Georgia LB Justin Houston ran a 4.57 today

NEW ORLEANS -- University of Georgia outside linebacker Justin Houston ran the 40-yard dash in 4.57 seconds at his Pro Day workout today, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

The 6-foot-3 All-Southeastern Conference selection weighed in at 267 pounds.

Houston is extremely athletic and finished second in the Southeastern Conference behind Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley with 10 sacks last season.

He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds at the NFL scouting combine, bench pressed 225 pounds 30 times and registered 36 1/2 inch vertical leap and a 10-5 broad jump.

Houston is scheduled to visit the Buffalo Bills, Kansas City Chiefs and the Minnesota Vikings, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

In addition to meeting with Baltimore Ravens linebackers coach Dean Pees before his Pro Day workout, Houston is set to conduct private workouts with the New York Giants and Atlanta Falcons.

Houston is projected as a potential first-round draft pick, and isn't expected to last beyond the first 40 picks.

Houston recorded 17 1/2 sacks over the past two seasons.

Houston would play outside linebacker in 3-4 schemes.

Houston did have an off-field issue two years ago with a suspension for reportedly violating the Bulldogs' substance-abuse policy.

Houston finished last season with 67 tackles, 18 1/2 for losses and was named All-Southeastern Conference and was a finalist for the Butkus and Bronko Nagurski awards.

He intercepted a pass, recovered two fumbles and forced one fumble. He returned a fumble for a touchdown against Georgia Tech.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Georgia-LB-Justin-Houston-ran-a-457-today.html

NEW ORLEANS -- University of Georgia outside linebacker Justin Houston ran the 40-yard dash in 4.57 seconds at his Pro Day workout today, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

The 6-foot-3 All-Southeastern Conference selection weighed in at 267 pounds.

Houston is extremely athletic and finished second in the Southeastern Conference behind Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley with 10 sacks last season.

He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds at the NFL scouting combine, bench pressed 225 pounds 30 times and registered 36 1/2 inch vertical leap and a 10-5 broad jump.

Houston is scheduled to visit the Buffalo Bills, Kansas City Chiefs and the Minnesota Vikings, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

In addition to meeting with Baltimore Ravens linebackers coach Dean Pees before his Pro Day workout, Houston is set to conduct private workouts with the New York Giants and Atlanta Falcons.

Houston is projected as a potential first-round draft pick, and isn't expected to last beyond the first 40 picks.

Houston recorded 17 1/2 sacks over the past two seasons.

Houston would play outside linebacker in 3-4 schemes.

Houston did have an off-field issue two years ago with a suspension for reportedly violating the Bulldogs' substance-abuse policy.

Houston finished last season with 67 tackles, 18 1/2 for losses and was named All-Southeastern Conference and was a finalist for the Butkus and Bronko Nagurski awards.

He intercepted a pass, recovered two fumbles and forced one fumble. He returned a fumble for a touchdown against Georgia Tech.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Georgia-LB-Justin-Houston-ran-a-457-today.html

Man I'm officially off the Houston bandwagon after listening to Mayock on NFL.com he mentioned while he looked great during his workout it just doesn't transfer to the game tape.Sorry Georgia Homers but I have to go with Mayock on this.

Man I'm officially off the Houston bandwagon after listening to Mayock on NFL.com he mentioned while he looked great during his workout it just doesn't transfer to the game tape.Sorry Georgia Homers but I have to go with Mayock on this.

Lol, yeah, I couldn't agree more! I mean, 17.5 sacks and 33.5 odd TFL's in the last 23 games of his career while playing in the SEC...I mean, he's hardly done anything.

I like Mayock a LOT...as long as we're talking about Qb's, DB's, and WR's. The moment he starts talking about the LOS players, his authority drops big time.

With apologies to Mayock, you don't average nearly a sack and 1.5 TFL's a game if you aren't producing bigtime on the field. This isn't the WAC, this is the SEC. Houston was routinely the best player on the field for the UGA defense.

I like Mayock but don't get him on this.

He seems to love Clayborn and has him in his top 25 even though his tape has him getting only 3.5 sacks last year. At least Houston's tape has him getting 10 sacks and 18.5 TFL.

