The question of the day

Aldon Smith. Ryan Kerrigan is a 2nd round talent in my eyes so trading up for him doesn't make sense to me. I would be ok with us drafting him at 27 but I'd be disappointed if we traded up. Aldon Smith on the other hand has the potential to be elite imo. He is #5 on my big board and is actually my #1 DE. I'd love it if we traded up to draft him.

If we trade up, I want the guy to have the potential to be elite. Ryan Kerrigan doesn't look like an elite pass rusher to me.

So I guess I would say Aldon Smith. With that said, I think Justin Houston offers just as much or more upside and will probably last until 27. I would much rather just stay there and grab him if we are looking DE.

In the end, however, we really need a veteran. Hopefully something happens with the CBA so that FA will be back on track.

Aldon Smith

Kerrigan lacks explosiveness and may turn out to be exactly like Beirmann...but I may be wrong and he could be like Patrick Kerney

With Spoon and Moore getting better and better I cant see why TD would turn away from another Missouri product

Smith has all the tools to be great, size, athleticsm and raw talent, hopefully that talent can be mended into a great pass rusher

Kerrigan, imo he is a Kerney clone and I want a Kerney clone back in Atlanta. Kerrigan and Kroy rotating at LDE all day long imo is a great thing, 2 non stop motors wearing a RT down sounds great to me.

Plus with Abe still here and Sid going to get playing time and DE we draft better be able to play the run and play it well because theres not much time for them to earn at RDE imo.

If we trade up, I want the guy to have the potential to be elite. Ryan Kerrigan doesn't look like an elite pass rusher to me.

So I guess I would say Aldon Smith. With that said, I think Justin Houston offers just as much or more upside and will probably last until 27. I would much rather just stay there and grab him if we are looking DE.

In the end, however, we really need a veteran. Hopefully something happens with the CBA so that FA will be back on track.

I would take Justin Houston with the 27th pick if we stay there... I do think Aldon is right now better then houston and with his frame as the ability to grow into a more complete DE... Also Houston is more of a 1 trick pony (beat you around the edge) and i think Aldon have more moves...I think he can grow into a guy that can actually be a guy that can really play LDE and RDE.... He also does not have that "motor" concern.

Like i said.. talent wise.. Getting a guy like Houston is a steal at 27... I think Aldon smith has more upside because i think he has that Justin Tuck ability once a strength coach get a hold of him.

We can rush him at DT some and have Biermann and Abe rushing also...

Id love either. Tough bc I think Kerrigan can help more now and in the next few years, while I think Smith would need a couple years to really develop although with a higher ceiling. I guess if I had to vote it would be Smith. We could just protect him early by letting him pin his ears back and just get to the QB in certain situations and not asking too much on 1st down verses the run.

With Ryan Kerrigan... If you would trade up for Chirs long.. I dont see why you wouldnt trade up for a Ryan Kerrigan.. I think he will be the same type player... I think he is realistically a 7 or 8 sack a year guy and solid all around...Maybe with a good D-Line like ours he could produce more...

Kerrigan for sure,when assessing the talent of a DE allot of people look at speed, technique and how fast his 1st step is. In looking at the Kerrigan highlights I think I've discovered a more important factor in a good DE. I believe that his 1st step matters but not near as much as the last two. In Kerrigan's highlights I've noticed that once he gets in a certain proximity of the ball he gets faster and more aggressive. This is something that should not be overlooked, after all this is the only thing missing from JA98s game, if he had it the entire NFL would know him and we would be singing his praises but as it is he gets very close.

Aldon Smith - don't know what it is but I'm not a fan. If we could trade up that far I'd go 1 more spot and get Watt.

I say Kerrigan only because he seems more of the kind of player that Dimitroff likes to draft... but I don't think we could go wrong with Smith, either. Smith might not make quite the impact right away, but could be a better replacement for Abraham in the long run.

The Kerrigan/Kerney comparison is dead on. I see Smith as a slightly lesser version of Mario Williams... a freak athlete who will need a year or two to grow into his role.

