Falcons anxious to get Meier in offense

Falcons anxious to get Meier in offense

By Pat Yasinskas

If you know anything about Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff and coach Mike Smith, you know these guys aren’t the types to show a lot of excitement.

They’re calm, methodical and live firmly in a world where public expectations almost always are toned down in a calculated attempt to avoid disappointments. So why was it every time Kerry Meier’s name came up during the NFL owners meeting in New Orleans earlier this week, Dimitroff and Smith sounded -- by their standards -- giddy? They sounded like the clock had been pushed ahead a month and they had just drafted Meier. Or they sounded like they did last year when they really did draft Meier.

Two very mature and understated men couldn’t help themselves from sounding like kids with a new toy when they talked about the guy they drafted in the fifth round (No. 165 overall) last year. Their eyes lit up and their voices carried an extra decibel of excitement when they talked about their hopes for Meier this year.

“He’s a guy who has a really large number of the attributes that translate into success in the NFL,’’ Smith said.

Meier has yet to do a thing in his NFL career, but Smith and Dimitroff expect that to change quickly. They drafted Meier as a wide receiver out of Kansas last year, but they believe they drafted much more than a wide receiver. Meier is one of those guys who can do just about anything on the football field.

He played some quarterback in college. He also made a quick and smooth switch to receiver and put up some huge numbers. He even held for extra points and field goals and served as a backup punter. When the Falcons drafted Meier last year, there was even some talk about him having the ability to play some at H-back or tight end.

All that potential is still there, but the Falcons have yet to have the chance to see it in an NFL game. Drafted only a week after his older brother, Dylan, died in a hiking accident on a family outing, Meier’s rookie season ended before it started. He tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the preseason and spent the season on injured reserve.

The Falcons aren’t getting regular reports on Meier during the lockout because teams aren’t allowed to have contact with players. But the last medical update on Meier is a big part of the reason Smith and Dimitroff are so excited about his prospects for the upcoming season.

“Kerry has done an outstanding job with his rehabilitation,’’ Smith said. “When we had our end-of-year physicals, Kerry was way ahead of schedule.’’

The mere fact Smith is giving injury updates in March is hugely significant. This is a guy, who like most coaches, usually talks about injuries only in the broadest of terms and the fact he’s saying Meier is way ahead of schedule must mean the receiver could step onto the field at whatever moment the lockout ends.

“I don’t want to lay out any timetable right now, but, yes, Kerry is way ahead of schedule,’’ Dimitroff said. “This is an individual who we are so proud to have on our team because his approach to everything is so top-notch. He’s a quality guy. He’s an intelligent guy and he has the skill set that we’re looking for as the next bigger receiver.’’

Yes, the next bigger receiver could be the next big thing in Atlanta’s offense. Let’s make it clear the Falcons aren’t looking at Meier as the speed receiver so many people think they need. That’s not his game.

He’s 6-foot-2 and 224 pounds and never has been known for his downfield speed. The Falcons can fill that role with Harry Douglas, if the receiver continues to progress from the knee injury that kept him out for the 2009 season or they can go out and draft a speed guy.

Meier’s role isn’t nearly as one-dimensional. The Falcons view him as the jack-of-all-trades receiver veteran Brian Finneran has been. Finneran’s a potential free agent and isn’t likely to be offered a contract to return. That’s because the Falcons believe Meier can do all the things Finneran did and more.

In the short term, the Falcons want to use Meier in a receiver group in which Roddy White is the total package, Michael Jenkins is a complementary player who excels as a possession receiver and blocker and Douglas, Eric Weems and whoever might come in the draft, will compete for the slot-receiver spot.

The plan is to let Meier play a variety of roles to maximize his versatility. Smith isn’t about to give away the playbook, but it’s not hard to imagine Meier getting some time at receiver on running downs or lining up at H-back or tight end. He’s also likely to be a regular on special teams. Heck, it’s not anywhere near a stretch to picture Meier taking on another of Finneran’s former roles -- lining up on defense at safety and using his height to knock down Hail Mary passes or his strength to make an open field tackle in a pinch.

“Kerry and his family went through such a difficult time last summer and then he got hurt,’’ Smith said. “In that kind of situation, a lot of guys would have gone into a shell and just disappeared. Kerry never did. He just threw himself into his rehabilitation and he’s been absolutely hammering it.’’

The long-term plans for Meier could be even more significant. The Falcons believe he can be much more than just a Finneran clone. They view him as a guy who, over time, could develop into a starter because he can do many of the same things Jenkins can do.

But that’s down the road. For now, the Falcons just want to get Meier back on the field and into their offense.

“We got a look at his skill set in training camp and in the preseason games he played in last year,’’ Dimitroff said. “This is a guy we think can really help us in a lot of ways. We want him back. We want him back because we think he can be a very integral part of our offense.’’

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said plenty of times on here that Meier will come back in one year compared to HD and Jerry because when Meier made it to the NFL, he talked about his brother and how he wasn't going to let this opportunity slip away for his sake.

Having your brother die will make you appreciate everything tons more than you did. Meier already had a great work ethic but it is probably out of the window now. I am not saying he is going to turn into a top 10 WR but he will come back hungrier and better than last year. I'd put money on that.

