Falcons anxious to get Meier in offense

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he can but I just think we need more elite talent at the WR personally. Yes, work hard guys but we need overall talent and speed and did you see the route combinations and routes these guys were running. We do NOTHING of the sort

Dude he is not the answer...lol.. We all know that...It sound like TD is focused on adding a speed guy... He is just a extra weapon if he is used the right way

Dude he is not the answer...lol.. We all know that...It sound like TD is focused on adding a speed guy... He is just a extra weapon if he is used the right way

And I dont think Mularkey can do that. Too many generic formations, too simple route combinations but thats another. Maybe I harped TOO much on him, I just think we need another elite guy to play opposite Roddy. We need a number 2 and I dont think Meier or Douglas can be that

If he can get on the field I love his size and his ability to find open space from a QB perspective. Lets all keep one huge factor in the forefront of our minds... He just began to play reciever after switching later in college. He looks like a natural in that film. Imagine after Terry Robiskie gets a hold of him for awhile... I wonder if Bob Harrison, our top notch scout found Kerry Meier?

And I dont think Mularkey can do that. Too many generic formations, too simple route combinations but thats another. Maybe I harped TOO much on him, I just think we need another elite guy to play opposite Roddy. We need a number 2 and I dont think Meier or Douglas can be that

Coach Smith said Bob Bratkowski would work with Mularkey on the offense.. So we will see what happens... aMularkey knows he has to tweak some things now

Coach Smith said Bob Bratkowski would work with Mularkey on the offense.. So we will see what happens... aMularkey knows he has to tweak some things now

Yeah. We will see. I think Meier could be a good dude for that 3rd down, first down needed catch. I know you have heard about the RUMORS us maybe moving up to get AJ Green. Would you be opposed to that?

OK, he is GETTING back healthy but he is more a possession receiver which is not needed.

Are you kidding? Who did we have to throw to on 3rd downs? Finneran is gone. HD dropped countless balls and is definitely more of a speed guy. Weems is a speed guy. Jenkins is not consistently getting open against #2 CB's. We need a reliable 3rd down target. Our 3rd down passing options were Roddy, Gonzo, or punt.

I agree we need somebody to either draft or step up as a speed WR. If HD can get back to his rookie form, he might be it. It would be great to have 3 speed guys but you have to have a reliable possession guy that can make the tough grab as well.

Honest opinion, but if we draft a speedy WR, I think HD has more to worry about than anyone else on the roster. Weems has become a great KR/PR for us. Meier is filling Finneran's old role, which this team obviously values considering some of the speedier, younger WR's we cut in favor of him. If we do draft a speedy WR, it's because of a lack of confidence in the speed WR's we have.

I could see a possibility of keeping 6 WR's and I don't think HD is in jeopardy of losing a roster spot. All I'm saying is that you need players to fill roles on the team. Each role has to be filled, otherwise your offense is predictable and ineffective. We won't go without a possession reciever to add speed at the position. Bank on that.

we only had a chance to see him in practices and the pre season. he was very professional and always caught the ball. they always made a big deal about him catching so well despite the fact that he does not wear gloves. i am also excited to see this one develop and play in 2011.

the staff describes him as a "big reciever" and consider him a future starter who can do a lot of things according to this publication. that is nice to hear.

Edited by bier-fann

It's stuff like this that make me believe we will draft a DE or a HB with our first round pick.. I still feel we will take a DE and grab Devine in the 2nd or 3rd, wherever he is projected (I don't look into draft stock too much. I like surprises draft day rather than being let down or something). I won't be surprised if we grab a speed receiver in the 5th though after a DE, RB, and some O-Line or Nickel Depth

I will admit something that i never thought of about Meir. I never pictured him as an Hback or TE. But you know in truth, he's not far off sizewise to this new breed of athletic TE. 10 or 15 pounds he's not bad sized at all for TE. I like his potential there better than WR, as he'll have better matchups and be able to utilize his speed more (he'd be a fast TE, but pedestrian WR speed wise). That said, i think Pat Y is overstating our regime's expectations. Meir is a 5th round pick. He's not a top ten talent, that got injured. Will he turn into a stud? Could happen. But the reality is he could never play a down in the NFl and we'll forget his name in a year.

We'll still be drafting a wr or two. And possibly a TE this year.

BTW, anyone recall Mularkey utilizing a HBack this year? i don't

I don't look for him to be anything more than a no.4 WR, but a **** good one at that.

I agree with you, may be a #4 right now. I honestly I'm not going to get excited about a 5th round draft pick until he plays like a 2nd or 3rd rounder. That is part of the Falcons problem now. Every year people seem to think that there is some middle or late round guy that is going to be a star.

I ask myself, what is wrong with the picture? I wish we were talking about Mike Johnson, Sean Weatherspoon, Peria Jerry, Chris Owens, Chevis Jackson and Harry Douglass and being really excited about them. Some of these guys are not here, some lost time to injury and others have not stepped up or earned a shot yet. These are the guys that you need to hit on consistently. If you are not excited about these guys yearly then you will not be in a position to compete and go deep into the playoffs.

Edited by isproab

I will admit something that i never thought of about Meir. I never pictured him as an Hback or TE. But you know in truth, he's not far off sizewise to this new breed of athletic TE. 10 or 15 pounds he's not bad sized at all for TE. I like his potential there better than WR, as he'll have better matchups and be able to utilize his speed more (he'd be a fast TE, but pedestrian WR speed wise). That said, i think Pat Y is overstating our regime's expectations. Meir is a 5th round pick. He's not a top ten talent, that got injured. Will he turn into a stud? Could happen. But the reality is he could never play a down in the NFl and we'll forget his name in a year.

