Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Polar Bear Jones

2011 players the Falcons have shown interest in

444 posts in this topic

oh so basically you have no reasons like i figured

allen bailey is this years vernon gholston. i hated gholston the year he came out, and i'm sure you loved him hook line and sinker. bailey looks awful in clips missing far too many tackles which is a pet peave for me. i dont want DL that cant tackle exceptionally well, and i dont want WR's that dont catch the ball exceptionally well which brings me to titus young. he is far too inconsistant and when you factor in the fact that he ran a pedetrian 40 and is not the explosive player you guys are clamoring for anyway, of coarse i dont like a skrawny weak slow no catching sad excuse for a WR and sure bust. divine is tiny cute, but he is not going to do squat in the NFL. at 5-8, 179, i do not expect him to even last the 4 years that most NFL RB's avg, and he does not have the WR skills that mcluster offered and he ran 18 times for 71 yds and zero TDs. i like RB's 5-10, 210 to 5-11, 225. up to 235 pds is ok. a 5-8 or 5-9 RB is ok but he has to be atleast 195-200 pds. and he has to be able to run between the tackles well for his size. i love shane vereen. i hate divine. i have a reason for every player i like or dislike. the bottom line is, you better come away with 9 guys that you really like in the draft. dont settle for anything, especially based on need. thats why we wound up with ja98 who i had crossed off my list.

Polar Bear Jones likes this

Who do you want in the 1st?

ryan kerrigan, muhammed wilkerson, or kyle rudolph, and that was before today listing of the top 100 with those 3 guys slated between 24 and 30.

Green impresses Falcons

Tight ends coach Chris Scelfo and scout Bob Kronenberg helped to work out the tight ends and were impressed with Nevada's Virgil Green.

Green, who is 6-3 and 249 pounds, dazzled with his athleticism.

He had a vertical jump of 42-1/2 inches and a broad jump of 10 feet, 10 inches, which were tops of the tight end group

The Falcons plan to re-evaluate film on Green, who was a projected third- or fourth-round pick.

i like virgil green in rd 4.

Might be the greatest highlights of one player i have ever seen. I think i said wow and holy sheet a 100 times. Anyone know this kids forty time? Whatever it is im sure it doesnt match his game speed. Gonna have to do some research on this kid but would def not mine seeing him in falcon red

allen bailey is this years vernon gholston. i hated gholston the year he came out, and i'm sure you loved him hook line and sinker. bailey looks awful in clips missing far too many tackles which is a pet peave for me. i dont want DL that cant tackle exceptionally well, and i dont want WR's that dont catch the ball exceptionally well which brings me to titus young. he is far too inconsistant and when you factor in the fact that he ran a pedetrian 40 and is not the explosive player you guys are clamoring for anyway, of coarse i dont like a skrawny weak slow no catching sad excuse for a WR and sure bust. divine is tiny cute, but he is not going to do squat in the NFL. at 5-8, 179, i do not expect him to even last the 4 years that most NFL RB's avg, and he does not have the WR skills that mcluster offered and he ran 18 times for 71 yds and zero TDs. i like RB's 5-10, 210 to 5-11, 225. up to 235 pds is ok. a 5-8 or 5-9 RB is ok but he has to be atleast 195-200 pds. and he has to be able to run between the tackles well for his size. i love shane vereen. i hate divine. i have a reason for every player i like or dislike. the bottom line is, you better come away with 9 guys that you really like in the draft. dont settle for anything, especially based on need. thats why we wound up with ja98 who i had crossed off my list.

actually no I didn't nice assumption. *rolls eyes*

try watching some actual games and not clips.

do you know anything about Titus Young? He has great hands. Sure they aren't elite but they're pretty good. Pedestrian 40 time? He ran a 4.4 how in the world is that pedestrian? His official time was a 4.53 because someone screwed up. In addition, there is a huge difference between timed speed and game speed. If you don't know that idk what to say. Titus is an explosive WR who will be a great player.

Do you realize Devine caught 34 passes last season. If you think he can't catch you're dead wrong. Mccluster played WR more than RB because the Chiefs didn't have good WR's.

Might be the greatest highlights of one player i have ever seen. I think i said wow and holy sheet a 100 times. Anyone know this kids forty time? Whatever it is im sure it doesnt match his game speed. Gonna have to do some research on this kid but would def not mine seeing him in falcon red

I've heard some good things about him over the past couple of months. I watched that "bowl game" on their red field and he looked INCREDIBLE. Watching those highlights actually reminds me a lot of watching Chris Johnson when he was playing for ECU... Hopefully we'll do our due diligence on this kid and consider drafting him in the later rounds (I think he's currently projected as a 6th rounder?).

