Amobi Okoye Not Expected To Be With Texans Next Year...

According to Rotoworld, Texans are expected to cut or trade Amobi. His career has been inconsistent, at best, since coming into the league as the youngest rookie ever. After a pretty nice rookie season, we have seen little from Amobi. The Texans revolving door of terrible defensive coordinators haven't helped anything, and the entire defense has been pretty bad even with a number of play makers. If he gets cut, I really think we should bring him into camp. His salary next year is expected to be about $3 million, so I don't think we should send draft picks to pay him that much money. Point is, the guy is still younger than Peria Jerry, and should have plenty of potential to go in our rotation at DT.

This was one of the players I wanted in the 2007 draft, but we went with JA98. The Texans defense is not one to poach players from, but I wouldn't condemn a 23 year old from that group either.

Okoye's career has been a disappointment as well - not as bad as JA98 but not a helluva lot better, either. I'm sure Texans fans are lamenting skipping over Patrick Willis just like us Falcons fans do.

Man, I remember when half of the board was so sure we were going to draft Okoye. It was a sure thing, kind of like Glen Dorsey in 2008.

I know Amobi hasn't had a great career since being drafted, but he's still only 23 and he has vast potential. I'd definitely give him a look if Houston winds up cutting him... he's better than Walker or Lewis and if we could coach him up a little we'd have one heck of a rotation.

And if he wound up playing great for us, he could lessen the blow of (eventually) losing Babineaux in a few years.

Wouldn't mind moving a guy like Sidbury and a draft pick for him. Getting Okoye right now is like getting a rookie since he is 23 -- Peria is already 27 and has a bum knee -- except he's in NFL shape. Playing next to Babs on the interior could certainly spark his play, but it's no sure thing.

Having 4 very similar DTs -- Babs, Okoye, Jerry, Peters -- in a rotation would keep our interior line consistent, fresh, and hopefully disruptive.

Sidbury would make sense for them as a DE/OLB 'tweener for their new 3-4, and hopefully a mid-round draft pick would be enough to get the Texans to ship him over instead of cutting him. Even if Jerry breaks out (please do, Peria) a mid-round draft pick is worth a capable NFL DT that fits nicely in our scheme.

Wouldn't mind moving a guy like Sidbury and a draft pick for him. Getting Okoye right now is like getting a rookie since he is 23 -- Peria is already 27 and has a bum knee -- except he's in NFL shape. Playing next to Babs on the interior could certainly spark his play, but it's no sure thing.

Having 4 very similar DTs -- Babs, Okoye, Jerry, Peters -- in a rotation would keep our interior line consistent, fresh, and hopefully disruptive.

Sidbury would make sense for them as a DE/OLB 'tweener for their new 3-4, and hopefully a mid-round draft pick would be enough to get the Texans to ship him over instead of cutting him. Even if Jerry breaks out (please do, Peria) a mid-round draft pick is worth a capable NFL DT that fits nicely in our scheme.

if we trade w/ Texans, we should trade them our 2007 1st round bust(Jamal Anderson) for their 1st round bust(Amobi Okoye). It would actually make sense for Texans too because JA98 is ideally suited to be a 3-4 DE and that is the defense the Texans are switching to anyway.

if we trade w/ Texans, we should trade them our 2007 1st round bust(Jamal Anderson) for their 1st round bust(Amobi Okoye). It would actually make sense for Texans too because JA98 is ideally suited to be a 3-4 DE and that is the defense the Texans are switching to anyway.

They will cut him though, I'd hate to trade them anything except JA98. Both teams try em out in training camp, then cut em if they don't like em.

Let me amend my proposed trade to the Texans because another Falcons-Texans trade looks like a whole lotta sense for both teams:

Falcons give:

Jamaal Anderson, 3-4 DE

Lawrence Sidbury, 3-4 OLB

6th round draft pick

Texans give:

Amobi Okoye, 4-3 DT

Steve Slaton, RB

With Arian Foster, Derrick Ward, and recent 2nd round draftee Ben Tate, Steve Slaton has no place in the Texans offense. He also has less value now because of the new kickoff rules. The Falcons are looking for a quick, change-of-pace back that we can use in the passing game: enter Steve Slaton. He tried to bulk up to become an every-down back last year but that just slowed him down and then Foster emerged as one of the best RBs in the NFL. Slaton can get back to his rookie playing weight and try to be that home-run hitting RB for us. We get two starters/legit contributors for a developmental DE that hasn't shown much in terms of progress, a DE/DT that isn't a great pass rusher, and a late 6th round draft pick.

To the Texans, they get a 3-4 DE for their new scheme, a guy who can stand up as a 3-4 OLB because the only have one on the team right now in Connor Barwin, and a 6th round draft pick -- for 2 guys that either won't hit the field or don't fit the new defensive scheme at all.

Slaton looks to be on the market, and Okoye looks like he'll be on the market too or just cut. It makes sense for us to call up the Texans because we could use them both -- we would not need to use a draft-pick on a RB this year then (or we still could) -- and they could use our players and our draft pick.

you might be on to something there bro. I just doubt TD and company make any moves for him but I've been wrong before.

Okoye's career has been a disappointment as well - not as bad as JA98 but not a helluva lot better, either. I'm sure Texans fans are lamenting skipping over Patrick Willis just like us Falcons fans do.

If only we hadn't switched first rounders with Houston that year. The Texans take Okoye at #8, the Dolphins grab a DE to play in their new 3-4 by picking Anderson at #9 and us at #10 flip a coin for Willis or Revis. Day-dreamin'

If only we hadn't switched first rounders with Houston that year. The Texans take Okoye at #8, the Dolphins grab a DE to play in their new 3-4 by picking Anderson at #9 and us at #10 flip a coin for Willis or Revis. Day-dreamin'

And we totally could have gotten Ted Ginn Jr. #championship