Jerry Glanville to the UFL, Marty Schottenheimer to follow?

RHEC

I posted Chris Mortensen's article on this in Pure Football. It's just a developmental league and they're not trying to compete with the NFL. They put teams in secondary markets that have no pro sports like Omaha, Virginia Beach etc. The pay is not much so if Glanville or Schottenheimer want to run a team it has to be for the love of the game and just being around players. I think it's cool.

This league is an enigma to me. So far it has had one team cease operations before it ever played a game (Virginia) - 3 teams relocate and rename themselves (New York, San Fransico, & Florida which took the place of the expansion team Virginia that folded (Including taking on the name of the Virgina team) - been sued by Mark Cuban for failure to pay a 5 million dollar loan - only 1 team in the 2 year history of the league has had all its home games in one stadium. (Las Vegas)

I just don't understand how this hasn't imploded yet.

This league is an enigma to me. So far it has had one team cease operations before it ever played a game (Virginia) - 3 teams relocate and rename themselves (New York, San Fransico, & Florida which took the place of the expansion team Virginia that folded (Including taking on the name of the Virgina team) - been sued by Mark Cuban for failure to pay a 5 million dollar loan - only 1 team in the 2 year history of the league has had all its home games in one stadium. (Las Vegas)

I just don't understand how this hasn't imploded yet.

I'm with you on that and the local sports writers here have been very pessimistic, but somehow they (UFL) keep making moves. I just hope they can get it up and running. I believe there is a strong market for minor leage pro football if they do it right.

I'm with you on that and the local sports writers here have been very pessimistic, but somehow they (UFL) keep making moves. I just hope they can get it up and running. I believe there is a strong market for minor leage pro football if they do it right.

They may never compete with the NFL, but they have some good NFL people throughout the league. Not just coaches but GM's as well. Doug Williams (former Redskins superbowl winning QB, Grambling coach, & Tampa Bay front office guy) runs the Virginia team that just hired Schottenheimer. 4 of the 5 teams now have former NFL coaches as their head coaches. I think they are gearing up to maybe gain some momentum if the lockout runs into the season & the NFL starts losing games.

Personally, I'd love to see the UFL move their games to Sunday if the lockout runs into the season. If they can get some NFL 3rd string players to jump over, and if a network will air their games on the cheap, I think they could gain some popularity. Again, not enough to compete with the NFL, but enough to possibly become a real minor league for the NFL.

I think that there is enough interest and talent that football could expand enough to have 16 minor league teams. That would be 1 minor league (UFL) team for every 2 NFL teams. Even if you don't work it as a minor league system like MLB does, you could have 2 teams help financially support 1 minor league team (like say a team in Birmingham supported by the Falcons & Titans). Football at this level wouldn't be NFL quality, but it would/could be better than college level games (more parity throughout the league, unlike college).

They could still use more teams then just 5 teams though. The NFL does need a minor league like the MLB. I know the NFL had NFLE but we need a real minor league.

Sure it's more fun to see 10+ teams, but given the financial trouble the league is in this is all they can handle. Out of the five teams, none of them are stable as is. I really do hope they can figure this out and get going on the right track though.