ESPN putting the Falcons on the clock.......

g-dawg

ESPN puts Falcons on the Clock....

Kiper says Adrian Clayborn would be a good fit for Falcons....

Dilweed actually said something I agreed with. He says teams with really good quarterbacks (like Ryan) scheme so they can put pressure on the defense on 1st and 2nd downs. The Atlanta Falcons don't do that. Mort said that was because Falcons trying to keep their defense off the field - I believe both of them are right.

Falcons for three years have had a good team but have been playing conservatively. Falcons need to get the proper defensive personnel in place and another weapon or two on offense and "Let's do this thang!!!

Agree with everything said.

I think our D is pretty close to being set. We could complete the D to compete for the next few years in this draft except for one of the defensive end positions. We've got our starting secondary for the next few years. We need a NB to add to the competition which will hopefully settle the secondary. Our LB core is solid. Weatherspoon/Lofton/Nicholas is pretty good. Nicholas could be improved on but he's not a liability. As for DLine, just need a successor to Abraham (Willing to give Sidbury one more year) and a LDE (Like Clayborn) that can do everything. We'll need a DT soon though.

After THREE years isn't it pretty sad that we still have to inhibit our offense's aggressiveness in order to protect our defense? Green Bay knew this, exploited this, and never had to punt!

Just how many more years will it take for us to put a defense on the field that we have confidence? Will we be discussing this same, glaring defensive shortcomings at the end of this upcoming season? Will BVG suddenly get smarter? rolleyes.gif

After THREE years isn't it pretty sad that we still have to inhibit our offense's aggressiveness in order to protect our defense? Green Bay knew this, exploited this, and never had to punt!

Just how many more years will it take for us to put a defense on the field that we have confidence? Will we be discussing this same, glaring defensive shortcomings at the end of this upcoming season? Will BVG suddenly get smarter? rolleyes.gif

D-Line needs to "bulk-up"...BVG must improve in any way...& PS- John Abraham is not getting any younger! We need another player like him!

Mike Smith needs to get BVG a couple of new toys to play with on defensive side of the ball - BVG needs to "scrap" the current defensive schemes for more aggressive ones.

Former Bulldawg or not, BVG needs to turn this boat around or walk the friggin' plank!!!

Mike Smith needs to get BVG a couple of new toys to play with on defensive side of the ball - BVG needs to "scrap" the current defensive schemes for more aggressive ones.

Former Bulldawg or not, BVG needs to turn this boat around or walk the friggin' plank!!!

My vote:

WalkThePlank.jpg

Edited by Quarterback

D-Line needs to "bulk-up"...BVG must improve in any way...& PS- John Abraham is not getting any younger! We need another player like him!

I think we need to prepare for two DE's--NOW!

JA is not only aging, but at his size he clearly gets beat down by the 4th quarter if our opponents are controlling the clock like Green Bay did. He has become a situational pass rusher and this will be his role moving forward for whatever number of plays are left in his body.

I think we need to prepare for two DE's--NOW!

JA is not only aging, but at his size he clearly gets beat down by the 4th quarter if our opponents are controlling the clock like Green Bay did. He has become a situational pass rusher and this will be his role moving forward for whatever number of plays are left in his body.

you must be performing the vulcan mind control on me.........."yes, I agree".........

you must be performing the vulcan mind control on me.........."yes, I agree".........

For me this is the most obvious and logical Falcon need--as it was a year ago! angry.gif

I am simply amazed at another topic here stating "DE is not our greatest need." huh.gif

It is not only now and has been our greatest need, by not addressing it would be catastrophic. There is little doubt in my mind that TD will go DE first in the draft if we cannot sign one through FA--unlikely with the lockout! If this isn't addressed as the highest priority, it will stamp as official his mediocrity in drafting (except the most obvious choice of Ryan) and player selection. I think than Baker, Jerry, and many others have been reaches by him and selected higher than their value warranted.

