Best and Worst Cornerbacks of 2010

I didn't see this posted yet, so I thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention. Football Outsiders breaks down the Top 10 CBs and Worst 10 CBs of 2010, based on several different statistics. Let's talk about something besides the CBA or the Draft! :rolleyes:

Best: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/best-cornerback-charting-stats-2010

Worst: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/worst-cornerback-charting-stats-2010

As it relates to the Falcons:

Brent Grimes was #4 in yards per pass (5.0) and #5 in yards after the catch allowed (2.0), extremely impressive given the insane amount of times he was targeted (111).

Other notable "awesome" corners last season were Revis, Winfield, T. Williams, Ron Bartell, and Asante Samuel.

Two of the worst cornerbacks in success rate are on the Panthers: Chris Gamble and Richard Marshall.

Another familiar name on the worst list is DeAngelo Hall, who was the next-to-worst cornerback in the league in opponent success rate. OHe also allowed 10.5 yards per pass and 5.8 YAC per catch, third worst in the league each. Ouch! Doesn't get much worse for our former first round draft pick. I still can't believe my Redskins friends argue that he is a good player... just because he had 4 INTs against Jay Cutler doesn't make him good. :P

Edited by virginiafalcon

I didn't see this posted yet, so I thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention. Football Outsiders breaks down the Top 10 CBs and Worst 10 CBs of 2010, based on several different statistics. Let's talk about something besides the CBA or the Draft! :rolleyes:

Best: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/best-cornerback-charting-stats-2010

Worst: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/worst-cornerback-charting-stats-2010

As it relates to the Falcons:

Brent Grimes was #4 in yards per pass (5.0) and #5 in yards after the catch allowed (2.0), extremely impressive given the insane amount of times he was targeted (111).

Other notable "awesome" corners last season were Revis, Winfield, T. Williams, Ron Bartell, and Asante Samuel.

Two of the worst cornerbacks in success rate are on the Panthers: Chris Gamble and Richard Marshall.

Another familiar name on the worst list is DeAngelo Hall, who was the next-to-worst cornerback in the league in opponent success rate. OHe also allowed 10.5 yards per pass and 5.8 YAC per catch, third worst in the league each. Ouch! Doesn't get much worse for our former first round draft pick. I still can't believe my Redskins friends argue that he is a good player... just because he had 4 INTs against Jay Cutler doesn't make him good. :P

Interesting that people still want us to get Marshall despite this info...

Another familiar name on the worst list is DeAngelo Hall, who was the next-to-worst cornerback in the league in opponent success rate. OHe also allowed 10.5 yards per pass and 5.8 YAC per catch, third worst in the league each. Ouch!

And he made the Pro Bowl as a reserve. *groan*

PFF's top 10 corners from a pure coverage point of view:

1. Champ Bailey

2. Brandon Flowers

3. Joe Haden ®

4. Nnamdi Asomugha

5. Tramon Williams

6. Josh Wilson

7. Devin McCourty ®

8. Asante Samuel

9. Antoine Winfield and Brent Grimes tie

10 worst corners from a pure coverage point of view:

1. Cortland Finnegan

2. Eric Wright

3. Kareem Jackson ®

4. Asher Allen

5. Marcus Trufant

6. Jerraud Powers

7. Jacob Lacey

8. Chris Cook

9. Terrence Newman

10. Chris Owens

Richard Marshall was their 12th worst.

Is anyone else curious what DRob's numbers were.

The overall vibe I've gotten when his name comes up is that he had a solid, but unspectacular season. His performance on the field probably doesn't match up with what we're paying him, but he's still one of the Top 30-40 cornerbacks in the league. He and Grimes make a pretty excellent combo... now if only we had a quality nickel and dime back to cover Green Bay and New Orleans' OTHER receivers. :-p

PFF's top 10 corners from a pure coverage point of view:

1. Champ Bailey

2. Brandon Flowers

3. Joe Haden ®

4. Nnamdi Asomugha

5. Tramon Williams

6. Josh Wilson

7. Devin McCourty ®

8. Asante Samuel

9. Antoine Winfield and Brent Grimes tie

10 worst corners from a pure coverage point of view:

1. Cortland Finnegan

2. Eric Wright

3. Kareem Jackson ®

4. Asher Allen

5. Marcus Trufant

6. Jerraud Powers

7. Jacob Lacey

8. Chris Cook

9. Terrence Newman

10. Chris Owens

Richard Marshall was their 12th worst.

They forgot Jason Webster on the worst

Edited by ATLbeast55

I'd take D Hall over Dunta all day.

You must be a highlight reel fan. The numbers posted say otherwise. D-Rob gave up 6.7 ypa, 2.6 were yac, and opposing QB's targetted Grimes 30 more times than D-Rob. Obviously the pro's disagree with you.

If NFL QB's are throwing at Grimes 38% more often than D-Rob after the season Grimes just had, you know D-Rob must have been doing his job pretty well. NFL offenses and NFL QB's are not stupid. If Robinson was half as bad as you guys have made him out to be, he would have been thrown at a lot more often.

Too bad he's a cheap shot loud-mouth jerk. wink.gif

Cheap shot??? Come on now, thats just not true bub

Have to admit, I'm kind of suprised that Biggers and Barber were ranked high on the list but not Talib. Biggers did play his a** off in that second game against us though.

biggers is talented for such a young player, I hope he can be another talib... Wouldn't that be nice