Possible Trade back ?

Chargers, Pats to swap picks?

11:36AM ET

San Diego Chargers

* Email

* Comments2

That the New England Patriots could be dealing some of their draft picks this season is not too surprising; they're usually one of the more active teams in draft pick swaps. But a new report on Monday is noteworthy in that we now have a possible suitor for one of their first-rounders.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune passes along word from a San Diego Chargers executive that there is a buzz that the Pats are interested in moving the No. 28 overall pick, their second in the first round. Moreover, this executive acknowledges that the idea is an intriguing one for the team.

As Acee notes, the Chargers have picks No. 50, 61, 82 and 89 in the draft this year (after their own first-rounder at No. 18), and some of these -- or future year picks -- could be packaged to move back into the end of the first round if they like a certain player enough.

Interesting. The Chargers' main needs are rush linebacker, 3-4 defensive end, right tackle, middle linebacker, and #2 wide receiver.

They could fill one of those needs at #18 and trade back up with us to #27 to fill another need before some of the teams with similar needs right below them (NE, NYJ, GB, PIT).

Looking at the trade value chart - yes, I know some people hate it, but it's a good base to go off of - #27 is worth 680 points; #50 is worth 400 and #61 is worth 292 (total 692).

Personally, I would trade our #27 for those 2 2nd round picks in a heartbeat, unless someone really awesome falls. The Chargers could draft two excellent players like Craig Heyward and Muhammed Wilkerson, while we could come away with some great combination of players in the second round like Titus Young, Randall Cobb, Ryan Williams, Kendall Hunter, Kyle Rudolph, Bruce Carter, Mason Foster and/or Curtis Brown.

Edited by virginiafalcon

Interesting. The Chargers' main needs are rush linebacker, 3-4 defensive end, right tackle, middle linebacker, and #2 wide receiver.

They could fill one of those needs at #18 and trade back up with us to #27 to fill another need before some of the teams with similar needs right below them (NE, NYJ, GB, PIT).

Looking at the trade value chart - yes, I know some people hate it, but it's a good base to go off of - #27 is worth 680 points; #50 is worth 400 and #61 is worth 292 (total 692).

Personally, I would trade our #27 for those 2 2nd round picks in a heartbeat, unless someone really awesome falls. The Chargers could draft two excellent players like Craig Heyward and Muhammed Wilkerson, while we could come away with some great combination of players in the second round like Titus Young, Randall Cobb, Ryan Williams, Kendall Hunter, Kyle Rudolph, Bruce Carter, Mason Foster and/or Curtis Brown.

Agreed. And I don't think there is really anyone at 27 that excites any of us that much.

Personally, I would trade our #27 for those 2 2nd round picks in a heartbeat, unless someone really awesome falls. .

That we be awesome. I'd throw in our 5th rounder as a sweetner to get that done. Heck, I would even throw our 4th round pick in to get it done if that is what it took due to the depth in the 2nd round talent this year. We could fill alot of holes with 3 picks in the 2nd Round.

You have much better odds at finding a legit stud with 2 picks in #50 & #61 then you do with pick #27 alone. You can even make it into 2 studs with a little luck on your side.

Edited by coachx

I think the Broncos are a possibility as well. They have two 2nd rd picks, 36 and 46. They also have the 3rd pick in rd 3. Give us either pick in rd 2 and the 3rd rd pick.

Not a bad idea. But I'd trade # 27 and our # 59 for the Broncos # 36 and # 46. Point totals about even ( 1000 to 990 ).

Edited by Falcons 'til Death