Josh freeman is so much better then matt ryan

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

Oh rev, ive got some special stuff jus for u. A lil something I grew, makes u feel young again. :P

YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!wink.gif

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

On Saturday, the Iceman stunketh. (AJC photo by Jason Getz)

A month ago we wondered if Matt Ryan might be the NFL's MVP. Now we get to spend the next eight months pondering whether Matty Ice might be overhyped. (Google his name and "overrated." You'll get the drift.) He has led the Falcons to three consecutive winning seasons — before Ryan arrived, no Atlanta quarterback had managed even two — but twice he has saved his worst for last.

Ryan's playoff numbers: A total of 385 yards passing; an average of 5.7 yards per pass (which is awful); three touchdowns; four interceptions; two fumbles lost; eight sacks. He was a rookie on the road against Arizona in January 2009, but Saturday he was a fully blooded professional working in the building he has made his own.

Yes, winning in postseason is hard. (Peyton Manning needed six seasons to win his first playoff game; John Elway needed four.) But the magnitude of the loss to Green Bay has forced us to look harder at the 13-3 Falcons, and we cannot excuse Ryan from that examination.

He ranked ninth among NFL quarterbacks this season in yards passing. He was tied for sixth (with the Packers' Aaron Rodgers) in touchdown passes and was 12th (just behind Michael Vick) in completion percentage. His passer rating of 91.9 slotted him 11th (just behind Peyton Manning, just ahead of Drew Brees). His average of 6.5 yards per pass was 26th best in a 32-team league. Ryan was named to the NFC's Pro Bowl roster, but his numbers weren't Pro Bowl caliber.

And yet: Ryan was great on third down — the Falcons ranked third behind New Orleans and New England in conversions — and he engineered six victories when the Falcons trailed or were tied in the fourth quarter. And that's the perplexing part. The Falcons know full well what this quarterback can do, but they take their time getting around to letting him do it.

It's not that they're afraid Ryan will mess up: He threw only nine interceptions in 571 passes this season, and those 571 attempts were the sixth-most by any quarterback. It isn't that he doesn't get to throw but that he throws to so little effect. Ryan's longest completion this season was for 46 yards; every regular starting quarterback save Arizona's Derek Anderson managed a more substantial gain.

About here, I know what some among you are saying: "See! I told you he doesn't have the arm strength!" Balderdash. His arm meets NFL specifications. And if arm strength were the sole determinant, Jeff George would have been Joe Montana.

Back to Saturday night: Rodgers had seven completions of 20 or more yards; Ryan had two, both to Michael Jenkins. As weird as it sounds, the author of so many winning drives seemed scared to dare — except for the one time when he shouldn't have, on his fateful final pass of the first half.

Rate Matt Ryan.

Great quarterback.

Good quarterback.

Average quarterback.

View Results

There are times — Saturday's game was the most striking, but it wasn't the only example — where the famously apt pupil leaves the impression of having studied too hard. At Boston College he was dauntless, but the Falcons have coached much of the flair out of him. That will have to change. Robots don't win the Super Bowl. Quarterbacks willing to take risks and make plays do.

So: Is Ryan overrated? He is if you deem him one of the league's best half-dozen quarterbacks. He's not there yet. (The top six: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, Rodgers and Philip Rivers.) But Ryan is among the top 10, and that could/should be good enough.

The more I see of him, the more I go back to the supposition of last season: That Ryan is closer to Eli Manning than to Peyton, that he's a very good quarterback but not quite a great one. And that's OK — Eli Manning has a Super Bowl ring of his own. The bottom line is that the Falcons can win a championship with Matt Ryan. They didn't this time, but plenty of next times remain.

By Mark Bradley

I'm still upset that Donald Penn had to protect his blindside at the probowl. That pale, buttermilk biscuit with thin hair won't do squat next year. Josh Freeman will win more games in 2011.

You've seen the most you're going to see out of the stain. Freemans best has yet to come.

Freakin' High Plains Drifter.

On Saturday, the Iceman stunketh. (AJC photo by Jason Getz)

A month ago we wondered if Matt Ryan might be the NFL's MVP. Now we get to spend the next eight months pondering whether Matty Ice might be overhyped. (Google his name and "overrated." You'll get the drift.) He has led the Falcons to three consecutive winning seasons — before Ryan arrived, no Atlanta quarterback had managed even two — but twice he has saved his worst for last.

Ryan's playoff numbers: A total of 385 yards passing; an average of 5.7 yards per pass (which is awful); three touchdowns; four interceptions; two fumbles lost; eight sacks. He was a rookie on the road against Arizona in January 2009, but Saturday he was a fully blooded professional working in the building he has made his own.

Yes, winning in postseason is hard. (Peyton Manning needed six seasons to win his first playoff game; John Elway needed four.) But the magnitude of the loss to Green Bay has forced us to look harder at the 13-3 Falcons, and we cannot excuse Ryan from that examination.

He ranked ninth among NFL quarterbacks this season in yards passing. He was tied for sixth (with the Packers' Aaron Rodgers) in touchdown passes and was 12th (just behind Michael Vick) in completion percentage. His passer rating of 91.9 slotted him 11th (just behind Peyton Manning, just ahead of Drew Brees). His average of 6.5 yards per pass was 26th best in a 32-team league. Ryan was named to the NFC's Pro Bowl roster, but his numbers weren't Pro Bowl caliber.

