Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FalconJim

Wonderlic scores

106 posts in this topic

We've been looking at A. J. Green, and here's an article on how he did on the Wonderlic Test.

Kinda disconcerting to me. What do you guys think???

I mean, I know a lot of good NFL players haven't done so well on this in the past, but this guys at the bottom. I've loved A. J. as a college player, but is he going to be able to learn an NFL playbook? Of course, it may work out we don't get him, anyway, but just saying.

GO YOU DIRTY BIRDS!!!

FalconJim

Two of the NFL's brightest future stars, LSU CB Patrick Peterson and Georgia WR A.J. Green, registered among the five lowest Wonderlic scores of the 330 participants at this year’s NFL scouting combine.

Peterson was one of four prospects who recorded a dreaded single-digit score, which NFL teams often equate with getting their name right, tying with South Carolina's Chris Culliver for the lowest mark among all defensive backs as both correctly answered only nine questions on the 12-minute, 50-question test.

Green registered the lowest score of all receivers, answering 10 questions correctly.

labradford and Falcon Fanatic like this

Makes you wonder what these guys study in college. The questions on that Wonderlic aren't that hard if it is anything like some of the sample tests floating around on the Internet. I am a college graduate but my 16 year old son would have finished in the top percentile when he took a sample Wonderlic test. What a joke. Green must have majored in basket weaving at UGA if he could do no better than he did. Just goes to show that a lot of these athletes still get a easy pass in college while other students have to prove their mettle.

Take the sample test yourself:

My link

Some people are horrible test takers. True knowledge can't be measured in a test anyway

I agree with this statement. I consider myself fairly intelligent but I'm pretty atrocious at tests. I have ADD and that coupled with the pressure of the test really messes with me. Certain positions a bad score would concern me for a football player, Safety, QB and Center among the most. Wide receiver wouldn't concern me a great deal. Cornerback might in the case of Peterson.

We've been looking at A. J. Green

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Have we? I hope he drools over his wonderlic, scores a negative 6, and soils himself, just to give us an outside chance at drafting that dude.

slamee101 likes this

Some people are horrible test takers. True knowledge can't be measured in a test anyway

rolleyes.gif

The wonderlic test is not a set of questions to determine your qualifications and likelihood for success in med or law school. This is a basic and simplistic test to determine one's aptitude (intelligence) necessary to perform common, everyday responsibilities as a human on this planet.

People that score in the low - mid 20's are of average intelligence, people that score from 15 - 20 are below average in intelligence, and people that score 15 or below are well below average intelligence. Anyone that scores 10 and below (Green, Jeff George, Vince Young) should not be allowed to drive anything with a motor!

rolleyes.gif

The wonderlic test is not a set of questions to determine your qualifications and likelihood for success in med or law school. This is a basic and simplistic test to determine one's aptitude (intelligence) necessary to perform common, everyday responsibilities as a human on this planet.

People that score in the low - mid 20's are of average intelligence, people that score from 15 - 20 are below average in intelligence, and people that score 15 or below are well below average intelligence. Anyone that scores 10 and below (Green, Jeff George, Vince Young) should not be allowed to drive anything with a motor!

But it's football not rocket surgery. Would you rather have a math wiz or an athlete covering the other guys receiver? It is quite possible to have "football smarts" without having other smarts. I wish Peterson would drop to # 9 because of this.I wouldn't complain

I don't remember many players smarter than Tim Green. I also don't remember anything he ever did on the football field.

But it's football not rocket surgery. Would you rather have a math wiz or an athlete covering the other guys receiver? It is quite possible to have "football smarts" without having other smarts. I wish Peterson would drop to # 9 because of this.I wouldn't complain

I don't remember many players smarter than Tim Green. I also don't remember anything he ever did on the football field.

I hear you...but this isn't my point. I agree there are certain positions in sports that do not "require" even average intelligence. But, given the choice as a coach or manager, if two players are close physically I will take the smarter kid every time. They are easier to coach, adapt and adjust.

I was more arguing against "the test doesn't matter" or "is not a fair determinant of intelligence" arguments. Give me a break! If Green is as dumb as a box of rocks but can be an effective NFL receiver so be it!

Lastly, this isn't the old NFL anymore. The more advanced offenses and the defenses necessary to stop them will require smarter athletes to operate and defend such.

1981falcsny likes this

Oh well what did you expect---lets hope he is careful with all the millions he will soon be getting

We've been looking at A. J. Green, and here's an article on how he did on the Wonderlic Test.

Kinda disconcerting to me. What do you guys think???