I would take Justin Houston with the 27th pick if we stay there... I do think Aldon is right now better then houston and with his frame as the ability to grow into a more complete DE... Also Houston is more of a 1 trick pony (beat you around the edge) and i think Aldon have more moves...I think he can grow into a guy that can actually be a guy that can really play LDE and RDE.... He also does not have that "motor" concern.

Like i said.. talent wise.. Getting a guy like Houston is a steal at 27... I think Aldon smith has more upside because i think he has that Justin Tuck ability once a strength coach get a hold of him.

We can rush him at DT some and have Biermann and Abe rushing also...

Aldon Smith does look like he could become a more complete DE, but I believe his ceiling is a quite a bit lower than Houston's when it comes to being an "elite" pass rusher.

He really pops off the screen with the way he anticipates the snap and his speed off the edge. If Houston can get a good D-Line coach like Hamilton and learn a few counter/inside moves, he would be an absolute monster.

I don't feel the urgent need to trade up if you can get a guy with the potential of Houston at 27. They are both good options, but I just think trading up would sacrifice too many picks. Especially if we can still land a top flight talent like Houston where we are.

Aldon Smith does look like he could become a more complete DE, but I believe his ceiling is a quite a bit lower than Houston's when it comes to being an "elite" pass rusher.

He really pops off the screen with the way he anticipates the snap and his speed off the edge. If Houston can get a good D-Line coach like Hamilton and learn a few counter/inside moves, he would be an absolute monster.

I don't feel the urgent need to trade up if you can get a guy with the potential of Houston at 27. They are both good options, but I just think trading up would sacrifice too many picks. Especially if we can still land a top flight talent like Houston where we are.

I can't really argue your logic; my fear is that Kerrigan, Smith, Clayborn and Houston will all be gone because of teams above us that need pass rushers: Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, and Baltimore.

In that case, would you be content with someone like Derek Sherrod at 27? Or maybe a wide receiver like Torrey Smith?

I dont think Houston has anywhere near the ceiling that Smith does. Georgia homer? Haha.

Not sayin that these players are like the 2 i will say but its like comparing Robert Mathis and Justin Tuck... If you can be a guy that can get me 10 - 10+ sacks a year type guy (and pressure)... You can be in that elite pass rusher class.. It dont matter how you get them... What then separate you is if you can be a guy that can equally play the run good also... That guy is more valuable because he can be in the game at any situation.

I can't really argue your logic; my fear is that Kerrigan, Smith, Clayborn and Houston will all be gone because of teams above us that need pass rushers: Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, and Baltimore.

In that case, would you be content with someone like Derek Sherrod at 27? Or maybe a wide receiver like Torrey Smith?

I'm not a fan of Kerrigan or Clayborn. I don't think they fit the mold of the "explosive" type player that we are looking for. I also don't feel like all those teams will go DE.

But I really think Sherrod would be in the mix no matter what happens. We need to protect Ryan better and he would just add more talent to the overall line with his ability to play LT, RT and G.

Torrey Smith looks like he has fallen out of the first round. I think it is a small chance that he is available at our 2nd round pick.

I dont think Houston has anywhere near the ceiling that Smith does. Georgia homer? Haha.

lol. No I am not a UGA homer at all. I just think he has a very high ceiling because of the raw tools that he possesses.

Not sayin that these players are like the 2 i will say but its like comparing Robert Mathis and Justin Tuck... If you can be a guy that can get me 10 - 10+ sacks a year type guy (and pressure)... You can be in that elite pass rusher class.. It dont matter how you get them... What then separate you is if you can be a guy that can equally play the run good also... That guy is more valuable because he can be in the game at any situation.

But unless that guy is one of those "can't miss" players, I don't think the trade up would be worth it. They both have high ceilings, but Smith definitely plays the run better at this point. I still don't think that is a reason to give up our 2nd round pick and possibly more to get him.

That would be like sacrificing our entire draft for one player. Even though I like Smith's potential, I don't think its worth losing maybe 2-3 other significant contributors that we could have gained had we kept those picks.

But unless that guy is one of those "can't miss" players, I don't think the trade up would be worth it. They both have high ceilings, but Smith definitely plays the run better at this point. I still don't think that is a reason to give up our 2nd round pick and possibly more to get him.

