DE is not a big need

hate to break it to you but if theres no season this year than we won't have Tony, even though he said he was coming back I think he said if there's a lockout and it alst till some amount of tiem he will retire.

We don't need a 10 sack DE, we need a solid DE and an OLB who can come off the edge , While having a 10 sack DE next to abe would be great it's a moot point if we can't score, **** we had one of the top 10 Defenses in NFL history and guess what we went that year? 7-9. Defense wins championships, offense wins the games that gets you to those championships and IMO, we have a whole lot more needs on Offense than we do at Defense right now.

We could probably hold the D together with another good OLB, and a good nickelback. We won't be able to hold the offense together with a running back who will be 30 and a TE who will retire after this year and 1 good reciever.

People also seem to forget that Periah Jerry will be 100% again this year and that should help the pass rush tremendously, remember in hte game in '09 against the Dolphins(same one where he got hurt) I think we got a total of 3 sacks.

We don't need a 10 sack DE?

We need an OLB coming off the edge?

HUH? :blink: :unsure: :blink:

You do realize that we are a 4-3 defense, right?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't need a 10 sack DE?

We need an OLB coming off the edge?

HUH? :blink: :unsure: :blink:

You do realize that we are a 4-3 defense, right?

So what you want to continue blitzing a 5'11 185 LB Nickelback who can't wrap up the QB.

You do realize we mostly bllitz when we have a Nickelback in right

having an OLB who can come off the edge would mean our nickelback would be matched up on the guy the OLB would normally be if it was like this past season and we only blizted the NB, I'd much rather have a 6'1 240 LB outside linebacker off the edge than a 5'11 185 LB NB.

So what you want to continue blitzing a 5'11 185 LB Nickelback who can't wrap up the QB.

having an OLB who can come off the edge would mean our nickelback would be matched up on the guy the OLB would normally be if it was like this past season and we only blizted the NB, I'd much rather have a 6'1 240 LB outside linebacker off the edge than a 5'11 185 LB NB.

Your right. When we blitzed the NB I dont even think we went man that much, imo when the NB blitzed our LB's dropped into a zone, if the rush didnt get there, there were easy holes to find, I also believe QB's could read it at times and would run a route right where the hole would be and the blitz wouldnt have a chance.

as much as hope to god your right and i really do i just dont see it happening :unsure:

dont get me wrong i love the guys skills but i just dont see him making a huge impact like people say and want him too

Well his speed and spin move alone could get him imo 4 to 6 sacks a year, as TD said Sid will play this season, if he gets imo 4 sacks or more and shows improvement vs the run he will start at RDE in 2012. Dont expect a break out year next year, we've developed him for 2 years now in a limited role he will play every game and showcase he's development and get use to game speed. If he shows that improvement he will get his big shot.

2012 Sid will officially break out. You dont spend 2 years developing a guy if you dont see the improvement in practice, the coaches have seen it.

Well his speed and spin move alone could get him imo 4 to 6 sacks a year, as TD said Sid will play this season, if he gets imo 4 sacks or more and shows improvement vs the run he will start at RDE in 2012. Dont expect a break out year next year, we've developed him for 2 years now in a limited role he will play every game and showcase he's development and get use to game speed. If he shows that improvement he will get his big shot.

2012 Sid will officially break out. You dont spend 2 years developing a guy if you dont see the improvement in practice, the coaches have seen it.

I'm remaining optimistic for Sidbury too. He has the athletic talent to be a starting RDE. Just needed to get stronger, play the run way better and play every snap hard. Similar problems with Justin Houston right now.

I thought we were going after DE cause Abe said he was looking to retire soon, so they needed to find a replacement.

But I could be wrong.

Exactly. Sidbury could be that guy but I wouldn't bank on it. Even if he is, we need at least another body for competition. 2nd - 3rd round is the latest I'd want to address DE.

You DON'T realize that we had to start rushing our linebackers because our front four pass rush was so anemic......

If Falcons can get somebody coming off the other edge opposite of Abraham and Peria Jerry rounds back into the form of his promise coming out of college - that is how the defense gets fixed.

We are not a 3-4 team - the OLBs will never be the ones getting the QB on the ground. Feel free to give me some stats of the leading 4-3 OLBs in sacks......don't think you will find many....

i agree with you on this i would love it if we drafted Hankerson AND Titus young...

what are we suppose to do with all these receivers. i hear this time and time again. we have roddy, mj 12, harry douglas, kerry meir, weems. so lets add two more. i can see adding a playmaker to go with roddy and mj 12 in the slot. use douglas and meir for depth. but we dont need 2 wr's.