+1

That's what I see as well. KM could have more immediate impact backing up TG this season at TE. I have no faith in MM doing anything significant to open up the passing routes so I see little benefit from KM playing WR in MM system.

Edited by Mid-Nite-Toker

Falcons anxious to get Meier in offense

By Pat Yasinskas

If you know anything about Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff and coach Mike Smith, you know these guys aren’t the types to show a lot of excitement.

They’re calm, methodical and live firmly in a world where public expectations almost always are toned down in a calculated attempt to avoid disappointments. So why was it every time Kerry Meier’s name came up during the NFL owners meeting in New Orleans earlier this week, Dimitroff and Smith sounded -- by their standards -- giddy? They sounded like the clock had been pushed ahead a month and they had just drafted Meier. Or they sounded like they did last year when they really did draft Meier.

Two very mature and understated men couldn’t help themselves from sounding like kids with a new toy when they talked about the guy they drafted in the fifth round (No. 165 overall) last year. Their eyes lit up and their voices carried an extra decibel of excitement when they talked about their hopes for Meier this year.

“He’s a guy who has a really large number of the attributes that translate into success in the NFL,’’ Smith said.

Meier has yet to do a thing in his NFL career, but Smith and Dimitroff expect that to change quickly. They drafted Meier as a wide receiver out of Kansas last year, but they believe they drafted much more than a wide receiver. Meier is one of those guys who can do just about anything on the football field.

He played some quarterback in college. He also made a quick and smooth switch to receiver and put up some huge numbers. He even held for extra points and field goals and served as a backup punter. When the Falcons drafted Meier last year, there was even some talk about him having the ability to play some at H-back or tight end.

All that potential is still there, but the Falcons have yet to have the chance to see it in an NFL game. Drafted only a week after his older brother, Dylan, died in a hiking accident on a family outing, Meier’s rookie season ended before it started. He tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the preseason and spent the season on injured reserve.

The Falcons aren’t getting regular reports on Meier during the lockout because teams aren’t allowed to have contact with players. But the last medical update on Meier is a big part of the reason Smith and Dimitroff are so excited about his prospects for the upcoming season.

“Kerry has done an outstanding job with his rehabilitation,’’ Smith said. “When we had our end-of-year physicals, Kerry was way ahead of schedule.’’

The mere fact Smith is giving injury updates in March is hugely significant. This is a guy, who like most coaches, usually talks about injuries only in the broadest of terms and the fact he’s saying Meier is way ahead of schedule must mean the receiver could step onto the field at whatever moment the lockout ends.

“I don’t want to lay out any timetable right now, but, yes, Kerry is way ahead of schedule,’’ Dimitroff said. “This is an individual who we are so proud to have on our team because his approach to everything is so top-notch. He’s a quality guy. He’s an intelligent guy and he has the skill set that we’re looking for as the next bigger receiver.’’

Yes, the next bigger receiver could be the next big thing in Atlanta’s offense. Let’s make it clear the Falcons aren’t looking at Meier as the speed receiver so many people think they need. That’s not his game.

He’s 6-foot-2 and 224 pounds and never has been known for his downfield speed. The Falcons can fill that role with Harry Douglas, if the receiver continues to progress from the knee injury that kept him out for the 2009 season or they can go out and draft a speed guy.

Meier’s role isn’t nearly as one-dimensional. The Falcons view him as the jack-of-all-trades receiver veteran Brian Finneran has been. Finneran’s a potential free agent and isn’t likely to be offered a contract to return. That’s because the Falcons believe Meier can do all the things Finneran did and more.

In the short term, the Falcons want to use Meier in a receiver group in which Roddy White is the total package, Michael Jenkins is a complementary player who excels as a possession receiver and blocker and Douglas, Eric Weems and whoever might come in the draft, will compete for the slot-receiver spot.

The plan is to let Meier play a variety of roles to maximize his versatility. Smith isn’t about to give away the playbook, but it’s not hard to imagine Meier getting some time at receiver on running downs or lining up at H-back or tight end. He’s also likely to be a regular on special teams. Heck, it’s not anywhere near a stretch to picture Meier taking on another of Finneran’s former roles -- lining up on defense at safety and using his height to knock down Hail Mary passes or his strength to make an open field tackle in a pinch.

“Kerry and his family went through such a difficult time last summer and then he got hurt,’’ Smith said. “In that kind of situation, a lot of guys would have gone into a shell and just disappeared. Kerry never did. He just threw himself into his rehabilitation and he’s been absolutely hammering it.’’

The long-term plans for Meier could be even more significant. The Falcons believe he can be much more than just a Finneran clone. They view him as a guy who, over time, could develop into a starter because he can do many of the same things Jenkins can do.

But that’s down the road. For now, the Falcons just want to get Meier back on the field and into their offense.

“We got a look at his skill set in training camp and in the preseason games he played in last year,’’ Dimitroff said. “This is a guy we think can really help us in a lot of ways. We want him back. We want him back because we think he can be a very integral part of our offense.’’

i can't wait to see wat he can do

Last year before Meir got injured, the front office and coaching buzz on him was huge- talk like steal in the 5th round.

That being said, Smith and Dimitroff may be sending draft smoke screens on whether they will draft a WR high or not. IMO, I see us upgrading the OL (along with Defense) to make Meir, Douglas and Jenkins more effective by giving them more route time and progression reads.