I agree that Houston dissapeard at times last year. You must factor in that it was his first year playing OLB in a 3-4. that takes an adustment for anyone. Let alone a 21 year old kid with limited hours to practice each week under NCAA rules. Prior to that Houston was a 4-3 DE as a fresh and soph. If his job is to rush the QB as a 4-3 DE I think he will be fine. I think Mayocks concern is with Houston getting lost when he is a OLB and has to do things other then rush the QB.

One thing that can't be argued though. Houston has that natural burst off the line to get around the edge that can't be coached. You either have it or you don't and this kid has it.

If there are any warts on his character or work ethic the Falcons will know better then any other team with the ties VanGorder has to UGA.

You don't get 10 sacks in the SEC if your not explosive.

Edited by coachx

I really dislike Clayborn as a prospect. I just don't want him. Maybe if he fell to the 3rd, but he's not a natural pass rusher, and his shoulder issue scares.

If we just wanted a solid LE, I'd take CLayborn. But we already have a run stuffer who struggles to the get to the passerin Jam, and we hardly need another.

Is that killing Houstons stock though him playing as a 34 OLB I'm wondering.

Most draft sites I look at have him listed as a 34 OLB.I've got to say since we draft on a needs specific basis if this guy is even on the radar.

I to am not a fan of Claybourn either for me I want a proven 43 LDE and I think Kerrigan is the only guy they would look at if he fell all the rest I'm just not feeling.

Mayock to me is one of the best evaluators of watching a guys tape there is regardless of the position.

Most draft sites I look at have him listed as a 34 OLB.I've got to say since we draft on a needs specific basis if this guy is even on the radar.

I to am not a fan of Claybourn either for me I want a proven 43 LDE and I think Kerrigan is the only guy they would look at if he fell all the rest I'm just not feeling.

Mayock to me is one of the best evaluators of watching a guys tape there is regardless of the position.

Houston got 7 sacks the season before as a sophomore playing exclusively as a 4-3 DE.

I don't agree with the rankings listing him as a 3-4 OLB. Go ahead and say they're experts and I'm not, but he looks much better coming off the ground than rushing from the outside. I'd go so far as to say he even looks better as an end in their 3-4 fronts.

I don't agree with the rankings listing him as a 3-4 OLB. Go ahead and say they're experts and I'm not, but he looks much better coming off the ground than rushing from the outside. I'd go so far as to say he even looks better as an end in their 3-4 fronts.

I agree. I think a lot of sites are only going off of his 2010 production when he played in the 3-4 at OLB. From what I've seen from him over his career, though, he'd be much better with his hand on the ground in the 4-3.

The comparisons in that regard actually remind me a lot of John Abraham... a slightly larger Abraham who might need the coaching staff to light a fire under him to keep that motor running 24/7.

Right but how much is an upgrade is Houston over what we have now and can he play LDE these are then the questions I must ask if he can't play LDE I think the Falcons will pass.

Secondly though Sidbury got no time last year I really have to see if he has got anything before we start looking at shoreing up the right side.If sidbury does show up then I think this discussion is irelevant.

you guys, pickle, kiwi, draft-07 and coach x - you guys are all hittin' this one out of the park.

I don't like going against Mayock either because more times than not - he is dead on about this guy. If you will notice though - Mayock still talks about Justin Houston as an OLB - have not heard ONCE Mayock refer to him or classify Houston as a Defensive End.

So, therein lies the problem. As an OLB prospect, I probably would not draft Justin Houston high either. As a D-End, 1st round prospect, Baby!!! ;)

Right but how much is an upgrade is Houston over what we have now and can he play LDE these are then the questions I must ask if he can't play LDE I think the Falcons will pass.

Secondly though Sidbury got no time last year I really have to see if he has got anything before we start looking at shoreing up the right side.If sidbury does show up then I think this discussion is irelevant.

He's not very good against the run on the weakside, he'll get blasted on the strongside. I think we'll pass on him. If we get him, that to me means we've given up on Sidbury.

He's not very good against the run on the weakside, he'll get blasted on the strongside. I think we'll pass on him. If we get him, that to me means we've given up on Sidbury.

Yep for sure I have'nt thrown towel in on Sidbury as yet I want to see what he can really do even if it means moving Abe to LDE on passing downs just so we can either put Sidbury to bed as Abe's replacement.

given Falcons anemic passrush last season and Sidbury not logging one snap at Defensive End and being deactivated for most games tells me we almost have already given up on Sidbury.

sidbury played 4 snaps :P but i'm remaining optimistic on him though. he has all the natural talent you need. first thing he needed to do was just get much stronger to defend against the run and play with more effort and intensity on every down.

