• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

STAFFORD

Fourth-quarter efficiency is key

Clayton_John_35.jpgBy John Clayton

ESPN.com

ArchiveMatthew Stafford had the powerful right arm. Mark Sanchez had the savvy leadership coming from an uber-talented Southern California squad. Josh Freeman had the down-the-line potential even though he came out of Kansas State a little raw in NFL skills.

Heading into their third seasons, potential won out. Freeman is the closest to being an elite quarterback from the Class of 2009. So often in sports, you hear scouts talk about going for the player who has the "greater upside.'' General managers often go for the safer selection, knowing their job security often can't depend on waiting for a "down-the-line'' prospect.

In this case, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers hit it big. Freeman was the 17th pick in the 2009 draft. Expectations weren't as high. Wisely, the Bucs didn't rush him into a starting job. They waited until the ninth week of the 2009 season to make him a starter and made the transition in a bye week.

Like most rookies, he struggled. He completed 54.5 percent of his throws, a typical percentage for a first-year starter. But he had a flair for picking up his game in the fourth quarter. By his second season, he was a master of fourth-quarter passing.

His 97.4 quarterback rating in fourth quarters was the seventh-best in the league. He completed 62.6 percent of his fourth-quarter throws. Top NFL quarterbacks earn their money with their ability to move an offense in the fourth quarter. Freeman has that.

He also has developed a great ability to get the ball downfield, an important part of a young quarterback's growth. Teams like to look at yard-per-attempt as a good barometer of a quarterback's ability to throw downfield. Freeman was at 7.3 last year. Sanchez was at 6.5. Stafford is a career 5.9, but his sample size is small -- only 13 starts in two seasons because of injuries.

The rise of Freeman is similar to what we saw with Ben Roethlisbergerin the Class of 2004. Eli Manning and Philip Rivers were the top quarterback prospects that year. Roethlisberger was the raw talent coming out of Miami (Ohio) who supposedly needed time to develop. Yet, an injury to starting quarterback Tommy Maddox gave him a chance to start and help to take the Steelers to the AFC title game as a rookie.

Freeman was a 10-game winner in his first full season as a starter. Although Sanchez has gone to two title games in two years, Freeman is the quarterback with the better stats and the better chance to advance to the ranks of the best quarterbacks in the league.

John Clayton, a recipient of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's McCann Award for distinguished reporting, is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

I am going to Clearwater in August!!

I want to move there.

I don't blame ya! As long as you don't mind the congestion during tourist season. Clearwater Beach is the Best. My folks lived on Island Estates right off Memorial Causeway for many years until my Dad passed away in 1980. Just about every house out there is directly on the water. When the hosing boom hit you couldn't find a nice place out there for less than a $ Million but it's much more reasonable now but the property tax& insurance will still kill ya. Find a place NEAR the water with a water view of the Gulf and you'll save a huge amount. That's what we ended up doing. In my opinion just stay as near the water as you can. Why else move to Florida? These people that live in Orlando and Central Florida are NUTS! You might as well be living in the Dayton, Ohio for Christ sake!rolleyes.gif

Naturally you'll start rooting for the BUCS, Right?..................RIGHT?wink.gif

Haha jb negative on rooting for the Bucs, but I don't hate them.

I still have a year left before I can sell my condo here, so I don't have to pay back the 8000 from the first time home buyer thing. Than I am going to start looking for work their and rock and roll.

No $HIT????????? That IS funny!!!

Great question. It was an equally good, objective answer but the TATFers will have NO PART of something like that.laugh.gif

Do you know how to process what you read?? Wyche said Ryan IS better and Free is up and coming. Why wouldn't I agree with that??

YOU'RE the only 'tard who says Freeman is CURRENTLY better than Ryan, as this 34 page thesis on idiocy attests to. :huh:

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

Ryan is a little girl in Freeman's world.......He's still hiding out after that Packers "beatdown"..........wimp.....

YUP!! But the HOMER TATFers Can't handle the fact that Freeman is now better than lil' Mattie Ice.

He did get married in the offseason but that's not gonna be enough to help him keep up with the quarterback JUGGERNAUT that is...........JOSH FREEMAN!wink.gif

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

You call us homers then proceed to prove that you, yourself are a homer in the same post. Nice one. ;)

How so? Because I say that Freeman is a better quarterback? If he played for any other team I'd say the same thing. It doesn't matter where he plays............HE's better than Ryan.

That makes me a HOMER? Sorry, but..........no.

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

That is YOUR opinion. Outside Buc and Falcon fans, there aren't nearly as many people with that same opinion. Josh Freeman has not proven he is better than Matt Ryan.

But according to you that makes me a HOMER! You just said so! Freeman has shown he's going to be BETTER than Ryan and you don't believe it. That's fine. You're WRONG but you have every right to be.wink.gif

I'm NOT the homer here it's you TATFers that have come over here due to the Lockout and tried to spread the PRO-Falcon propaganda here. But none of us that know football are buying it and drives you all nuts.laugh.gif

YUP!! But the HOMER TATFers Can't handle the fact that Freeman is now better than lil' Mattie Ice.

He did get married in the offseason but that's not gonna be enough to help him keep up with the quarterback JUGGERNAUT that is...........JOSH FREEMAN!wink.gif

??? Did I miss something where Steve Wyche replied, "Matt Ryan is better now. Freeman is up and coming..."???

