2011 players the Falcons have shown interest in

We haven't met with him yet but we won't know who will be at his workout till it happens.

I'm guessing we will be there as it did say 26 teams were attending.

While we are on the subject of explosive players I and who we have already talked to I think Edmund Gates is the WR we should target in this draft.I did'nt realise it but he ran a 4.35 while carrying a groin injury man thats unreal and I think with Robieske coaching up this guy I think he has draft gem written all over him for me he's a 3rd round prospect.Also he is endorsed by Mayock aswell so he's my favourite WR in this draft at this point.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know if we are working out Taiwan Jones or have any interest in this guy.

I see he has his workout on the 14th April out in California and I'm wondering if the Falcons will have any scouts at his workout.

I also see Mayock has him really highly rated as a late round gem also.

Formal interview

Check first page updated with links to sources and video of most prospects. Thank everyone for there contributions.

03/26/11 - Miami Pro day: Wide receiver Leonard Hankerson was characterized as "up and down" while running routes and catching passes. "He's a bit stiff as a route-runner and isn't as fast as he timed at Indy," the scout said. Hankerson, according to the scout, also "dropped a few" passes - a problem the Miami receiver had struggled with throughout his career and the week of practice at the Senior Bowl. Hankerson is currently the fourth rated receiver of the 2011 draft by NFLDraftScout.com. Among the teams the scout said were represented at the workout were the Atlanta Falcons, Arizona Cardinals, Baltimore Ravens, Chicago Bears, Denver Broncos, Green Bay Packers, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs, Miami Dolphins, New York Giants, New York Jets, New England Patriots, Oakland Raiders, Pittsburgh Steelers, San Diego Chargers, Seattle Seahawks, St. Louis Rams, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Tennessee Titans. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

He isn't as fast as he timed at the Combine, he didn't run great routes against air at his pro day, and he has inconsistent hands -- so basically he is actually a slightly slower version of Michael Jenkins or the same (Jenkins ran a 4.40 40), and Jenkins was a late 1st round pick too. Hankerson isn't the answer. At this point, if we don't trade up for Green or Jones, I'd rather zero in on a DE and take a speedy guy with upside -- Jernigan, Gates, Moore, Lockette -- later in the draft.

He isn't as fast as he timed at the Combine, he didn't run great routes against air at his pro day, and he has inconsistent hands -- so basically he is actually a slightly slower version of Michael Jenkins or the same (Jenkins ran a 4.40 40), and Jenkins was a late 1st round pick too. Hankerson isn't the answer. At this point, if we don't trade up for Green or Jones, I'd rather zero in on a DE and take a speedy guy with upside -- Jernigan, Gates, Moore, Lockette -- later in the draft.

I think trading down and taking Titus Young might be in the plans. But I agree with you. The late 1st round guys just have issues.....

I'm guessing we will be there as it did say 26 teams were attending.

While we are on the subject of explosive players I and who we have already talked to I think Edmund Gates is the WR we should target in this draft.I did'nt realise it but he ran a 4.35 while carrying a groin injury man thats unreal and I think with Robieske coaching up this guy I think he has draft gem written all over him for me he's a 3rd round prospect.Also he is endorsed by Mayock aswell so he's my favourite WR in this draft at this point.

only problem is he is 25

What about just signing a free agent WR? Sims-Walker might not be a bad choice.

The best teams are the ones that build through the draft once they have the main pieces in place -- Steelers, Packers, Colts, Pats.

We need good young talent so that we have a very good team that only gets better for the next decade. Not constant turnover every 4 years with free agent. We brought in Turner, Gonzalez, and Dunta. If we bring in a free agent I'd only want an OL or a defender. We need a young WR to grow with Matt Ryan. Roddy White is almost 30 already. When he starts to hit his decline, we need someone already on the team who can become that go-to #1 guy and stay that way.

See: Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison to Reggie.

See: Aaron Rodgers, Donald Driver to Greg Jennings.

See: Ben Roethlisberger, Santonio Holmes to Mike Wallace.

Sims-Walker would be good for the next 3 years, but then he too is 30. It makes more sense to spend our FA money on a DE or an OT like Doug Free or Jared Gaither.

How is Hank not the answer based of of that? That was one scout, wouldn't surprise me if that was from Charlie Casserly or however you say. The fact Hank will go make a play on the ball gives him an advantage over JenksTD has done the homework, he knew what he liked and disliked about Hank before the pro day.

I understand you may not think he's the answer, but weve had an eye on Hank, Smith, and Baldwin so lets not over analyze a pro day. Jenks doesnt play to his speed and there are certain things Hank can do that Jenks cant.

The best teams are the ones that build through the draft once they have the main pieces in place -- Steelers, Packers, Colts, Pats.

We need good young talent so that we have a very good team that only gets better for the next decade. Not constant turnover every 4 years with free agent. We brought in Turner, Gonzalez, and Dunta. If we bring in a free agent I'd only want an OL or a defender. We need a young WR to grow with Matt Ryan. Roddy White is almost 30 already. When he starts to hit his decline, we need someone already on the team who can become that go-to #1 guy and stay that way.

See: Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison to Reggie.

See: Aaron Rodgers, Donald Driver to Greg Jennings.

See: Ben Roethlisberger, Santonio Holmes to Mike Wallace.

Sims-Walker would be good for the next 3 years, but then he too is 30. It makes more sense to spend our FA money on a DE or an OT like Doug Free or Jared Gaither.

