Falcons have their eye on Miami DL Allen Bailey

Falcons have their eye on Miami DL Allen Bailey

University of Miami defensive lineman Allen Bailey is now scheduled for an official visit with the Atlanta Falcons in addition to his private workout, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

Bailey is definitely on the radar of the NFC South champions.

He's also slated to visit the Denver Broncos and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Per a source, Bailey is going to be visited in Miami by an NFL head coach and general manager.

The powerful, sculpted 6-foot-3, 285-pounder ran the 40-yard dash in 4.71 seconds at the NFL scouting combine and registered a 36 1/2 inch vertical leap, a 9-9 broad jump and bench pressed 225 pounds 27 times.

Named second-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference, Bailey led the Hurricanes last season with seven sacks as he posted 45 tackles, 11 for losses.

A converted linebacker, Bailey has played defensive tackle and end. He has drawn varying grades with at least one NFL team projecting him as a late first-round selection and others expecting him to go in the second round.

Draft analysts have questioned whether Bailey fits best at tackle or end. He said he believes his best position is as a 4-3 defensive end.

"I feel like I probably could put on more weight, but we’ll see," Bailey said. "I’d played strictly outside the last three years, so it was an adjustment going inside. I got the swing of everything and adjusted pretty well."

As a junior, Bailey recorded seven sacks and 11 tackles for losses to earn first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors.

For his career, he finished with 107 tackles, 33 for losses and 20 sacks.

Bailey grew up in an extremely small Georgia town called Hog Hammock 15 miles off the coast on Sapelo Island. Recruiters had to take a half-hour boat ride to get to Bailey, which has a population of about 50 people.

The legend goes that recruiters were renting speed boats to outhustle the competition for Bailey.

"They'll find you anywhere," said Bailey, who chose Miami over Alabama, Florida and Georgia. "I wanted to get out of the state of Georgia, so why not Miami? It was pretty close. I’d never traveled too much. I didn’t travel at all until my senior year of high school. So, I wanted to do that."

It was tough for Bailey to organize games since there were only about 20 kids on the island.

"We had football, basketball, outdoor stuff," Bailey said.

Bailey bench presses 420 pounds and power cleans 375 pounds and was twice named Strength Training Athlete of the Year.

He has several nicknames, including Billy Bicep.

That met with Tampa Bay coach Raheem Morris' approval.

"Billy Bicep, Popeye. Big Bailey, a whole list of them," Bailey said. "Favorites for me were Popeye and Billy Bicep."

Bailey said he talked to Tampa Bay, Atlanta, the Kansas City Chiefs, San Diego Chargers and the Cleveland Browns for combine interviews. He also interviewed with the Falcons at the Senior Bowl.

Bailey has an 18 1/2 inch wingspan, 10 1/2 inch hands.

Bailey said his best football remains ahead of him.

"I kind of know some of my weaknesses," Bailey said. "Hands need work sometimes, getting off blocks, attacking blockers."

Now this is the trade back possibility... Get a extra pick and get the DE they want.

I think Allen Bailey can be a better LDE then most on this board (with good coaching)

I just cannot get into Bailey. He just doesn't apply enough pressure

for me. He hardly gets off blocks. I am also not high on Houston either. If I traded back it would definitely be for Sheard.

To most teams that off the field issue is not a big deal but with TD history... to him..it is... especially with a high pick... rather i agree or not.. it is what it is.

With Allen Bailey ... All i see is another under coached The U players... Its other DE's i would perfer over bailey but if TD felt like they can coach the guy up... I'm cool with us getting him.

The thing most have to consider is that when we draft a DE... JA98 or Davis is most likely gone so you will need a guy that can also play the run solid... So the DE we bring in has to bring that also

I really hope this is a smoke screen of sorts. We've been talking up our WRs and have reports out about us loving DEs.

I'd love to see TD make a strong move for a WR and then get a premier DE in free agency if it happens. We've brought in 3 rookies in the past few years -- Anderson, Biermann, Sidbury -- all to varying degrees of success. We need a proven guy, taking a 4-3 DE in the back end of the 1st round is a crap shoot because most of the top talent is gone. Yet we've seen teams hit with late 1st round picks at WR recently who look like they are part of the next batch of supreme WRs in the NFL -- Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, and DeSean Jackson (2nd round).

