Falcons looks for Big Things from Jerry

Zodiac

NEW ORLEANS -- When the Atlanta Falcons drafted Peria Jerry in the first round in 2009, they thought the defensive tackle would be a force by his third season.

Peria Jerry

#94 DT

Atlanta Falcons

2010 STATS

Tot

9 Solo

8 Ast

1 FF

0 Sack

2 Int

0 That hasn’t happened -- and we’ll explain why in a minute -- but the Falcons still believe Jerry will be a force in 2011. Yeah, that may seem a little strange since Jerry spent last season as a backup to 2010 third-round pick Corey Peters.

But there’s much more to this story and that’s why the Falcons are expecting much more from Jerry next season.

“We have big expectations for him to continue to evolve into a legitimate contributor for where we drafted him,’’ Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff said during a break in the NFL owners meeting. “This is a big year for Peria, as we all know.’’

Jerry’s first two seasons have been far from big. Jerry injured his knee early in his rookie season and returned last preseason. But he wasn’t able to claim a starting role. The Falcons said that’s because Jerry still was recovery from his injury.

“Peria was healthy enough to be on our 45-man roster week in and week out, but he was never 100 percent,’’ coach Mike Smith said. “I believe he got stronger as the season went on. We saw progress from him from week to week, but I’m excited about this season for him. You hear so often that the second year after a knee injury is when they’re really back at 100 percent. They might be back on the field in a year, but they’re not really back until they’ve had a season under their belt.’’

Dimitroff admitted the Falcons went into last season knowing they might have to proceed slowly with Jerry.

“Any time you have a big man having a significant knee injury, it’s going to take time,’’ Dimitroff said. “We were very aware of that and he was going to have to be worked back into the rotation. Corey Peters stepped up and really hung in well for us. That allowed us to step back a little on Peria and make sure he was healed properly. A lot of people are wondering how Peria’s coming along. I can tell you he is a guy who is very focused on returning to his full ability and we think that will happen.’’

Jerry is quickly running out of time. If I recall correctly, he was a 25 year old rookie. He needs to be at 100% this coming season, or he will be considered an unfortunate first round pick. He has a great deal of talent, but his injury is a serious concern.

I wish him all the luck in the world, but we need to be ready to say "good bye" if he doesn't reach his potential next season. From my point of view, that means that we should draft yet another DT this year, preferably in a late round.

Jerry is quickly running out of time. If I recall correctly, he was a 25 year old rookie. He needs to be at 100% this coming season, or he will be considered an unfortunate first round pick. He has a great deal of talent, but his injury is a serious concern.

I wish him all the luck in the world, but we need to be ready to say "good bye" if he doesn't reach his potential next season. From my point of view, that means that we should draft yet another DT this year, preferably in a late round.

Yeah, having high expectations means nothing if he turns out to meet his expectations as much as Jamaal Anderson did.

He was a pretty old rookie, true. His knee injury is also pivotal for a DL and difficult to come back from. I think he has a ton of talent, but injuries like that are extremely difficult. I agree that this is the make or break year, but who knows. JA55 has been around longer than he shouldve been.

I'd love to see PJ shine but I really think the only way he gets higher on the depth chart is by running Peters over in the parking lot after practice. I really see CP continuing to grow and locking up a spot right beside Babs.

I do hope PJ can get to a level where he can compete though. I'd really love to start our next season with PJ + CP + Tre playing at or close to Babs level and also find that Kroy's has taken it personally that everyone's calling for a DE and has gotten even better in the off season. I know it's a dream and asking for a little much but how good would this teams d be if it came true.

Calling a guy a bust after just 2 years is crazy (basically 1 year because of a injury) ... All that aside... As long as that knee is healthy i think Peria will have a great year... Looking at the games again hear and there... I saw his burst again.

I cant wait to see what he can do next year...

ProfootballFocus

Give This Guy More Snaps: DT Peria Jerry (+1.6 in 218 snaps)

There isn’t really a candidate for this category on a Falcons team that got their best players on the field. So Jerry is the obvious guy to go with, as a former first round talent on his way back from an injury that took away nearly all of his rookie year. The former Ole Miss DT had flashes as a situational rusher, but with Atlanta using three-man lines there was rarely a chance for him to build on the 11 QB disruptions he produced.

I saw the samethings

Calling a guy a bust after just 2 years is crazy (basically 1 year because of a injury) ... All that aside... As long as that knee is healthy i think Peria will have a great year... Looking at the games again hear and there... I saw his burst again.

I cant wait to see what he can do next year...

agreed.......I knew in pre-season that "something was up" with Peria Jerry and his injury. He probably was like 70% healthy for the season - Jerry deserves this season before passing judgement on him.

I will say this though, if Jerry does not play well and stay reasonably healthy this year, then I will be ready to judge....

agreed.......I knew in pre-season that "something was up" with Peria Jerry and his injury. He probably was like 70% healthy for the season - Jerry deserves this season before passing judgement on him.

I will say this though, if Jerry does not play well and stay reasonably healthy this year, then I will be ready to judge....

I agree 100%

The Falcons Front Office just dont want to see the Light ,,,,,,, This guy is a Bust out and the Falcons took him over Clay Mathews III

I know right? The Falcons pulled the Atlanta Hawks and draft a player and let a superstar pass them by.. (Chris Paul)

Edited by Skar

They said the same thing last year...

Yea, I think they were overselling it last year, you could easily tell during the preseason last year Jerry was maybe only 60%, he looked about 80% when the season ended, he should be fully back up and running now.

Yea, I think they were overselling it last year, you could easily tell during the preseason last year Jerry was maybe only 60%, he looked about 80% when the season ended, he should be fully back up and running now.

Just saying I'm getting tired of them saying something and then doing the opposite.

We were supposed to have gotten more "explosive" last year but all we did was get linemen and Kerry Meier.

We were supposed to have gotten more dynamic on offense, but it's still as boring as ever.

Ryan was supposed to go deep more, he was one of the leagues worst in ypa and passes over 20 yards.

It's time to stop talking and actually start doing.

The Falcons Front Office just dont want to see the Light ,,,,,,, This guy is a Bust out and the Falcons took him over Clay Mathews III

For all the wisdom the above post would like to provide, it lacks the important fact that Clay Matthews is a 3-4 LB, not a 4-3 DE, but thanks.

Skeptical about his ability or skeptical about him fully recovering from the injury?

I have never really been in the Jerry camp so I would have to say his ability.

I've been wrong before though, so I hope I'm wrong on this one.

Lord knows we don't need anymore first round busts. I haven't fully recovered from the Busterson pick and I'm not really happy with T-Rex either.