Fantasyland... where truth and fiction are one and the same :lol:

Steve Wyche, NFL.com

Jeffrey, Right now, Matt Ryan. A year or two from now, it could very well be Josh Freeman

Nope. That's what it says right there in jb's own post. just had to check to make sure I wasn't the one reading anything incorrectly.

"Matt Ryan is better. Free COULD BE...

Not "is". Not "will be". "COULD BE." ..."A YEAR OR TWO FROM NOW..."

Why are we still here!!?? :blink:

Edited by Falconcheff
Guest jb aka johnnybuc

??? Did I miss something where Steve Wyche replied, "Matt Ryan is better now. Freeman is up and coming..."???

Fantasyland... where truth and fiction are one and the same :lol:

I simply posted that to show that Wyche agreed with me and every other NON- TATFer that believes Ryan had better talent around him his first 2 years. You can't accept it? That's NOT our problem.rolleyes.gif

Wait, are we allowed to quote Steve Wyche or not?

Anytime he says something negative about the team, we hear that he is a well known falcon hater, but now you want to pick and choose the positive things he says?

Once and for all, is his body of work fair game, or is it all biased?

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

Wait, are we allowed to quote Steve Wyche or not?

Anytime he says something negative about the team, we hear that he is a well known falcon hater, but now you want to pick and choose the positive things he says?

Once and for all, is his body of work fair game, or is it all biased?

Remember, you're dealing with folks that are usually over on TATF so if it's not positive about the Falcons or negative about any other team it's complete bunk in their minds.wink.gif

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

I cant believe this is still going on :lol: I'm starting to think the lock out will end before this thread does

This thread is gonna be kept going until Ryan PROVES he can surpass Freeman's superior ability as an NFL Quarterback.

Going by the last game he played he has a helluva long way to go!wink.gif

Best QB from Class of 2009? Josh Freeman

By Pat Yasinskas

Over on our main NFL page, we’ve got a Hot Button debate on which quarterback from 2009 will have the best career.

John Clayton argues the case for Tampa Bay’s Josh Freeman and Kevin Seifert presents Matthew Stafford. New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez also is on the ballot and I encourage you to go over there and cast your vote. I just did.

I voted for Freeman and it wasn’t even close. I think the guy who took the Bucs from 3-13 to 10-6 in his first full season as the starter has way more upside than Sanchez and Stafford. I’m not trying to sell either of those guys short. Sanchez already has proven to be a solid NFL quarterback, but I don’t see him as the type of guy who can carry an offense on his own. Stafford’s had some bright moments, but hasn’t gotten his career firmly on track.

Freeman’s so big and strong that it’s tough to imagine injuries ever having a big impact on him. More importantly, there’s no doubt Freeman can carry an offense. He already did it last year.

He took the Bucs to the cusp of a playoff berth in a season where the team often was starting rookies Mike Williams and Arrelious Benn at wide receiver and LeGarrette Blount at running back. The Bucs also were playing a lot of young offensive linemen.

Freeman still managed to throw for 25 touchdowns and six interceptions. Imagine what he can do when the players around him grow up?

Best QB from Class of 2009? Josh Freeman

By Pat Yasinskas

Over on our main NFL page, we’ve got a Hot Button debate on which quarterback from 2009 will have the best career.

John Clayton argues the case for Tampa Bay’s Josh Freeman and Kevin Seifert presents Matthew Stafford. New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez also is on the ballot and I encourage you to go over there and cast your vote. I just did.

I voted for Freeman and it wasn’t even close. I think the guy who took the Bucs from 3-13 to 10-6 in his first full season as the starter has way more upside than Sanchez and Stafford. I’m not trying to sell either of those guys short. Sanchez already has proven to be a solid NFL quarterback, but I don’t see him as the type of guy who can carry an offense on his own. Stafford’s had some bright moments, but hasn’t gotten his career firmly on track.

Freeman’s so big and strong that it’s tough to imagine injuries ever having a big impact on him. More importantly, there’s no doubt Freeman can carry an offense. He already did it last year.

He took the Bucs to the cusp of a playoff berth in a season where the team often was starting rookies Mike Williams and Arrelious Benn at wide receiver and LeGarrette Blount at running back. The Bucs also were playing a lot of young offensive linemen.

Freeman still managed to throw for 25 touchdowns and six interceptions. Imagine what he can do when the players around him grow up?

I agree. I have to admit, I'm interested in what he'll do this year. It's hard not to pull for the guy(even tho I'm totally not). God I hope the bucs arent this year's media underdog darlings

I simply posted that to show that Wyche agreed with me and every other NON- TATFer that believes Ryan had better talent around him his first 2 years. You can't accept it? That's NOT our problem.rolleyes.gif

But this is YOUR thread. And YOU posted, "Josh Freeman IS so much better than Matt Ryan." Then YOU posted the article by Steve Wyche to prove some point. But the article claims Ryan IS better and Free COULD BE better IN A YEAR OR TWO." You then went on to make a statement the complete opposite of what the article states and your minions all applaud.

The article YOU posted says Ryan is better than Freeman. Your thread about Freeman better than Ryan.

What am I missing here?? :wacko: :blink: :wacko:

But this is YOUR thread. And YOU posted, "Josh Freeman IS so much better than Matt Ryan." Then YOU posted the article by Steve Wyche to prove some point. But the article claims Ryan IS better and Free COULD BE better IN A YEAR OR TWO." You then went on to make a statement the complete opposite of what the article states and your minions all applaud.

The article YOU posted says Ryan is better than Freeman. Your thread about Freeman better than Ryan.

What am I missing here?? :wacko: :blink: :wacko:

As a matter, I started this topic.