FSU lawsuit threat forces metro schools to alter Seminoles logo.

SacFalcFan

Man I think that sucks out loud. Poor high school and middle school have to use funds from a school board that is already facing a financial shortfall, and then this comes up. I've seen multiple high schools wear uniforms, particularly helmets that look almost identical to some of the well known college programs out there. If I were on the school board I believe I would make an attempt to create a formal resolution stating that FSU could NEVER come onto the campus of thier schools to scout a player.

Guest whitestain

UF did the same thing and it pissed most of our fans off too. A couple different highschools were using the 'Gators' script on their helmets and were forced to change them.

So stupid, especially since those highschools originally did it to pay tribute to UF and FSU. Seems low and unnecessary.

UF did the same thing and it pissed most of our fans off too. A couple different highschools were using the 'Gators' script on their helmets and were forced to change them.

So stupid, especially since those highschools originally did it to pay tribute to UF and FSU. Seems low and unnecessary.

FSU picking fights with high schools? I guess they thought the ACC added those teams... The talent level isn't that far off.

II don't understand why they go after these schools like this. It would make more sense to give them time to phase out the logos like when they have to buy new uniforms. To do this in tough economic times lacks good taste. Between this and how I felt the school did Bowden I am really starting to dislike FSU.

Yet more evidence most posters here don't know half the crap they spew. FSU charges teams that use our logo an insane amount at 1 DOLLAR a year to use a copyrighted logo. This school refused to play the 1 DOLLAR (again I say 1 DOLLAR)so now they will have to pay alot more to get rid of a logo that FSU let them use for 1 freaking dollar. Just last year a school refused to pay and FSU threatened and they caved in a paid the dollar.

But hey keep with the ACC insults or bring up Bobby Bowden. That is completely relevant to the story.

Yet more evidence most posters here don't know half the crap they spew. FSU charges teams that use our logo an insane amount at 1 DOLLAR a year to use a copyrighted logo. This school refused to play the 1 DOLLAR (again I say 1 DOLLAR)so now they will have to pay alot more to get rid of a logo that FSU let them use for 1 freaking dollar. Just last year a school refused to pay and FSU threatened and they caved in a paid the dollar.

But hey keep with the ACC insults or bring up Bobby Bowden. That is completely relevant to the story.

thanks man.. do you have an article on that? i haven't read that anywhere before..

cool man.. i knew you would have the info on this.. thanks.

No problem I just wanted to clear it up. Here is an article about the 1 dollar thing.

Manatee school board attorney John Bowen says he and a Florida State University attorney on Friday reached an agreement allowing Southeast High School to call its players the Seminoles and use a spear design on its helmets. Under the agreement, the high school will pay $1 per year for using the name and logo.

My link

Hey now, ACC insults are never out of the question (yes, I know FSU is currently a better team than UGA but still, its the ACC). In all honesty, I have few problems with FSU doing this and the hefty amount (sarcasm) that they're charging reinforces that opinion.

Principles?

Possibly the payment is symbolic of an acknowledgement of Florida State and to refuse such a payment, no matter how small, creates the perception that the school is not as much honoring Florida State as it is stealing their copyrighted logo. The administrators at this high school who refused the payment are complete tools. Heck, if I were a parent or a student, I would send in a dollar to the FSU athletic department in a school envelope. This is bizarre.

Possibly the payment is symbolic of an acknowledgement of Florida State and to refuse such a payment, no matter how small, creates the perception that the school is not as much honoring Florida State as it is stealing their copyrighted logo. The administrators at this high school who refused the payment are complete tools. Heck, if I were a parent or a student, I would send in a dollar to the FSU athletic department in a school envelope. This is bizarre.

A dook fan cannot possibly understand honor.

Principles?

See how far that gets ya in Georgia recruiting. In my eyes, it looks like free advertisement for FSU but maybe I'm missing something. I'm sure they've got a better reason then being short $1 a year, and I don't mean that sarcastically towards you Cody, but I would think there would be a better reason than that but I'm just not seeing it and I'm sure 99% of those that have read the article on AJC are just as angered and perplexed by it. Which is fine with me, the way I see it, more recruits staying home.

See how far that gets ya in Georgia recruiting. In my eyes, it looks like free advertisement for FSU but maybe I'm missing something. I'm sure they've got a better reason then being short $1 a year, and I don't mean that sarcastically towards you Cody, but I would think there would be a better reason than that but I'm just not seeing it and I'm sure 99% of those that have read the article on AJC are just as angered and perplexed by it. Which is fine with me, the way I see it, more recruits staying home.

This sums up my view

"It's pretty commonplace for universities to enforce their logos and trademarks. While FSU may seem like a bully, they have to enforce their trademarks. High schools just can't use what they wish without getting it worked out with the licensing offices of the respective colleges".

If FSU just let people use their logo for whatever they want then whats stopping people from printing it on t-shirts and selling it?

BTW FSU didn't send the letter to the school, the licensing company did.

This is what I was eluding to in a sense. FSU just went through the whole Native American controversy and this just seems perplexing to me.

This sums up my view

"It's pretty commonplace for universities to enforce their logos and trademarks. While FSU may seem like a bully, they have to enforce their trademarks. High schools just can't use what they wish without getting it worked out with the licensing offices of the respective colleges".

If FSU just let people use their logo for whatever they want then whats stopping people from printing it on t-shirts and selling it?

Thanks for the info. I still don't understand the whole way its going down. Why not pay $1? Hard to get them not being willing to pay $1/yr. Even so, I would not go after them right now.

Sorry to have brought up a certain old coach Cody. I was just such a big fan of FSU. Right there with UGA. Guess I'm just salty. I still wish them success as long as they aren't playing my dawgs.

This sums up my view

Cody, I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think if schools don't take steps to enforce their copyrights, evne little stuff like this, they lose the right to enforce ANY copyrights.

Part of it being a copyright is that you make an effort to keep it yours. I'd say this is part of that effort.

School board is ******** for not paying a buck. Law is ******** for making them.