1. Adrian Clayborn LDE

More than likely BPA and more than likely, our biggest need. He can stuff the run and rush the passer with an explosive burst matched with power.

2. Rashad Carmichael CB

Before injuries slowed him down a touch this year, did not allow 40 yards on him in his direction in his junior year. Plays off-man, will fit our scheme.

3. Jordan Todman RB

The COP RB we desperately need. Carried the ball over 300x this year and will fit in nicely in our zone blocking scheme.

4. KJ Wright OLB

Just good at everything. He can cover, stuff the run and blitz the QB. Has some of the best instincts in the class and he helps out the younger guys on the sideline. Hugely underrated.

5. Ronald Johnson WR or Lawrence Guy DT

Johnson is a receiver with great intangibles who plays hard every snap. He'll be good all game then come crunch time and he becomes near uncoverable. Guy was a player I saw for the 2009 draft and I thought he'd be a sure-fire 1st round pick. Fast forward 2 years and that didn't happen but he has excellent quickness and power which makes him an ideal candidate for the attacking 1-gap D.

6. Zane Taylor OC

I want to give Hawley some competition for Todd's job when he decides to call it a day. Taylor is technically sound (It's worth noting that this appears to be true with many Utah players) and is a pretty good all-round centre. He has good feet, strength and awareness to be a potential starter.

6. David Carter DT or Aldrick Robinson WR

Carter is in the same mold of Guy except he's raw. He's got excellent natural talent and he plays hard on the field, right until the whistle which tells me he has ideal intangibles. He'll be a developmental prospect but he's got everything he needs to work his way up into the rotation. Good talent, good intangibles and a good DLine coach. Robinson is a very fast and quick WR with good hands and is a great route runner who is also a homerun threat whenever he touches the ball.

7. Dom Decicco S

Bit of a sleeper. Has really good production and has nice size too. Checking his physical stats, you'd think he's more of a running stuffing SS but he has some pretty good coverage skills meaning he's not totally 1 dimensional. Check him out, you'll be impressed.

7. Adam Grant OL

Developmental guy. From what I seen, he looks like a good pass blocker and has nice size for the position.

If FA doesn't happen, this will probably be my final mock. I'll spice it up a bit as we get closer to the draft with some pretty pictures and a proper breakdown on each pick, similar to my bigass mock I did last year ()

that was quick!

with the advent of FA, I think he could. DE is a bigger need and after the 1st round, the WR talent is so-so. i don't think there's good value to get in the 2nd round so i waited until the 5th. johnson represents excellent value, imo. he has better intangibles than a lot of the receivers in the draft and has desirable natural talent.

Why would you take a defensive tackle at all? I do like the first pick.

To get a good rotation going. There's no guarantee that Jerry won't get injured again (he's playing with too much weight) and Peters didn't do anything good in his rookie year that'd suggest we can plug him in as a full-time starter. Babs will be 30 when the season starts so having a developmental prospect would be a good addition, imo. Lewis is rubbish. Walker is decent, a good backup for the rotation.

not bad but I really hope we get Devine as our Change of Pace back

True that Devine could be had much later on but I like Todman's durability and starter potential more than Devine's. And I don't think he has any character concerns either.

Edited by Rai

I like Clayborn, but can't see us coming out of this draft without going for an impact WR and/or TE.

yeah, people over the NFL Draft and FA board said the same thing too. I could trade down my 2nd for the Texans' 3rd and 4th. Carmichael should still be available so select him and with the 4th, select someone like Kendricks. Or there's the option of going with mainly a pass-catching TE in Housler (questionable hands though) or could go with Virgil Green. I haven't really seen much of this TE class. Just know that Rudolph looks like a clear #1 to me.

Rai,

those first four picks are solid as heck....I like it.

I'm starting to revisit Adrian Clayborn. He's got a few redflags - think he beat up a cabdriver, disappointing senior year compared to junior year, and has the weaker arm.

The main reason i wrote him off was I thought he was more of a 3-4 type of Defensive End. However, of all the big guys - and Clayborn is big - I think he has the most explosion - so while I don't think Clayborn is the "perfect fit" for the Falcons, I think he could be a good fit.

6'3"

281lbs

4.83/40

BIGGEST problem with him is he does not have a good burst to be a 10+ sack/yr guy.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81eb2e81/2011-combine-workout-Adrian-Clayborn

Edited by g-dawg
  • 1 month later...

Just bumping this. I wont be able to do the explanations like I said thanks to my computer which broke. However, just felt like doing a mock incare clayborn was gone. Involves a trade-down.

2. Kyle rudolph

Future number 1 te that can give matt a pair of good reliable hands and help block the outside for huge runs. Up there with one of the best tight end prospects in a while.

2. Sam acho

A very underrated balanced end that can play either side of the line. I actally like him the best out of the next tier with reed houston and sheard etc.

3. Jordan todman

The more I see the more I love. At times, reminds me of our very own michael turner except much faster and explosive. He's durable and I feel he can be a full time back in the nfl and be able to carry 20x a game if needed giving us someone who is a homerun threat and can get the tough yards.

4. Kj wright olb

Severely underrated in my eyes. He can cover, rush the passer and stuff the run very well and he has excellent intangibles, frequently seen on the sidelines talking to the younger guys and teaching them as the game goes on. I'd be shocked if he isn't one of the better linebackers in the game.

4. Johnny white rb

Also underrated again. He could definitely be the best do it all back in this draft. Would be our change of pace before forming a tandem with todman. Can be sent on a route and catch the ball like a wide receiver and pickup the blitz as well as any other. Exactly what we need right now.

5. Brandon hogan db

If we can put aside the character issues, he's one of the best options for nickel. Very physical and loves that side of the game and is a good tackler. He can also cover pretty well too. If he is not an option, I would select gaitor.

6. Aldrick robinson wr

Very fast and quick and put up monster numbers. A true homerun threat who is also a pretty good route runner and displays nice hands.

7. Zane taylor oc

Developmental prospect that looks pretty good from what i've seen. Will give good competition for the future centre spot in case they decide to put hawley at guard instead he taylor performs well in camp.

7. Dom decicco ss

Had good numbers in his senior year and is built like a linebacker but dont be fooled, he can cover too.

7. Adam grant ot

Pure development prospect that to me is either left tackle or bust.

And that's it. Sorry for and typos, just not used to this phone so much :-P

Rai,

those first four picks are solid as heck....I like it.

I'm starting to revisit Adrian Clayborn. He's got a few redflags - think he beat up a cabdriver, disappointing senior year compared to junior year, and has the weaker arm.

The main reason i wrote him off was I thought he was more of a 3-4 type of Defensive End. However, of all the big guys - and Clayborn is big - I think he has the most explosion - so while I don't think Clayborn is the "perfect fit" for the Falcons, I think he could be a good fit.

6'3"

281lbs

4.83/40

BIGGEST problem with him is he does not have a good burst to be a 10+ sack/yr guy.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81eb2e81/2011-combine-workout-Adrian-Clayborn

I think he can be an 8 sack guy that plays tons of snaps and locks down the LDE position for us.

Yeah yeah he has the Erb's palsy, I do not think that will stop him from playing the left side.

He's my vote for #1.