I mean, I know a lot of good NFL players haven't done so well on this in the past, but this guys at the bottom. I've loved A. J. as a college player, but is he going to be able to learn an NFL playbook? Of course, it may work out we don't get him, anyway, but just saying.

GO YOU DIRTY BIRDS!!!

FalconJim

Two of the NFL's brightest future stars, LSU CB Patrick Peterson and Georgia WR A.J. Green, registered among the five lowest Wonderlic scores of the 330 participants at this year’s NFL scouting combine.

Peterson was one of four prospects who recorded a dreaded single-digit score, which NFL teams often equate with getting their name right, tying with South Carolina's Chris Culliver for the lowest mark among all defensive backs as both correctly answered only nine questions on the 12-minute, 50-question test.

Green registered the lowest score of all receivers, answering 10 questions correctly.

i had to take the wonderlic for a job in the 90's i scored a 45. then again in 2003 and scored a 44. the test is not that hard it is a deductive logic test, and reasoning test. that is why they use it to gauge how well a player can grasp the playbook, and the coaching. a 9 is not good because many of the questions are multiple choice which is a 25% chance to guess right. in other words if half of the questions are multiple choice, and you you guess you stand to get a 6 on those questions just by the percentages. 50/2=25 then 25/4=6.25. see this would be like a wonderlic question.

anyone know what sam acho scored i really like him in the 2nd round and here hes really smart too?

When it comes to the wonderlic I really only care about the results of the QB, OL, and DB. You can be dumb as a rock at the other positions.

well u cant study for that test (actually i think u could but i doubt anyone does). u can study tape and playbooks, and he can play football from what i hear and as a WR u dont have to make that many decisions urself. I dont see this as a problem, but if we want him, hopefully other teams do see it as a problem.

Makes you wonder what these guys study in college. The questions on that Wonderlic aren't that hard if it is anything like some of the sample tests floating around on the Internet. I am a college graduate but my 16 year old son would have finished in the top percentile when he took a sample Wonderlic test. What a joke. Green must have majored in basket weaving at UGA if he could do no better than he did. Just goes to show that a lot of these athletes still get a easy pass in college while other students have to prove their mettle.

Take the sample test yourself:

My link

According to this I would have gotten a 42.5. This seems much easier than a sample wonderlic I took last year.

I will say that 18 made no sense to me. In the end though I don't feel a test like that is a measure of someone's intelligence at all.

According to this I would have gotten a 42.5. This seems much easier than a sample wonderlic I took last year.

I will say that 18 made no sense to me. In the end though I don't feel a test like that is a measure of someone's intelligence at all.

The point is if you can't make a descent score on a simple aptitude test then how did some of these guys graduate from college. Hellfire how did they even graduate from high school.

The point is if you can't make a descent score on a simple aptitude test then how did some of these guys graduate from college. Hellfire how did they even graduate from high school.

It definitely has its basic questions, but it also has questions that if you've never really been given that kind of test, etc., you'd be lost.

My thing is, I don't think that a test like that would be an indicator for someone's capacity to learn or have any real bearing on whether or not AJ is skilled at reading a defensive coverage when he sees it on the field. That's something he's studied for years...I'm sure he's pretty good at it. Figuring out which month gets the most snowfall in the Southern hemisphere...probably not.

That comment implies some of these poor results might be attributed to nerves, which is also not a good sign for scouts.

That comment implies some of these poor results might be attributed to nerves, which is also not a good sign for scouts.

True, but someone might have anxiety sitting in a desk taking a test and rise to the occassion in a 2-minute drill on the football field.

swgadirtybird likes this

When it comes to the wonderlic I really only care about the results of the QB, OL, and DB. You can be dumb as a rock at the other positions.

I would throw LB in that group too.

Green scoring a 10 on the wonderlic means absolutely nothing, roddy white scored a 4

Please tell me this isn't true! I suppose going by his twitter comments, any kind of spelling test would have been tricky for him...

I just got 45 on that WalterFootball one, doing it in my head. Needed pen & paper for 10 & 11, couldn't get my head round them!

Please tell me this isn't true! I suppose going by his twitter comments, any kind of spelling test would have been tricky for him...

I just got 45 on that WalterFootball one, doing it in my head. Needed pen & paper for 10 & 11, couldn't get my head round them!

I was wondering about the Roddy thing too. I did a google search and it looked like it was mentioned on 2 Message boards but nothing confirmed. I tend to think if he scored that low we'd have heard about it.

Brett Farve scored 22

Dan Marino scored 15

Jim Kelly scored 15

Yep if the Wonderlic really mattered then these guys should have never made an NFL team to begin with.