That would be like sacrificing our entire draft for one player. Even though I like Smith's potential, I don't think its worth losing maybe 2-3 other significant contributors that we could have gained had we kept those picks.

I don't think I would trade up and lose picks either. But the guy

I really like if we could somehow get is Sheard. I would take

him before Houston.

I'm not a fan of Kerrigan or Clayborn. I don't think they fit the mold of the "explosive" type player that we are looking for. I also don't feel like all those teams will go DE.

But I really think Sherrod would be in the mix no matter what happens. We need to protect Ryan better and he would just add more talent to the overall line with his ability to play LT, RT and G.

Torrey Smith looks like he has fallen out of the first round. I think it is a small chance that he is available at our 2nd round pick.

lol. No I am not a UGA homer at all. I just think he has a very high ceiling because of the raw tools that he possesses.

I think our 1st and 2nd round could do the trick.... .. I think Aldon Smith is worth that move up...

Getting a impact DE is just that important... I think he can be that

Our we could do a trade like the Chargers did last year... they didnt lose a pick

Chargers receive:

» First-round pick (No. 12):

Ryan Mathews

» Fourth-round pick (No. 110):

Darrell Stuckey

» Sixth-round pick (No. 173):

Traded to 49ers

Dolphins receive:

» Linebacker Tim Dobbins

» First-round pick (No. 28):

Jared Odrick

» Second-round pick (No. 40):

Koa Misi

» Fourth-round pick (No. 126):

I think our 1st and 2nd round could do the trick.... .. I think Aldon Smith is worth that move up...

Getting a impact DE is just that important... I think he can be that

Our we could do a trade like the Chargers did last year... they didnt lose a pick

Chargers receive:

» First-round pick (No. 12):

Ryan Mathews

» Fourth-round pick (No. 110):

Darrell Stuckey

» Sixth-round pick (No. 173):

Traded to 49ers

Dolphins receive:

» Linebacker Tim Dobbins

» First-round pick (No. 28):

Jared Odrick

» Second-round pick (No. 40):

Koa Misi

» Fourth-round pick (No. 126):

They didn't lose a pick, but in essence they gave up a quality 2nd round pick and really got a 6th rounder in return.

I don't think we can afford that with all the positions that we need to upgrade.

I'm not arguing the fact that Aldon Smith can be an impact DE. I just think Justin Houston can be an impact DE as well and it won't cost us a quality 2nd round pick to get him.

They didn't lose a pick, but in essence they gave up a quality 2nd round pick and really got a 6th rounder in return.

I don't think we can afford that with all the positions that we need to upgrade.

I'm not arguing the fact that Aldon Smith can be an impact DE. I just think Justin Houston can be an impact DE as well and it won't cost us a quality 2nd round pick to get him.

Thats what i dont get... We dont have a lot of wholes... I get what you are saying but we dont have a lot of wholes...I hate giving up that 2nd rounder but The only positions I would give up a 2nd for is a QB or DE... Those are the game changing positions...

Thats what i dont get... We dont have a lot of wholes... I get what you are saying but we dont have a lot of wholes...I hate giving up that 2nd rounder but The only positions I would give up a 2nd for is a QB or DE... Those are the game changing positions...

I agree. The only positions that we have a hole at is LDE. If Nic walks we will have a hole at OLB.

Ryan Kerrigan is by far a better player. He has all the tools that one would look for in a DE and there aren't many question marks in his game play. He could definitely be a solid starter in this league for a long time.

Aldon Smith, however, has entirely too many question marks. People are just getting googly eyes over him because of his size and his age. Other than that, he hasn't shown me much of anything. He has very raw pass rushing techniques and for a guy who was supposed to blow up the combine, he left a lot of people disappointed with his mediocre showing.

With so many question marks from Aldon, I just don't see why he's still receiving so much hype. At this point, I'd much rather have Allen Bailey over him, but Ryan Kerrigan trumps them all. Da'Quan Bowers is the only DE that I would honestly feel 100% comfortable with drafting over Kerrigan if every DE in this draft was available when our pick came up.