Talked to two scouts this week after the Georgia pro day concerning DE Justin Houston. One said he thinks the guy is a lock to go in the top half of the first round because of his size/speed numbers. The other compared his rise to Robert Ayers a couple years ago and said he doesn’t think he’s anything more than a 2nd/3rd round prospect.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-draft-rumors-3231.html

I would encourage you to watch your own film. You don't get 17.5 sacks in two season and not transfer to game tape. I think a lot of people want to make him a stand up OLB for a 3-4. With his size he is a truly athletic 4-3 DE. I think where the issues pop up is when you project him to OLB, then he may only be above average. He only played that position one year at UGA. I just think he is better with his had on the ground.

Right now I am taking place in a draft forum mock, I myself am a Jets fan but have the Falcons and Bengals as teams that I will be picking for for all 7 rounds.

Right now my draft for the Falcons looks like this:

1st Rnd: Justin Houston,DE,Georgia

2nd Rnd: Randall Cobb,WR, Kentucky

3rd Rnd: James Carpenter,OL,Alabama

4th Rnd: Casey Matthews, ILB/OLB, Oregon

That what I have so far in the draft, soon we will reach my 5th round pick for the Falcons, Im thinking 5 or 6 different options but really would love to get a falcons fan opinion for the best pick in the 5th round

Prospects I have in mind that are left:

Dione Lewis, RB, Pitt

Jordan Cameron, TE, USC

Ian Williams,DT, Notre Dame

Terrell McClain,DT,USF

Jaquizz Rodgers,RB,Oregon State

Jaquawn Jarret, SS, Temple

Now there is about 20+ picks till I pick but I think some of these guys should be there, what do you all think?

( put this here since you guys seemed to like Houston and have good draft opinions)

Right now I am taking place in a draft forum mock, I myself am a Jets fan but have the Falcons and Bengals as teams that I will be picking for for all 7 rounds.

Right now my draft for the Falcons looks like this:

1st Rnd: Justin Houston,DE,Georgia

2nd Rnd: Randall Cobb,WR, Kentucky

3rd Rnd: James Carpenter,OL,Alabama

4th Rnd: Casey Matthews, ILB/OLB, Oregon

That what I have so far in the draft, soon we will reach my 5th round pick for the Falcons, Im thinking 5 or 6 different options but really would love to get a falcons fan opinion for the best pick in the 5th round

Prospects I have in mind that are left:

Dione Lewis, RB, Pitt

Jordan Cameron, TE, USC

Ian Williams,DT, Notre Dame

Terrell McClain,DT,USF

Jaquizz Rodgers,RB,Oregon State

Jaquawn Jarret, SS, Temple

Now there is about 20+ picks till I pick but I think some of these guys should be there, what do you all think?

( put this here since you guys seemed to like Houston and have good draft opinions)

Jordan Cameron would be nice in the 5th. I think we might look at a 3rd down running back like Derrick Locke if he was still on the board, or maybe Taiwan Jones.

Pretty good job so far though, out of interest where did Ryan Kerrigan and Leonard Hankerson get drafted?

Jordan Cameron would be nice in the 5th. I think we might look at a 3rd down running back like Derrick Locke if he was still on the board, or maybe Taiwan Jones.

Pretty good job so far though, out of interest where did Ryan Kerrigan and Leonard Hankerson get drafted?

Kerrigan went 24th to the Saints and Hank went to the Chiefs at 55.

(here's the forum Im on http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=64621 , my name on there in JohnnyThaJet)

Locke is way gone, Quizz just got pick and Cameron just went to the Panthers at the top of the 5th, Im looking for maybe Dion Lewis at the end of the 5th as a good change of pace back or a DT.

Edited by JohnBoy11

Kerrigan went 24th to the Saints and Hank went to the Chiefs at 55.

(here's the forum Im on http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=64621 , my name on there in JohnnyThaJet)

Locke is way gone, Quizz just got pick and Cameron just went to the Panthers at the top of the 5th, Im looking for maybe Dion Lewis at the end of the 5th as a good change of pace back or a DT.

Is Noel Devine taken ?