Who would be the safest (non-bust) player for Falcons to pick at #27?

g-dawg

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who would be the safest pick for the Falcons at #27 overall? ( Some guys that you may want I'm assuming are off the board)

• Justin Houston, DE-Georgia
    • Adrian Clayborn, DE-Iowa
    • Derek Sherrod, OT-Mississippi State
    • Nate Solder, OT-Colorado
    • Mike Pouncey, OG-Florida
    • Aaron Williams, CB-Texas
    • Brandon Harris, CB-Texas
    • Jonathan Baldwin, WR-Pittsburgh
    • Leonard Hankerson, WR-Miami
    • Torrey Smith, WR-Maryland

I don't think the other 4-3 DE prospects (Aldon Smith nor Ryan Kerrigan) are going to drop to us......

These are the 10 players that I think have realistic shots of being on the board when the Atlanta Falcons pick at #27 overall.

Given this list,

who do you think would be the SAFEST pick for the Falcons? - meaning, they will be a meaningful starter who will play at a high level for 5-10 years?

I voted Harris I think he will be good... And you put him as Texas no The U im sure Texas would have loved to have him and Aaron Williams

ur right sorry 'bout that - Brandon Harris is Miami - my mistake - gotta have at least one typo y'know?

ur right sorry 'bout that - Brandon Harris is Miami - my mistake - gotta have at least one typo y'know?

Haha

I think him and Pouncey are the safest but I don't think either are a BIG need... yes they are both needs but not the BIG ones...

I wish there was FA before the draft if we could pick up a DE in FA I would love them to pick one of these two

Haha

I think him and Pouncey are the safest but I don't think either are a BIG need... yes they are both needs but not the BIG ones...

I wish there was FA before the draft if we could pick up a DE in FA I would love them to pick one of these two

yeah, I hear ya - this is such a big offeseason for the Falcons that its very annoying for it to be such an unorthodox offseason.

Another thing that will pizz you off - did you know this?

if players successful in filing an injunction the owners could decide to play 2011 under the same rules of 2010 - if that happens, Falcons COULD be precluded from making any big free agent signings because under 2010, the top 8 playoff teams were precluded unless they lost a big name free agent - Falcons won't lose any big name free agents......uggh, that would be awful - Falcons need so much more than just what the draft will provide.

Falcons need a BIG name UFA Defensive End - ideally Charles Johnson but would settle for Ray Edwards or Mathias Kiwanuka.

I don't think the other 4-3 DE prospects (Aldon Smith nor Ryan Kerrigan) are going to drop to us......

These are the 10 players that I think have realistic shots of being on the board when the Atlanta Falcons pick at #27 overall.

Given this list,

who do you think would be the SAFEST pick for the Falcons? - meaning, they will be a meaningful starter who will play at a high level for 5-10 years?

I think either DE's Houston or Clayborn, and OT Sherrod would be great picks for us,

and also an area of need, as well.

GO, YOU DIRTY BIRDS!!!

FalconJim.

I voted Pouncey aswell.Its a no brainer I no we drafted Hawley but as mentioned Pouncey covers both G and C and could start right away.

Outside of Amukumara and Petersen I think all the rest of the CB's in the draft are a reach at 27 and since we are only after a NB and Owens and Franks are still in the mix for us I'd be real disappointed if we looked CB in the first round.

As for Claybourn and Houston well I'm sorry I'm not sold on those 2 either.

As mentioned get the CBA soughted and bring on FA we can cure what ales us in FA.

I voted Sherrod, but Harris is right behind him in my mind.

The other guys either have injury history (Clayborn), questions of motivation or character (Houston, Williams), are "raw" talent (Solder, Smith), or just aren't that good in my opinion... at least not to justify being drafted at 27 (Pouncey, Hankerson, Hankerson).

If Smith or Kerrigan doesn't fall to us, Ill be hoping that we trade down into the early 2nd and THEN select one of these players.

Edited by virginiafalcon

I voted Sherrod, but Harris is right behind him in my mind.

The other guys either have injury history (Clayborn), questions of motivation or character (Houston, Williams), are "raw" talent (Solder, Smith), or just aren't that good in my opinion... at least not to justify being drafted at 27 (Pouncey, Hankerson, Hankerson).

If Smith or Kerrigan doesn't fall to us, Ill be hoping that we trade down into the early 2nd and THEN select one of these players.

I think Ryan Kerrigan is the pick if he fell to #27 - just don't think he will.......which "Smith" are you talking about? Aldon Smith? yeah, he's not going to be there either - hope I'm wrong!

Pouncy and Sherrod are probably the "safest picks" of the ones you listed. The problem is we need WR and DE more then OL.

Clayborn has risk due to the "pausey" issue in one of his arms and more importantly his lack of production last year. Was he hurt ? What was the deal. 3.5 sacks in the Big 10 is not impressive at all for a 1st round DE but he was an absolute beast the year before. Something is wrong there. No way you can consider him "safe" with his inconsistent production.

Houston is a relentless pass rusher and that is what we need more then anything. He is athletic enough to bring down a QB once he gets there.......unlike Biermann. I love Biermann. I even personalyzed a jersey with the Biermann name and jersey # but his production was just not consistent enough last year. A QB pressure means nothing if they escpape and throw a 20 yard completion (See games vs. Saint and Packers). To beat elite OB you need elite pass rushers. Houston is an elite pass rusher and has consistently been in the SEC for years.

I think Abraham / Houston could be our version of Freeney / Mathis. Then let Biermann excel and what he is made for. A productive specialty rusher off the bench.

Edited by coachx

I think Ryan Kerrigan is the pick if he fell to #27 - just don't think he will.......which "Smith" are you talking about? Aldon Smith? yeah, he's not going to be there either - hope I'm wrong!

Yeah, sorry... I'd be nervous to take Torrey Smith but I would DEFINITELY take Aldon Smith! :) No way Aldon falls to 27, though.