why is it that the city of atlanta has so many fair wheather, "undedicated" fans?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, it frustrates me that we are 29th in the NBA in FT's, take it to the basket. I dont mind getting blown out if we are taking to the hoop strong but cant get it to go down, but to be getting blown out then coming back and taking mote jump shots really pisses me off.

like now...they were winning and once they relinquished the lead, they quit playing... :angry:

Scoring only 10pts in the 4th with 2 mins left in the game and down by 9.... :wacko:

like now...they were winning and once they relinquished the lead, they quit playing... angry.gif

Scoring only 10pts in the 4th with 2 mins left in the game and down by 9.... wacko.gif

The local media was blistering the Hawks last night and again today claiming indisputable visual evidence of a team of players acting indifferent and apathetic while getting behind 40+ points at home.

If the payers don't care, why should their fans?

Its Real simple guys

transplants

most people you meet in Atlanta aren't FROM Atlanta

I don't completely buy that. There is no where that has more transplants than DC and the Redskins are huge here, despite being a bucket of suck for the last 10-15 years. There are just as many fans as other teams, but there will always be a huge core of Skins fans. They have a few championships to hang their hats on.

The Braves owe their following to TBS and being pretty much the only MLB team in the Deep South until the Marlins and Rays came about. Until the Florida franchises Cincinatti, St. Louis, Houston, and the Texas Rangers were the closest MLB teams.

Only 8 different teams have won championships in the last like 30 years. The NBA just sucks. If it's not the Lakers or the Celtics, no one gives a crap.

The Falcons need a couple Super Bowl wins. Pure and simple. That's all. If the Falcons go on 2-3 Super Bowl winning run, with consistent deep playoff runs in between for the next decade, they will be in the same conversation as the Patriots. Another team who always played second fiddle to the local baseball team.

If that happens, you will see a lot of those tranplants, and especially the children they had in Atlanta wearing Red and Black.

Edited by paulitik

like now...they were winning and once they relinquished the lead, they quit playing... :angry:

Scoring only 10pts in the 4th with 2 mins left in the game and down by 9.... :wacko:

I'm hoping that we are just growing through a really tough patch of games and we will break out of this and put up a fight with Orlando in the playoffs, but then I watched them lose to the Sixers and realized nope we will get blown out again.

We have got to get a true center, until then we will continue to get to the playoffs and will keep losing.

Im speaking of the falcons, and hawks right now. Not sure about the braves and thrashers but we all know about falcons fans and how our fans can be fake, but the hawks last night was just ridiculous. They got blew out by the bulls, and you clearly heard the chant, "MVP" as it relates to derrick rose. And did i mention this game was at philips arena aka the highlight factory. smh. So many bulls fans or bandwagon hoppers. It was like a homegame for the bulls. Reminds me of many falcon games in the past when we played big teams like greenbay, pittsburgh, indy, and so on. I understand their are some dedicated fans that will show up to support their team, so im wondering, when the falcons go on the road, do we get that kind of fan support going to other stadiums and making the crowd support 50/50???? Even if we won a superbowl, do you think we will get that kind of fan support? What is it about this city and its sports teams.

I HAVE BEEN TO ABOUT 6 OR 7 FALCONS ROAD GAMES AT GIANTS STADIUM OVER THE YEARS, FOR THE MOST PART I WAS LUCKY IF I EVEN SAW 10 FALCONS FANS AT EACH GAME. SO, MAKING IT 50/50 WOULD BE PRETTY TOUGH UP HERE. ACTUALLY WHEN THE FALCONS CAME UP TO THE MEADOWLANDS, TWICE, TWO SEASONS AGO, THAT WAS THE MOST FALCON FANS I HAVE EVER SEEN AT ANY OF THE GAMES I'VE BEEN TO. I REMEMBER BACK IN 1989 AGAINST THE JETS, I ONLY SAW ONE AT THAT GAME.

The fans were really coming around when it comes to the Hawks last year. Then they went out and embarassed every single one of them by not even showing up for the Celtics series. The fans booed and JJ came out with his comments about not caring if the fans even show up. I haven't seen phillips packed with Hawks fans since then.

Chris Webber broke down the problems perfectly the other night on tnt. Horford is a 4 playing the 5, Smith is a 3 playing the 4, and we just don't have a big man to consistantly control the paint. Both of them are good off ball defenders, but neither is a good post defender.

They had to sign JJ back last year though because if they didn't they would have only had 5 or 8 mil in cap space, but since they were retaining a player they could go over that. If we let him walk there would have been no replacement. I didn't know that he signed the richest deal of all last season though. That's just nuts.

It's all about winning. It's as simple as that. Until ANY team in Georgia wins consistently, they won't have a serious following. UGA has a large following because they have a winning record. As successful as the Falcons have been lately, they've barely put a dent in their overall losing record. Mark Richt is on the hot seat and he's given the Bulldogs two SEC Championships and a great overall record. The fans expect more because they have a winning tradition.

Edited by Sting

I'm hoping that we are just growing through a really tough patch of games and we will break out of this and put up a fight with Orlando in the playoffs, but then I watched them lose to the Sixers and realized nope we will get blown out again.

We have got to get a true center, until then we will continue to get to the playoffs and will keep losing.

I'm telling you man, The Hawks, with that line up, will never amount to a 1/4 of the talent that they possess. Josh scores 30+ and they lose because of jump-shot shooting in the 4th QTR. The word is out on the HAWKS: They can't beat the zone defense

The fans were really coming around when it comes to the Hawks last year. Then they went out and embarassed every single one of them by not even showing up for the Celtics series. The fans booed and JJ came out with his comments about not caring if the fans even show up. I haven't seen phillips packed with Hawks fans since then.

