 DL on the roster now

K Biermann J Anderson C Davis

J Babineaux V Walker Trey Lewis

C. Peters P Jerry

J Abraham L Sidbury PS Stephens

Edited by delaigle

Actually there are 11 DL on the roster now

K Biermann J Anderson C Davis

J Babineaux V Walker Trey Lewis

C. Peters P Jerry

J Abraham L Sidbury PS Stephens

Ok. That doesn't discount the argument. Actually Stephens doesn't help your argument because Stephens is a PS player. Might as well say we don't need a WR since we have a few on the PS.

That is the problem with this board. You guys look for things wrong with the post as opposed to the actually content in the post.

Ok. That doesn't discount the argument. Actually Stephens doesn't help your argument because Stephens is a PS player. Might as well say we don't need a WR since we have a few on the PS.

That is the problem with this board. You guys look for things wrong with the post as opposed to the actually content in the post.

But it does address your content, 5 of 8 are young says 62.5% are inexperienced

But 6 of 11 or 0k 5 of 10 is down to 50% inexperienced.

That means that the experience level is 12.5% higher than you were saying.

Or it says 1/2 the players are experienced and 1/2 are young and need to gain more experience. It does not imply that MOST of the players are young and inexperienced.

Edited by delaigle

maybe strength. it isnt everything, but sometimes u just need brute strength or a nice bull rush as a change of pace to all the nifty work. it keeps the opponent on their toes and theyre left to play the guessing game more and more. abe does a great job of this, but i think our other linemen are not very diverse in their approach to get by the blockers due to the lack of strength or underdeveloped power moves.

But it does address your content, 5 of 8 are young says 62.5% are inexperienced

But 6 of 11 or 0k 5 of 10 is down to 50% inexperienced.

That means that the experience level is 12.5% higher than you were saying.

Or it says 1/2 the players are experienced and 1/2 are young and need to gain more experience. It does not imply that MOST of the players are young and inexperienced.

Of the players who contribute significantly (Abe, Biermann, Babs, Jerry, JA98, Peters, Walker, Davis), 3 have more than 4 years exp, JA98 is a bust with 4 years exp, and 4 have 3 years or less. Now add in Sidbury, who is in line for major time next season and you have 5 players under 3 years exp. Lewis is a complete non-factor and Stephens is a PS player.

So therefore, 5 players (Biermann, Jerry, Peters, Walker, Sidbury) out of 9 significant contributors (Abe, Babs, Peters, Biermann, Jerry, JA98, Davis, Walker, Sidbury) are 3 years or less in the game. However you want to look at it, more than 50% of your DLine is 3 years or less in. Add in the fact that JA98 is playing in a new role and now you have 6 players who have less than 3 years exp in their current roles.

Of the players who contribute significantly (Abe, Biermann, Babs, Jerry, JA98, Peters, Walker, Davis), 3 have more than 4 years exp, JA98 is a bust with 4 years exp, and 4 have 3 years or less. Now add in Sidbury, who is in line for major time next season and you have 5 players under 3 years exp. Lewis is a complete non-factor and Stephens is a PS player.

So therefore, 5 players (Biermann, Jerry, Peters, Walker, Sidbury) out of 9 significant contributors (Abe, Babs, Peters, Biermann, Jerry, JA98, Davis, Walker, Sidbury) are 3 years or less in the game. However you want to look at it, more than 50% of your DLine is 3 years or less in. Add in the fact that JA98 is playing in a new role and now you have 6 players who have less than 3 years exp in their current roles.

How can you include Sidbury as a contributor and exclude Lewis. Neither contributed during the 10 season.

To include 1 and exclude the other is cherry picking your data points.

ADDED

I went back and checked, I knew Lewis was not active for any games this season but I did not realize that Sidbury was active for 6 games so I will partically conceed to your point.

Edited by delaigle

How can you include Sidbury as a contributor and exclude Lewis. Neither contributed during the 10 season.

To include 1 and exclude the other is cherry picking your data points.

ADDED

I went back and checked, I knew Lewis was not active for any games this season but I did not realize that Sidbury was active for 6 games so I will partically conceed to your point.

The only reason I included him was because he is fully expected to contribute largely next season and couldn't this year due to a numbers game. Lewis on the other hand was just a body on the line just in case Jerry (or another DT) got hurt.

All I am saying is that we have a lot of youth on the defense and it is harder to translate from college to pros on defense than it is on offense. We probably spent more picks in the last 3 years on defense. If you just look at the starting 11, more than half of them are 3 years or under in the defense (Peters/Jerry, Biermann, Spoon, Lofton, Grimes, Moore, DeCoud, DRob). Yes Grimes has been in the league longer and DRob has definitely been in the league longer, but both have only been full time starters in the defense for a combined 3 years. The only thing we can add do the defense right now is a DE and maybe a nickel. I am for letting Owens and Franks fight it out and taking a late round corner.

Either way, we can't write the defense of until they start to click as a unit. You saw it every now and then during the season but give them some time.