Report: Liberty Media to Sell Braves

ATLBrave

This is from the AJC, and we all know the type of journalism that goes on there (or maybe I should say lack thereof), so take this with a grain of salt, but figure y'all might like to read or at least hear this.

Braves’ McGuirk unaware of potential sale by Liberty Media

Liberty Media, which has cut team payroll and increased revenue during it’s ownership of the Braves, may be preparing to sell the franchise.

Forbes Magazine is reporting that Liberty may sell the team in 2012 when their oft-reported tax advantages to ownership expire. The Braves ranked 13th in Forbes’ annual valuation of baseball franchises at $482 million with $201 million in revenue and an impressive $22.1 million in operating income. Forbes wrote: “It appears as though Liberty Media is preparing to unload the Braves. The tax advantages to Liberty’s purchase of the Braves from Time Warner [in] 2007 expire after five years and ownership has slashed player payroll from $102 million to $84 million since 2008 despite higher revenue.”

Braves president and CEO Terry McGuirk told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution he was not aware of the Forbes’ report, nor of any plans by Liberty to sell the team.

“I haven’t see the article — I don’t know anything about it,” McGuirk said. “The subject is not something that’s even in my thinking right now. We’re getting ready for the current season.”

When asked if he had heard anything about Liberty’s potential sale of the team, McGuirk said: “No, I haven’t. But other than saying I don’t know about it, I wouldn’t comment beyond that.”

Jeff Schultz on Sale

I'm in for $20.

I'm in for everything I have. Purchasing a major league baseball team is a legitimate use of student loans, right?

This is a tricky spot. It'd be nice to have an owner willing to spend a bit more money here and there, but we don't want someone coming in and trying to re-invent the wheel. The Braves have a great system, just need someone to OK the occasional big ticket purchase.

This is a tricky spot. It'd be nice to have an owner willing to spend a bit more money here and there, but we don't want someone coming in and trying to re-invent the wheel. The Braves have a great system, just need someone to OK the occasional big ticket purchase.

Bingo. Ownership changes could go either way.

He's committed to shelling out a bunch for the new football stadium though. I wonder if that would affect a potential offer.

Maybe he could go in halvsies with his buddy Bernie.

He'snot going to shell out a bunch lol, I think the latest draft I saw was for an open field stadium for about 750K... I could be wrong though, but compared to the Near Bil that Jones spend for the Technodome in Dallas it's not that much.

He'snot going to shell out a bunch lol, I think the latest draft I saw was for an open field stadium for about 750K... I could be wrong though, but compared to the Near Bil that Jones spend for the Technodome in Dallas it's not that much.

You mean $750M, right?