Chris Webber broke down the problems perfectly the other night on tnt. Horford is a 4 playing the 5, Smith is a 3 playing the 4, and we just don't have a big man to consistantly control the paint. Both of them are good off ball defenders, but neither is a good post defender.

They had to sign JJ back last year though because if they didn't they would have only had 5 or 8 mil in cap space, but since they were retaining a player they could go over that. If we let him walk there would have been no replacement. I didn't know that he signed the richest deal of all last season though. That's just nuts.

i think jj's comments have been forgotten about. Its not a big deal anymore, but they suck..Another loss last night after a big lead. If we got a legit 5, and a franchise point guard, we would be good to go. Joe is not a superstar but his contract says otherwise.

i think jj's comments have been forgotten about. Its not a big deal anymore, but they suck..Another loss last night after a big lead. If we got a legit 5, and a franchise point guard, we would be good to go. Joe is not a superstar but his contract says otherwise.

They r terrible... :wacko: I love em, but they STINK!!!

The Hawks are poorly run and they aren't winning anything until they seriously change their philosophy. In the NBA you need stars to win, you just do. Look at all the teams that have won the last 10 years. The best player on our team (Horford) is out of position.

The JJ signing was one of the most ridiculous and perplexing signings I've ever seen in the NBA. He is not an elite player, not even close. He's a good one yes, but not even CLOSE to worth what they are paying him. You don't pay for mediocrity, and the Hawks seem to be addicted to it.

The Hawks are poorly run and they aren't winning anything until they seriously change their philosophy. In the NBA you need stars to win, you just do. Look at all the teams that have won the last 10 years. The best player on our team (Horford) is out of position.

The JJ signing was one of the most ridiculous and perplexing signings I've ever seen in the NBA. He is not an elite player, not even close. He's a good one yes, but not even CLOSE to worth what they are paying him. You don't pay for mediocrity, and the Hawks seem to be addicted to it.

123 million for a what? 18 insignificant, none game-changing points per game? :wacko: :angry:

123 million for a what? 18 insignificant, none game-changing points per game? :wacko: :angry:

Yup, paying for mediocrity. The Hawks and Thrashers apparently have two groups interested in buying them. If that sale doesn't go through, the Hawks are in trouble. They are not building continuity with each other. The team is declining. Philly is only 2 games behing the Hawks for the 5th spot.

I would have loved to go after Perkins. I think he's the only reason the Cs didn't get another championship. No way the Lakers get all of those offensive rebounds if he didn't mess up his knee. If not him atleast a Gortat type.

I like the combo of Heinrich and Teague at the point. Maybe I just have low expectations from Bibby, but it's great to see someone putting some pressure on the ball and causing some TOs. No more Brandon Jennings going HAM on us. DRose is another story. He's just not fair.

i blame rick sund for this season. even if the hawks do make the playoffs, they will be ousted again either round 1 or round 2. all the goods teams in the east loaded up this season, and what did the hawks do????stay the course and give all the money to the so called superstar of the team who aint playin like it...smh I was TD could buy the hawks. We would have 2 sports franchises bringing home champions for years to come.

I agree. But what pisses me off the most about the Hawks is...Tieing so much money into Joe Johnson. The Hawks should've let JJ walk for that type of money. The Hawks got scared and didn't bother looking anywhere else. Boi oh Boi Marvin Williams -_- talk about disappointment as a fan. Marvin should have been gone along time ago. I swear every year we refuse to address the Center. I mean Got Da*n the Hawks get dominated in the paint all the time. This organization really has to sit down and put some thought in there direction.

Thats true but no one else can carry this team, if we want to be successful Joe needs the ball a lot and he doesnt get as many opportunities as he did under Woody, maybe the scheme wasnt bad maybe we need a **** big man to play center. Untill we get a good center we will never make a strong push for a championship.

Every year the Hawks refuse to address that C position. WTF????? :huh:

I was at the game when the Lakers came to town and I swear there were more people there to root for them than there were for the home team. In the final 2 minutes when kobe had the ball everyone stood up and cheered and chanted MVP as well. Shoot they were selling bootleg Kobe jersey's outside on the street across from Philips.

It's a shame but if our teams can show up for the game when super stars come through then maybe we won't have all this cheering for other teams going on.

+1 That's the truth.

Yep...great moment and reason too for the one championship.

But..........followed by by one of the worst trades (along with Bret Butler and Brook Jacoby to Cleveland for the sore armed Len Barker in 1982) shipping Justice and Grissom to the same Cleveland team for Kenny Lofton (one year rental) and Alan Ebree...just another reason to doubt for our fellow Atlanta fans!rolleyes.gif

If you're talking about terrible trades and Atlanta in the same sentence, you have to mention the Hawks trading Dominique Wilkins for Danny Manning.

I feel what your saying. But what was JT drafted for then? To ride the bench? The hawks drafted this dude what 2yrs ago or isn't 3? But anyway dude doesn't get enough playing time.

I feel what your saying. But what was JT drafted for then? To ride the bench? The hawks drafted this dude what 2yrs ago or isn't 3? But anyway dude doesn't get enough playing time.

The hawks will never hit the point guard lottery..Drafted acie law, look where he is now, had jason terry, look where he is now, and now jeff teague. He will never get his chance to shine. Either its the coaching, or hes just not good enough to run a team. Then they trade away mike bibby, and a first rounder for dayum kirk hinrick..really...kemba walker would of looked great in a hawk uniform.