I'm remaining optimistic for Sidbury too. He has the athletic talent to be a starting RDE. Just needed to get stronger, play the run way better and play every snap hard. Similar problems with Justin Houston right now.

Iagree and because we already have a big time RDE like Abe still here there was no need to ever rush Sid into games.

Wow! He'll go from the inactive list to a monster in just one season!

wacko.gif

He will be a monster in 2012, people dont understand teams that build for the future. Everybody wants to win now, this team is ready to win now and with the development of players like Sid we will be contnders for years.

Some people dont understand.

He will be a monster in 2012, people dont understand teams that build for the future. Everybody wants to win now, this team is ready to win now and with the development of players like Sid we will be contnders for years.

Some people dont understand.

Sid has shown nothing to be considered a monster. Your comments on him is pure wishful thinking.

As for teams building for the future, i do agree, to an extent. This is not the 1980's where players and coaches would be with the same team for years. Why bother trying to develop a player for years only, that is IF he does finally do well, to have him go into free agency and have an opportunity to change teams. This type of thinking is obsolete. It can work, but it does RARELY. 99% of the time players do not develop OR they go to another team. Many of these teams are using an OLD adage that is not suitable to today's NFL. People are in living in the past.

hate to break it to you but if theres no season this year than we won't have Tony, even though he said he was coming back I think he said if there's a lockout and it alst till some amount of tiem he will retire.

We don't need a 10 sack DE, we need a solid DE and an OLB who can come off the edge, While having a 10 sack DE next to abe would be great it's a moot point if we can't score, **** we had one of the top 10 Defenses in NFL history and guess what we went that year? 7-9. Defense wins championships, offense wins the games that gets you to those championships and IMO, we have a whole lot more needs on Offense than we do at Defense right now.

We could probably hold the D together with another good OLB, and a good nickelback. We won't be able to hold the offense together with a running back who will be 30 and a TE who will retire after this year and 1 good reciever.

People also seem to forget that Periah Jerry will be 100% again this year and that should help the pass rush tremendously, remember in hte game in '09 against the Dolphins(same one where he got hurt) I think we got a total of 3 sacks.

2000 ravens had a worse offense then we did, but there defense is wat OGT them to the SB.... i think ur underestimating defense... that has been our problem for three years and u still want to hold off on it? i say when u see a big glare u fix it. it wasnt just the CB spot, it was the defense as a whole that still needs to be tweaked.... to be honest there was only maybe a few bright spots on defense all year long.... (brent,moore,babs,abe)

Sid has shown nothing to be considered a monster. Your comments on him is pure wishful thinking.

As for teams building for the future, i do agree, to an extent. This is not the 1980's where players and coaches would be with the same team for years. Why bother trying to develop a player for years only, that is IF he does finally do well, to have him go into free agency and have an opportunity to change teams. This type of thinking is obsolete. It can work, but it does RARELY. 99% of the time players do not develop OR they go to another team. Many of these teams are using an OLD adage that is not suitable to today's NFL. People are in living in the past.

because if u develop a player, by that 2nd to third year, even if he does well, he wont be as expensive to get back, as would someone who had a major impact leaving for free agency. its about saving money as well as getting the most out of a player.... its actually pretty smart way to operate, when it works at least....

2000 ravens had a worse offense then we did, but there defense is wat OGT them to the SB.... i think ur underestimating defense... that has been our problem for three years and u still want to hold off on it? i say when u see a big glare u fix it. it wasnt just the CB spot, it was the defense as a whole that still needs to be tweaked.... to be honest there was only maybe a few bright spots on defense all year long.... (brent,moore,babs,abe)

the 2000 ravens also had the best defense in NFL history, stop making comparisons between our Defense and the greatest Ds of all time. Adding another good de will not make us one of the greatest Ds of all time.

Oh they also had Shannon Sharpe and Jamal Lewis in their primes.

Edited by Zodiac

Falcons interviewed Allen Baily at the Senior Bowl and the combine. He has a private workout with us later this month. So I think TD is looking at the DE early in the draft

If he going after Bailey it's probably in the 3rd, as he is a HUGE project.

the 2000 ravens also had the best defense in NFL history, stop making comparisons between our Defense and the greatest Ds of all time. Adding another good de will not make us one of the greatest Ds of all time.

Especially with the hack of a defensive cordinator we have LOL.

Even if we upgrade a couple spots on D, BVG being a step behind offensive coordinators is the bigger problem. Assuming we upgrade the D via the draft and/or free agency, we'll be a slightly above average defense at best.