Think about it, after three drafts who other than Moore (and only a few games last season) on defense would one call a good or great draft choice by TD? For crying out loud Grimes is a holdover from the previous regime and he was arguably our best defensive player last season--that's not a compliment! Weatherspoon couldn't regain his position from Nicholas well after he recovered from injury.

Edited by Quarterback

I think BVG was alot better last year. He was more aggressive and did a **** good job considering our Dline was lacking. It doesnt matter who the D coordinator is, if we cant get consistent pressure from our front 4 our D will not improve.

I don't--see Green Bay playoff game! Pathetic pre-game preparation and in-game adjustments. He looked completely clueless on the sidelines and even the announcers mentioned his look of disbelief.

We need a big time DC like Capers to compliment this offense or we may be destined to perennial defensive washouts in the playoffs when we will face both great offenses AND defenses, especially by the conference championship. It is not a coincidence that the best two defenses--led by two of the best two defensive coordinators--played in the Super Bowl.

Edited by Quarterback

Wow, I usually don't agree with everything that Kiper @ Co sayes but I could not agree more with what we need to do. WE are so close to having the best team in the NFL. I think that TD and Blank should go for it and get these exsposive players like ,,,Clayborn , Houston , Gates , Cobbb , Scott , Locke ,

I don't--see Green Bay playoff game! Pathetic pre-game preparation and in-game adjustments. He looked completely clueless on the sidelines and even the announcers mentioned his look of disbelief.

We need a big time DC like Capers to compliment this offense or we may be destined to perennial defensive washouts in the playoffs when we will face both great offenses AND defenses, especially by the conference championship. It is not a coincidence that the best two defenses--led by two of the best two defensive coordinators--played in the Super Bowl.

What could he have done differently? He schemed free blitzers time and time again, but they didn't make the play. Rushing 4 was the same as rushing 1 so he tried the 3 man line and went to heavy zone to no avail.

I don't think he's the best dc in the league by any stretch, but I understand why the d doesn't produce for the most part and it's a lack of talent. High risk, high reward will only work out in your favor the majority of the time if you have the better players, and you can seldom say that about our players on d. Bierman has a cool name and had a good pre-season but not much else.

The ability to get pressure with the front 4 will make him look a lot smarter.

Like I said I don't think he's the best, but what would you do differently? You can't lock up in press-man if you're blitzers can't tackle. That's a big play on a platter. Zone blitz which worked as far as scheme wise in the GB game and he misses the tackle then you have a huge hole in your secondary. 3 man rush and heavy zone hoping the qb will make a mistake was another option that didn't work. Nothing worked because our players were just outmatched.

What could he have done differently? He schemed free blitzers time and time again, but they didn't make the play. Rushing 4 was the same as rushing 1 so he tried the 3 man line and went to heavy zone to no avail.

I don't think he's the best dc in the league by any stretch, but I understand why the d doesn't produce for the most part and it's a lack of talent. High risk, high reward will only work out in your favor the majority of the time if you have the better players, and you can seldom say that about our players on d. Bierman has a cool name and had a good pre-season but not much else.

The ability to get pressure with the front 4 will make him look a lot smarter.

Like I said I don't think he's the best, but what would you do differently? You can't lock up in press-man if you're blitzers can't tackle. That's a big play on a platter. Zone blitz which worked as far as scheme wise in the GB game and he misses the tackle then you have a huge hole in your secondary. 3 man rush and heavy zone hoping the qb will make a mistake was another option that didn't work. Nothing worked because our players were just outmatched.

First, BVG, Mike Smith and TD are 100% responsible for the talent on the field. They have had three years and had 9 new starters on defense for this game. If there's a talent issue, why? Either we need to fix our "picker" or fix our caching of the picks! I think both!

As for what I would have done differently. I think a monkey on roller skates could have predicted what Green Bay was planning on offense and defense. When it became most apparent that we could not stop Green Bay's offense I think coming out in the 3rd quarter we needed to be overly aggressive on offense and defense.

The offense needed to just turn it over to Matt Ryan...period! I completely gave up any hope when down 21 points in the 3rd quarter we are running Turner on a sweep on a 2nd and 9! Stupid! Certainly a more open and aggressive offense could have kept our defense off the field more.