I really hope this is a smoke screen of sorts. We've been talking up our WRs and have reports out about us loving DEs.

I'd love to see TD make a strong move for a WR and then get a premier DE in free agency if it happens. We've brought in 3 rookies in the past few years -- Anderson, Biermann, Sidbury -- all to varying degrees of success. We need a proven guy, taking a 4-3 DE in the back end of the 1st round is a crap shoot because most of the top talent is gone. Yet we've seen teams hit with late 1st round picks at WR recently who look like they are part of the next batch of supreme WRs in the NFL -- Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, and DeSean Jackson (2nd round).

I dont count JA98 because this staff didnt get him.... Biermann and Sid was 5th and 4th round picks...

So i dont think we have realistically drafted a DE that we thought the guy would come in day 1 and be the future... Like Spoon agent said last year... He heard it was either Derrick Morgan or Spoon...

I dont think you can think about FA right now.. you dont know whats going to happen... If you need a DE.. you need to draft the DE u like... We will see who TD really likes.

I think TD really wants Houston.

Houston is beginning to make me think of a rawer version of Brandon Graham with higher upside, especially as a 3-down DE because of his 6'3, 270 lb size.

I'd really like to do what the Bucs did with their DT-drafting approach, nabbing a RDE like Houston in the first if he is there and a LDE like Greg Romeus in the 4th. Romeus was looking like a fringe-1st round guy before the season and his injury.

If Houston isn't there, I just don't think the value is there at DE in round 1. Maybe TD is anticipating Bailey being there in Round 2 which is plausible.

DE is a smart pick in round one. biermann is a great starter and abraham is too, but they need to get another guy to one day take abrahams place. maybe they think bailey can do that.

I realize you like "Bierr-fan" but please don't throw the word "great" around when describing Kroy. Maybe one day he will be great, but right now he is not even an average DE when it comes to getting the QB on the ground.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Apparently I'm the only one read that post carefully, go back and look at it and then maybe you'll get it.

Regardless, I will be extremely angry if we pick Bailey in round 1. I've gone over it enough times that I don't need to do my whole spiel again, but I think the earliest I would pick him is with our 3rd rounder.

Apparently I'm the only one read that post carefully, go back and look at it and then maybe you'll get it.

Regardless, I will be extremely angry if we pick Bailey in round 1. I've gone over it enough times that I don't need to do my whole spiel again, but I think the earliest I would pick him is with our 3rd rounder.

Idk man, I could break 4.7 in my high school days. AND I played both sides of the ball, RB and LB. Tell me we couldn't me....but like, a way better version of me. Sadly, Bailey prob has more potential than I do...******.

Plain and simple Bailey is not the answer. I think they are

really hoping for Houston. I don't think he will be there tho.

So other than Houston that late I don't see another DE worth

taking except trading back for Sheard. Which probably won't

happen. So maybe they will go with another position. IDK.

Plain and simple Bailey is not the answer. I think they are

really hoping for Houston. I don't think he will be there tho.

So other than Houston that late I don't see another DE worth

taking except trading back for Sheard. Which probably won't

happen. So maybe they will go with another position. IDK.

I agree.. He needs to be on a team that he will have time to learn....

Thats why us trading up or back make sense... If we want ore DE... We need to trade up

I agree.. He needs to be on a team that he will have time to learn....

Thats why us trading up or back make sense... If we want ore DE... We need to trade up

I don't see TD really trading up. Seems kind of conservative. I

can see trading back but for who? I'm not an Acho fan either.

It seems like every DE in this draft has major questions. Quinn, IMO is the best overall prospect, but he has had injury issues and of course the suspension thing. Bowers had one good year, and now a huge injury issue. Bailey has underachieved, and IMO seems to lack an initial burst. Smith and Clayborn both have questions. Although, I think Smith probably has the best physical skills of the two. Kerrigan definitely has the best motor, but you've go to wonder if he is limited athletically in the NFL. By limited, I mean is he an upgrade over Kroy biermann? Don't believe me, watch how Nate Solder, a very raw OT, dominated him. Houston, athletically is the next best to Quinn. But is a franchise DE?

So, all this said, I'm not seeing DE as the best value with our first round pick unless we really really like Houston (assuming he drops). But i could see us grabbing this kid if he slides to the rear of the 2nd round, or even in the third. I really really hope that FA starts soon and we can just sign a DE.