Snelling gets a 2nd round tender

Snelling had a great finish to 2009 and a solid start to 2010, but his play in the last 3/4 of the season won't likely convince anyone to part with a 2nd rounder, especially not with so many RB's in the mid rounds of the 2011 draft.

Even so, I don't think TD or Smitty wants to part ways with Snelling, thus the second round tender. Personally, I'd hate to let him go, period. He's the most dependable RB we have on the roster right now, speaking health-wise, of course.

I think the FO has it right.

He is good, but not as good as a 2nd round RB could be.

IF we keep him, great...the tender doesn't pay much. If not, we got GREAT value for him.

A guy like Hunter or Murray could easily fill the #2 RB role. Not to mention take over the reigns in a year or so. I like Snelling, but think he really is a #2, and wont be as effective as a starter, carrying a big load.

I think the FO has it right.

He is good, but not as good as a 2nd round RB could be.

IF we keep him, great...the tender doesn't pay much. If not, we got GREAT value for him.

A guy like Hunter or Murray could easily fill the #2 RB role. Not to mention take over the reigns in a year or so. I like Snelling, but think he really is a #2, and wont be as effective as a starter, carrying a big load.

I'm wondering if SD thought the same about Turner when he was the backup to LT...?

I do not completely understand tagging, can you clarify something

I know that if Atl puts a 2nd round tag on him and someone else signs him then they have to give Atl a 2nd round pick (not sure about the year) as compensation.

But here is my question, If no one signs him what kind of contract does Atl have to offer him.

I would think there is some value above player minimum required but I do not know.

But to be fair to Snelling it would have to be. Do you know how that works.

I do not completely understand tagging, can you clarify something

I know that if Atl puts a 2nd round tag on him and someone else signs him then they have to give Atl a 2nd round pick (not sure about the year) as compensation.

But here is my question, If no one signs him what kind of contract does Atl have to offer him.

I would think there is some value above player minimum required but I do not know.

But to be fair to Snelling it would have to be. Do you know how that works.

Snelling can sign the tender and get a $1.91 million salary. The team could also rescind the tender and allow Snelling to be a UFA. If another team signed Snelling, Atlanta has the right to match the offer, or accept a 2nd round pick as compensation.

Snelling had a great finish to 2009 and a solid start to 2010, but his play in the last 3/4 of the season won't likely convince anyone to part with a 2nd rounder, especially not with so many RB's in the mid rounds of the 2011 draft.

agree w/ musk.....if somebody offered me as little as a 3rd round pick for Snelling, I would drive him to the airport :rolleyes:

Edited by g-dawg

I thought yall liked Snelling....LOL!!

I like Snelling, I really do. I just think he is a solid player and a good back-up. I don't think Snelling is a special player but he's a great back-up. I just think to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Snelling - that Thomas Dimitroff could make the team better with the pick than by retaining Snelling.

I can't believe the Madden NCAA 2012 boys on this board that want to get rid of a proven commodity just to get a college boy that maps into one of their 27 NCAA college mocks. Unbelievable. Many even want to ship Turner off. Jeez.

Agree. For some people on these boards, the grass is always greener...and the new shiny toys always look better when they're on the shelf and in the box. Problem with new toys is that they sometimes don't stand up to the rigors of play: just look at Jerious Norwood, a guy that I really like, but who will never live up to his 'potential' because he's unable to stay on the field (healthy) long enough to make a dependable impact.

People get psyched about mock drafts, the combine, and get excited about the 'potential' of kids who have never played a single NFL down...it's easy to get caught up in the hype during the off-season, but here's the reality: There is a lot to be said for having guys with demonstrated NFL ability and both Turner and Snelling have proven themselves to be both capable AND that they still have the talent and desire.

The way I understand RFA and the tenders this year is that they are being used as a contingency plan in case of a extension of the current year's deal where players become UFAs after six years of service. Basically teams are tagging players that normally wouldn't be able to be tagged because they are still operating under the uncapped year rules. As soon as a new CBA is signed the the period for UFA will most likely revert back to four years nullifying all tags except for the Franchise tag (if that is also included in the new CBA. There is talk that the franchise tag could also go away making the players tagged UFAs.) No one would give up a 2nd for Snelling anyways, but it does signify that the Falcons are interested in keeping him.

I like Snelling, I really do. I just think he is a solid player and a good back-up. I don't think Snelling is a special player but he's a great back-up. I just think to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Snelling - that Thomas Dimitroff could make the team better with the pick than by retaining Snelling.

I like Snelling and would like to see them keep him at least during the 2011 season.

Turner

Snelling

Norwood (??will he get hurt again)

A. Smith nothing

G. Johnson has not shown much

Getting rid of Snelling now might destroy the RB group

Any new draftee is an unknown , would have to get a very good FA vet to replace Snelling

wouldn't that be like replacing Snelling with a clone.

Edited by delaigle

I'm wondering if SD thought the same about Turner when he was the backup to LT...?

Snelling doesn't have the running power OR speed that Turner showed in SD. I am pretty sure that is the difference.

Snelling reminds me of Justin Griffith, but with MUCH MUCH better hands. (not fumbling)

Teams were offering a1st for Turner and getting turned down when he was RFA. this is Snelling's 2nd year under RFA now and nobody has even offered the 2nd he was tendered.

I am a big Snelling fan, see sig, but I call it as I see it.

Snelling can sign the tender and get a $1.91 million salary. The team could also rescind the tender and allow Snelling to be a UFA. If another team signed Snelling, Atlanta has the right to match the offer, or accept a 2nd round pick as compensation.

I don't fully understand the tagging method either. I take it that 1.9 million deal is for one season?

It does not seem that many teams would offer over 2mil for Snelling and if they do we get a 2nd rd pick and the other team overpays for a solid bkup. It seems more like an effort to keep Snelling or catch a sucker. Snelling is 27, so who is going to pony up enough money to pay him like a starter or give multiple years? I hope Snelling stays because he is good insurance if MT were to go down. I set the bar at 2.5mil for ATL to match because he has a lot of value to us, but anymore take the pick.