Also, I like that we are looking at the quarterbacks in this class. Redman won't be around forever and I don't think JPW is a legitimate backup in this league. Taking a shot on a kid like Kaepernick or Devlin in the 4th round (a la Schaub) could be a good use of a pick assuming we make sure to meet other needs first.

We had scouts at Troy's proday. Main player was Jerrel Jernigan but Mario Addison and Christian Anthony we're players that also worked out that we might have taken a look at. We also had scouts at Baylor's proday.

Oklahoma State pro day

The team represented included Atlanta Falcons, Baltimore Ravens, Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Green Bay Packers, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts,

Also one of our scouts talked to Kendall Hunter

virginiafalcon likes this

Yeah Taiwan Jones dominated this year, albeit at a lower level of competition.

1700 yards and 14 TD's

3rd,4th and 5th round WR and RB who I really like as mentioned above is Edmond Gates and as you mentioned Taiwan Jones both small school prospects with as mentioned game breaking speed have'nt seen much of Jones bar that clip but Gates at the combine had a real solid workout and has great strong hands and the 4.3 speed so I liike the above prospects alot.

from Scout.com coverage of OSU Proday

Robert Allen

Kendall Hunter, Running Back

Height: 5-7.4

Weight: 200

Vertical: NA

Broad Jump: NA

Bench Press: NA

40 Time: 4.49, 4.52, 4.53, 4.54, 4.58

Observations: This was all about the forty time for Hunter, who was, if nothing else, consistent. Hunter also partipated in the running back drills again and showed those great quick feet and almost came out of his shoes on one cut when former NFL star Alonzo Highsmith was conducting the drill. Hunter also caught passes and fielded punts and kickoffs.

Get This: Inside, while waiting on the jumps and bench press, Hunter spent a lot of time talking to one scout from the Atlanta Falcons.

i dont know much about edmund gates and ricardo lockette are they good as recievers ? not only speed?

TD likes to take a some swings at small school talent. Their speed is needed since we plasy at least 10 games a year in a Dome on turf.

I don't know how may of us on the board watched any Fort Valley State or Abilene Christian games. I am intrigued by these small school guys though.

I would not be suprised if he takes 2 WRs this year. 1 big guy and 1 smaller speed guy. There is alot of good WR talent in the mid rounds this year. With this being a passing league, more now then ever before, those WRs will be flying off the board.

I really like Gurley and Tolliver as big WRs......mainly b/c I'm most familiar with SEC players.......having seen each play in at least 5 games last year. Gurley is a beast and was the most productive reciever in the SEC last year (over both Green and Jones).

We was at Ricardo Lockette proday today.... He did 22 reps was 225lbs.

Gil Brandt thinks Lockette could be a steal

Brandt: Lockette could be a steal

NFL.com Staff

By NFL.com Staff |

It seemed like an unfair question. Someone asked NFL.com analyst Gil Brandt during a live chat Monday afternoon what player at the NFL Scouting Combine might be the biggest steal of the later rounds in April’s draft.

Rather than sidestep the question, however, Brandt had a ready response: Ricardo Lockette, WR, Fort Valley State

“He opened a lot of eyes here,” Brandt said of Lockette, who ran a 4.37-second 40-yard dash — tied for the second-fastest at this year’s combine.

Brandt noted that Lockette’s 10-yard split also was very impressive, perhaps enough to overcome some inconsistency in catching the ball.

“Problem is that he’ll make a great catch and then drop one,” Brandt said. “But you can’t coach speed and explosion.”

Brandt went so far as to compare Lockette to another receiver who wasn’t highly regarded before opening some eyes at the combine: Austin Collie. now of the Colts. Collie, a fourth-round pick, might be considered a steal given what he has done in two NFL seasons.

We was at Ricardo Lockette proday today.... He did 22 reps was 225lbs.

Gil Brandt thinks Lockette could be a steal

I do like some of these smaller school prospects, and Lockette is very intriguing, but I would be a bit hesitant about drafting him or Taiwan Jones. Lockette is probably much safe though, I will admit and he has great potential and could end up becoming a big name in this league if he could get some better coaching on his receiving abilities; However, Taiwan Jones is a bit scary to me. He is freakishly small for his size and while he appears to have good vision, I'm not sold that he has any good moves outside of being pretty fast. He could definitely be a nice change-up option, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up running a high 4.4 or a 4.5 even. It's so hard to tell how his speed matches up with FBS speed, but however fast he is, his role will be that of a scat back.