And yet: Ryan was great on third down — the Falcons ranked third behind New Orleans and New England in conversions — and he engineered six victories when the Falcons trailed or were tied in the fourth quarter. And that's the perplexing part. The Falcons know full well what this quarterback can do, but they take their time getting around to letting him do it.

It's not that they're afraid Ryan will mess up: He threw only nine interceptions in 571 passes this season, and those 571 attempts were the sixth-most by any quarterback. It isn't that he doesn't get to throw but that he throws to so little effect. Ryan's longest completion this season was for 46 yards; every regular starting quarterback save Arizona's Derek Anderson managed a more substantial gain.

About here, I know what some among you are saying: "See! I told you he doesn't have the arm strength!" Balderdash. His arm meets NFL specifications. And if arm strength were the sole determinant, Jeff George would have been Joe Montana.

Back to Saturday night: Rodgers had seven completions of 20 or more yards; Ryan had two, both to Michael Jenkins. As weird as it sounds, the author of so many winning drives seemed scared to dare — except for the one time when he shouldn't have, on his fateful final pass of the first half.

Rate Matt Ryan.

Great quarterback.

Good quarterback.

Average quarterback.

View Results

There are times — Saturday's game was the most striking, but it wasn't the only example — where the famously apt pupil leaves the impression of having studied too hard. At Boston College he was dauntless, but the Falcons have coached much of the flair out of him. That will have to change. Robots don't win the Super Bowl. Quarterbacks willing to take risks and make plays do.

So: Is Ryan overrated? He is if you deem him one of the league's best half-dozen quarterbacks. He's not there yet. (The top six: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, Rodgers and Philip Rivers.) But Ryan is among the top 10, and that could/should be good enough.

The more I see of him, the more I go back to the supposition of last season: That Ryan is closer to Eli Manning than to Peyton, that he's a very good quarterback but not quite a great one. And that's OK — Eli Manning has a Super Bowl ring of his own. The bottom line is that the Falcons can win a championship with Matt Ryan. They didn't this time, but plenty of next times remain.

By Mark Bradley

Can win a championship, maybe multiple, near elite status, possibly can reach that height? Enough was said in that article and we're fine with it.

2011-january-8-18-35-12_medium.jpg

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

Can win a championship, maybe multiple, near elite status, possibly can reach that height? Enough was said in that article and we're fine with it.

2011-january-8-18-35-12_medium.jpg

That's funny, because the guy that posted it over on TATF got negged something like 25 times for posting the article.rolleyes.gif

Can you say THIN-SKINNED?

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

thats all that needs to be said about that......

he is almost as bad as T Moore.....

you guys start listening to his Garbage and you for sure will look like Morons.....

Yeah, objective looks at the Falcons or matt Ryan should be prohibited worldwide.laugh.gif

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

M Bradley has never been Objective in his life

I have read his Garbage for years, hes a hater, just like T Moore

you want objective

read LPs or S Wytchs Reports

you want Bullshyt

read Bradleys

WFW seems fine with the article. Funny how you see it as Stain Bashing while others see it as a real look at your QB.

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

I think it's a fair assessment with accurate points. Some Falcon fans call the writer out because he is bashing their QB.

I don't see it as bashing so much as pointing out what needs to be improved.

I'm still upset that Donald Penn had to protect his blindside at the probowl. That pale, buttermilk biscuit with thin hair won't do squat next year. Josh Freeman will win more games in 2011.

You've seen the most you're going to see out of the stain. Freemans best has yet to come.

Freakin' High Plains Drifter.

Wow!?!

It's been a while since I've seen a racist comment made on RC. At least you didn't call him a cracker or honkey.

JB and Buc-Man Is there anything you would care to add?

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

Wow!?!

It's been a while since I've seen a racist comment made on RC. At least you didn't call him a cracker or honkey.

Racist? Really????

I didn't get that from what he said.

I do like Donald Penn a lot! He's one of the most underrated players in the NFC South and Freeman' best IS yet to come.

Jury's still out on Stain though.

Racist? Really????

I didn't get that from what he said.

I do like Donald Penn a lot! He's one of the most underrated players in the NFC South and Freeman' best IS yet to come.

Jury's still out on Stain though.

He called Ryan a pale, buttermilk biscuit.

What if I refer to Freeman as a dark, slice of Devil's Food Cake, is that racist?

Edited by dirtydealin5858

He called Ryan a pale, buttermilk biscuit.

What if I refer to Freeman as a dark, slice of Devil's Food Cake, is that racist?

C'mon, man. Freeman is more of a Pepperidge Farm Milano Cookie. Let's not get personal here. Remember, we're all here to civilly discuss every team except the Falcons.

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

C'mon, man. Freeman is more of a Pepperidge Farm Milano Cookie. Let's not get personal here. Remember, we're all here to civilly discuss every team except the Falcons.

Poor, poor Falcons. Ya gotta feel sorry for 'em.laugh.gif

Wow!?!

LOL! Take your skirt off, Mary. How can that be racist if I'm also white? Is he not pale? Is he not flakey like a buttermilk biscuit?

Get over it, sweetie. Nothing more to see here.