And for those who give up on players so easily because you haven't seen what they are doing behind the scenes doesn't mean the coaches have.

Edited by vel

I said plenty of times on here that Meier will come back in one year compared to HD and Jerry because when Meier made it to the NFL, he talked about his brother and how he wasn't going to let this opportunity slip away for his sake.

Having your brother die will make you appreciate everything tons more than you did. Meier already had a great work ethic but it is probably out of the window now. I am not saying he is going to turn into a top 10 WR but he will come back hungrier and better than last year. I'd put money on that.

Also, in terms of his knee's health, I think he has an advantage. Meier isn't the quick twitch, fast WR like HD is. HD has to put more torque and pressure on the knee b/c he relies on cuts and jukes more than Meier does.

Meier doesn't have to put as much pressure like HD does and I think that is gonna help him big time in his rehabilitation process and getting back at 100%.

Edited by The Don™

Also, in terms of his knee's health, I think he has an advantage. Meier isn't the quick twitch, fast WR like HD is. HD has to put more torque and pressure on the knee b/c he relies on cuts and jukes more than Meier does.

Meier doesn't have to put as much pressure like HD does and I think that is gonna help him big time in his rehabilitation process and getting back at 100%.

I was just about to say that... Plus he may be a fast healer but i dont think he wanted it more then HD and Peria... Williams Moore said Peria was with him all offseason last year busting his but off to get healthy... The dude is a 300lb dude tho.. it took time and HD is a shifty quick twitch WR..Meier game is different.

Regardless... this is good news... A big WR running down the seam would be a great addition to our team.

I was just about to say that... Plus he may be a fast healer but i dont think he wanted it more then HD and Peria... Williams Moore said Peria was with him all offseason last year busting his but off to get healthy... The dude is a 300lb dude tho.. it took time and HD is a shifty quick twitch WR..Meier game is different.

Regardless... this is good news... A big WR running down the seam would be a great addition to our team.

?? 300lb dude? Peria right? :D

I wasn't saying that HD and Jerry were slacking, I was just saying that Meier was probably working harder because he had extra motivation. I don't care what you say, let a family member of yours die and you just got your dream job that they were rooting for you to get, I bet you would work harder than anybody.

All falcon fans can be encouraged by this article. I wouldn't have expected anything less from Meier. Losing a blood brother and being drafted only a week later is quite remarkable to say the least. Talk about emotion. Then to suffer a devastating, career threatening injury soon after is almost unfathomable. He's a man who will probably not want to discuss or take credit for a comeback imo. But, quietly, he will earn the respect of his team mates. He just wants to prove to them that he belongs. He will just want to join them on the field and be counted as a contributor. I know one thing. He will inspire us all when its said and done and he will solidify this falcons unit w/ a bond stronger than super glue.

Edited by HASHBROWN3

And for those who give up on players so easily because you haven't seen what they are doing behind the scenes doesn't mean the coaches have.

"Compared to HD and Jerry".....did it take these two longer to come back? :D

I wasn't saying that HD and Jerry were slacking, I was just saying that Meier was probably working harder because he had extra motivation. I don't care what you say, let a family member of yours die and you just got your dream job that they were rooting for you to get, I bet you would work harder than anybody.

I hear what you are saying but its all about the knee... dont care if you are rocky.. if the knee isnt healing its just not healing.... Meire may just be a fast healer... Regardless its good news.

Back to the subject tho... I'm not looking for Meire to be a # 2 or anything but seeing guys like Austin Collie and Blair White make a impact for their teams... i think Meire can also

I hear what you are saying but its all about the knee... dont care if you are rocky.. if the knee isnt healing its just not healing.... Meire may just be a fast healer... Regardless its good news.

Back to the subject tho... I'm not looking for Meire to be a # 2 or anything but seeing guys like Austin Collie and Blair White make a impact for their teams... i think Meire can also

Meier is a different type of receiver though. Blair White and Collie are more quick twitch and they were put in a position because of route combinations to succeed

OK, he is GETTING back healthy but he is more a possession receiver which is not needed.

no prob, I see what ur sayin but c'mon, the article is saying he can be much more and I believe it. In reality they are all possession recievers if you think about it. You make a catch for a first down and we keep possession. Once they took roddy out of the game last year, we were weak against both NO and GB. Time will tell....

Edited by HASHBROWN3

no prob, I see what ur sayin but c'mon, the article is saying he can be much more and I believe it. In reality they are all possession recievers if you think about it. You make a catch for a first down and we keep possession. Once they took roddy out of the game last year, we were weak against both NO and GB. Time will tell....

But they do not make plays after the catch and that worries me

I dont see those guys as quick twitch guys.... i do think the route combination def help them out

Blair White was a YAC who made plays with the ball after the catch. Collie, yes, he is more a possession receiver but he is faster than Meier. I guess my end argument is that we do not have guys who can make plays with the ball after the catch and I think that is the missing element. Also think the coaching staff is not putting them in a situation. I think people forget how important route combinations to explosive plays...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzAfF_oBWYs

I think Meier can get yac in the slot... it depends on the type of routes Mularkey can draw up

Maybe he can but I just think we need more elite talent at the WR personally. Yes, work hard guys but we need overall talent and speed and did you see the route combinations and routes these guys were running. We do NOTHING of the sort