The defense was clearly hurt by the loss of Brain Williams, but to say we were trying "everything" by blitzing a safety or corner, and/or switching to a 3 man rush, or even more press coverage by the DB's is wrong I believe. This is not a come from behind offense so it reached a point in the rd quarter when we were down 21 points to blitz rush on almost every down. I would have been rushing 6 or 7 guys on every play at this point.

That opening drive by Green Bay to start the 2nd half was a team killer and after the first couple of first downs and our defense just let it happen! Worse, they gave up after this drive and this is on the coaching! The Bears, the Jets, and even the Steelers in the Super Bowl were all down 14 points in the 4th quarter yet all three teams and their defenses fought and kept fighting to make all three close and winnable games--that's great coaching!

We can agree or disagree on this or that, but there is one thing that occurred that was most apparant and can and should get a DC fired. This was the most disturbing and demoralizing thing I saw besides the the one sided score. Our defense completely quit on this team and its fans in the middle of the 3rd quarter. Do you think a Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Chicago or Green Bay coached defense quits down 21 points in the third quarter of a playoff game at home?

Edited by Quarterback

First, BVG, Mike Smith and TD are 100% responsible for the talent on the field. They have had three years and had 9 new starters on defense for this game. If there's a talent issue, why? Either we need to fix our "picker" or fix our caching of the picks! I think both!

As for what I would have done differently. I think a monkey on roller skates could have predicted what Green Bay was planning on offense and defense. When it became most apparent that we could not stop Green Bay's offense I think coming out in the 3rd quarter we needed to be overly aggressive on offense and defense.

The offense needed to just turn it over to Matt Ryan...period! I completely gave up any hope when down 21 points in the 3rd quarter we are running Turner on a sweep on a 2nd and 9! Stupid! Certainly a more open and aggressive offense could have kept our defense off the field more.

The defense was clearly hurt by the loss of Brain Williams, but to say we were trying "everything" by blitzing a safety or corner, and/or switching to a 3 man rush, or even more press coverage by the DB's is wrong I believe. This is not a come from behind offense so it reached a point in the rd quarter when we were down 21 points to blitz rush on almost every down. I would have been rushing 6 or 7 guys on every play at this point.

That opening drive by Green Bay to start the 2nd half was a team killer and after the first couple of first downs and our defense just let it happen! Worse, they gave up after this drive and this is on the coaching! The Bears, the Jets, and even the Steelers in the Super Bowl were all down 14 points in the 4th quarter yet all three teams and their defenses fought kept fighting to make all three close and winnable games--that's great coaching!

Look at the Pass rushing talent on our team compared to the Jets, Bears, and Steelers. I agree that it's the picker, but you can only do so much with a few years when the team had so many holes. We have completely revamped the secondary and linebacking core with superior talent to what we had. The same can't be said about the Dline. The only real talent we have added is Jerry and he has been hurt his entire time in the league. Everyone else is a stop-gap at best.

I know it might sound crazy, but the Weems touchdown return was probably the worst thing that could have happened to us at the time. Our defense had no time to rest after a long drive and had to go right back out on the field. They give up another long drive. Our offense also had to sit on the sideline for an extended period of time and was flat after that point. When that happens we can't hide our defense with ball control.

I believe there is plenty of blame to go around, but i don't think BVG should shoulder the majority of the blame. He has to work with what the talent evaluators give him. His scheme worked, but the players didn't tackle the quarterback. If those plays were made then they would have been followed by punts not touchdowns.

Edited by ru_serious

Until we get it right...find someone who knows how to pick them and/or how to coach them.

We may never get it right and a roster full of average/bust DE's.

We should just accept that we will never be that type of defense. This team will be a offense first team. We need to get a WR with the first pick instead.

Edited by Skar

We may never get it right and a roster full of average/bust DE's.

We should just accept that we will never be that type of defense. This team will be a offense first team. We need to get a WR with the first pick instead.

this may be the winner of the "dumb post of the day"......what kind of bull hockey is this?

My thoughts exactly!