I do like some of these smaller school prospects, and Lockette is very intriguing, but I would be a bit hesitant about drafting him or Taiwan Jones. Lockette is probably much safe though, I will admit and he has great potential and could end up becoming a big name in this league if he could get some better coaching on his receiving abilities; However, Taiwan Jones is a bit scary to me. He is freakishly small for his size and while he appears to have good vision, I'm not sold that he has any good moves outside of being pretty fast. He could definitely be a nice change-up option, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up running a high 4.4 or a 4.5 even. It's so hard to tell how his speed matches up with FBS speed, but however fast he is, his role will be that of a scat back.

6'0 195 is good size for a speed back, which is what we need. We have Turner and Snelling to run between the tackles.

6'0 195 is good size for a speed back, which is what we need. We have Turner and Snelling to run between the tackles.

He played at around 175lbs., he's in the 190's now, but I'm really curious how that will impact his speed on the field and most likely he'll be back to around the 170's when he gets back to playing again anyways. I'm sure a pro-diet and regiment will help him get his weight up, but guys like him and Noel Devine who magically put on 20lbs. in a matter of weeks definitely aren't going to be keeping that weight when it comes time to start running plays for teams.

Just throwing this out there, but lets say we resign Norwood, and take an RB early, Does anyone think we might trade Snelling for a top 10 3rd rd pick?

Just wondering because if we dont resign Nic but we do resign Pete for a year maybe we go: Rd 1. Hankerson, Rd 2. Hunter, (trade Snelling for a 3rd) Rd 3. Mason Foster or TE, Rd 3 Foster or TE or Gilbert.

I just think if we go RB like Hunter rd 2 we will trade Snelling because of his value and if we go RB that early I cant see the guy being 3rd on the depth chart.

Just throwing this out there, but lets say we resign Norwood, and take an RB early, Does anyone think we might trade Snelling for a top 10 3rd rd pick?

Just wondering because if we dont resign Nic but we do resign Pete for a year maybe we go: Rd 1. Hankerson, Rd 2. Hunter, (trade Snelling for a 3rd) Rd 3. Mason Foster or TE, Rd 3 Foster or TE or Gilbert.

I just think if we go RB like Hunter rd 2 we will trade Snelling because of his value and if we go RB that early I cant see the guy being 3rd on the depth chart.

Snelling is not worth a 3rd round pick. Think about it. Would you give up a 3rd round pick for a backup RB?

Snelling is not worth a 3rd round pick. Think about it. Would you give up a 3rd round pick for a backup RB?

Alot of teams would consider Snelling a starter.

Alot of teams would consider Snelling a starter.

Unfortunately not. He averaged only 3.7 YPC last year and his career best is only 4.3. He is a solid backup RB, but nothing more. If he was anything more, we would be hearing his name a little more as he is heading for FA.

In such a good RB class, I don't think any team would be willing to give up a fairly early pick for a guy who just doesn't have starter qualities.

The thing is we will be spending either our 2nd or 3rd on a backup RB, teams that want a guy to catch the ball for now atleast will get a bonus from Snelling because he can run inside. A couple of teams including the Falcons will be spending a 2nd or 3rd on a RB, a guy like Snelling imo has the value this year.

Unfortunately not. He averaged only 3.7 YPC last year and his career best is only 4.3. He is a solid backup RB, but nothing more. If he was anything more, we would be hearing his name a little more as he is heading for FA.

In such a good RB class, I don't think any team would be willing to give up a fairly early pick for a guy who just doesn't have starter qualities.

I think Snelling can be a starter with a team with a pure speed back to compliment him, I dont know the Chiefs needs but you could pair Snelling with a guy like Charles in KC and be set at RB for a while.

virginiafalcon likes this

I really do see us bringing back Norwood also... The risk reward value is slanted to much of the reward side... He will get a 1 year deal at the minimum ... I think we will atleast bring him to TC

I think Falcon fans have Snelling valued way to high... If Marshawn Lynch was traded for a 4th round pick... Snelling may could get us a 6th or 7th round maybe.... Maybe not even that... He is a good player but you can find big backs like him in the mid-late round in the draft