For the sake of this debate, a guy like Sims-Walker would give us three seasons. In the mean time, a late rounder, like Gate or another speedster, will be ready to step in.

only problem is he is 25

Yep JBO has already reminded me of this but I have been on Gates for quite awhile now and have looked passed his age and I think a the begining of this thread the Falcons have also been keeping an eye on this guy also for quiet awhile,as with age comes maturity and I look at all his intangibles and throw in Robieske's coaching to knock the rough edges off this guys route running and you could quite possibly have a star in the making here with Gates.

For the sake of this debate, a guy like Sims-Walker would give us three seasons. In the mean time, a late rounder, like Gate or another speedster, will be ready to step in.

Not the point at all. Gates would not come right in and become Mike Wallace or a Johnny Knox from Day One.

But there's a reason not every team lines up at the feet of every good free agent. You draft WRs to grow with a young QB. The Bucs didn't bring in a vet WR but drafted Benn, Mike Williams, and Sammie Stroughter, and that's worked out wonderfully for them to go along with Josh Freeman.

Gates from Day 1 can bring a deep threat that blows the top off of the defense and keeps them honest. By Year 2 you'd like to think he'd be a more steady WR, probably our #2 WR. And by Year 3, like Roddy progression, he'd become a true playmaker. I'd rather us draft a WR and let him grow up with Ryan while they build a chemistry, than sign a free agent who is me-first and not help the long-term success of Matt Ryan and this team.

Also, I was saying I'd rather use our free agent money at a different position, if only for the reason that I think drafting WRs is better for the offense and development of Matt Ryan. Spending free agent money on: Ray Edwards, Charles Johnson, Mathias Kiwanuka, Tommie Harris, Brandon Mebane, Richard Marshall, Nnamdi Asomugha, Jonathan Joseph, Quintin Mikell, Eric Weddle, Dashon Goldson, Doug Free, Jared Gaither, Carl Nicks, Davin Joseph, Cullen Jenkins, and James Anderson are all better signings for the team than Mike Sims-Walker.

Falcons | Have shown interest in Brandon Harris

Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:22:22 -0700

The Atlanta Falcons have expressed interest in University of Miami CB Brandon Harris, according to Omar Kelly, of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

That's interesting.

Not the point at all. Gates would not come right in and become Mike Wallace or a Johnny Knox from Day One.

But there's a reason not every team lines up at the feet of every good free agent. You draft WRs to grow with a young QB. The Bucs didn't bring in a vet WR but drafted Benn, Mike Williams, and Sammie Stroughter, and that's worked out wonderfully for them to go along with Josh Freeman.

Gates from Day 1 can bring a deep threat that blows the top off of the defense and keeps them honest. By Year 2 you'd like to think he'd be a more steady WR, probably our #2 WR. And by Year 3, like Roddy progression, he'd become a true playmaker. I'd rather us draft a WR and let him grow up with Ryan while they build a chemistry, than sign a free agent who is me-first and not help the long-term success of Matt Ryan and this team.

Also, I was saying I'd rather use our free agent money at a different position, if only for the reason that I think drafting WRs is better for the offense and development of Matt Ryan. Spending free agent money on: Ray Edwards, Charles Johnson, Mathias Kiwanuka, Tommie Harris, Brandon Mebane, Richard Marshall, Nnamdi Asomugha, Jonathan Joseph, Quintin Mikell, Eric Weddle, Dashon Goldson, Doug Free, Jared Gaither, Carl Nicks, Davin Joseph, Cullen Jenkins, and James Anderson are all better signings for the team than Mike Sims-Walker.

Your assesment for how Gates would work with us is exactly how I am looking at this WR situation and I to think our FA money could be spent else where.In fact I'm completely sold on Gates as the WR we should target come draft time and if we got him in the late 2nd I really don't think its that much of a reach considering he blew up at his pro-day and 4.37 with a groin injury please,I don't say this much but go get him TD.

I’m told that Harris was the guy who impressed the most at UM’s Pro Day on Friday.

Harris is rated as one of the 2011 draft’s top five cornerbacks, and teams like the Steelers, Patriots and the Falcons have expressed plenty of interest in this three-year starter, who possesses quick feet and plays with above average game speed.

The concern about Harris, who is 5-foot-10, is whether he has the size to match up against the Brandon Marshalls of the NFL, or will he have to play the nickel to get on the field?

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2011/03/miami-hurricanes-1st-round-drought-ends-in-2011.html#more-12151

That's what we need.

Why is Harris dropping? Because Mayock said so? lol I think guy is a legit 1st round talent and can develop into a great CB. If he's there at #27 I'll go nuts if we draft him.

I think he is a NB with potential to be a #2 if he develop... I think he still have nightmares about how Floyd gave is to him with no mercy..lol..

He is not a 1st round pick... Atleast to me..

He is a 5'9 CB that plays hard... I TD will like the fact that he will tackle.... Butill never take a 5'9 CB in the 1st round

He is probably a 2nd rounder because of his height, but he is a flat out player.

I am beginning to think the best move we can make is to trade back. It is a lot of question marks with whoever we would take at 27.

in my mock im dropping i have a trade back but i think we will either trade up (for a DE) or trade back.... If we cant get a DE at 27.... We have to improve our team Jets style (have good CB's) and hope FA happen so we can get our DE.

Archived