Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Polar Bear Jones

2011 players the Falcons have shown interest in

444 posts in this topic

Just so this can end

I was talking about as 1st round prospects

it is not that serious... I said he was a 2nd round pick to me then... Before Mayock.... My opinion.

Im not going to look for my i wouldnt draft a short CB in the 1st round thread.

That's the post i was referring too. You based your opinion on him and called him a 2nd rounder cuz he got "beat" by Floyd which doesn't make sense to me since that is false. But I'm always gonna call anyone out when i see them saying "I've been saying this all along" unless they actually have. Stuff pisses me off when people are saying that to sound smart. Yea im an *** hole like that, deal with it.

Polar Bear Jones likes this

And finally, comparing Aldon Smith to Jason Pierre Paul is such bullsh**. I mean before I had ever seen him play I just assumed Aldon Smith was an athlete with no technique too, but that is just not reality. Pierre Paul was a freak athlete with great edge speed but he was extremely raw. Aldon Smith is not raw, he is quite advanced technique-wise for a redshirt sophomore. I was incredibly surprised to see that when I finally scouted him instead of seeing him live. He is very sound technique-wise for how young he is, much better than Bowers in fact, and that is why I also have him very high on my big board. But that comparison, along with the Bowers to Peppers comparison, is just completely ignorant in my opinion. I think that says a lot about how little Walter actually watches of prospects.

I dont think Aldon is as raw are some think also... Ofcourse he is a underclass so there will be some natural adjustments needed... But i think he is ahead of schedule then JPP was... The guy have a year of production against highly rated tackles.

That's the post i was referring too. You based your opinion on him and called him a 2nd rounder cuz he got "beat" by Floyd which doesn't make sense to me since that is false. But I'm always gonna call anyone out when i see them saying "I've been saying this all along" unless they actually have. Stuff pisses me off when people are saying that to sound smart. Yea im an *** hole like that, deal with it.

First you said i said it because Mayock said it...lol.. Ok

Dude i dont give a **** what u are... i said my opinion... thats ... that... you dont have to agree

I dont have a problem with you tho... Do your thing.

I know we see eye to eye on a lot of things, but wow am I in complete disagreement with you on this one. Bowers has a ton of potential because he's still pretty raw, but saying he's the perfect LDE prospect is off imo. I would definitely not pick him in the top 10 just because I don't think he's going to be an 8-10 sack guy in the NFL, even at LDE. I just can't take the Walterfootball comparison seriously at all. I thought some of the sh** I read on this MB was completely ignorant but I think the stuff Walter posts as well as that message board gets the award for horrible analysis of the draft. And this quote just proves it. Mario Williams? I get that he's big, really strong and really athletic for his size, but the closest thing to Mario Williams EVER is Julius Peppers, and Bowers is no Julius Peppers. And how can you take their comparisons seriously if they don't even watch any games to understand who they are comparing these players to? That makes absolutely no sense. And to be completely honest... I don't think Bowers has the edge speed to be a stud pass rusher in the NFL. And I certainly don't think his ceiling is a cross of Peppers and Justin Tuck, two players with great edge speed. Bowers' edge speed is closer to Chauncey Davis than it is to Julius Peppers or Justin Tuck in my opinion, I just don't like that comparison at all.

And I just have to say that I disagree about him having good rip moves... he struggles to shed blocks period. And you say he's not a one trick pony but then you mention his good rip moves (which I would disagree on him having, at least with any kind of consistency), then you say he is strong (which is not a pass rush move, it's just an attribute) and then you say he has a good bull rush, which is what his one trick is; bull rushing until the blocker lets up and then he hustles and gets the sack. I just don't think that translates that well to the NFL. Additionally, if I am right and he doesn't have the edge speed to consistently beat RT's off the edge, then his entire value as a NFL player will be based on how hard he works to improve his pass rush technique so he can get by with above-average edge speed, impressive strength and technique. But he is so far away in the technique department that that worries me, and his ceiling is so much lower because of his edge speed that I just can't put him in the top 5 or 10. And I know it sounds like I hate the guy, but he's still in the top 15 in my big board because even if he doesn't become a dominant pass rusher I think he can be a good LE. I think he will be more of a 5-6 sacks a year (consistently, he would probably have one 8-10 sack year) DE only if he works hard to improve his technique. Because if he does that he will defend the run well, he will have a good motor and he will be able to collapse the pocket and shed violently, making him a quality player overall and that is hard to find at LE. I just can't look at comparisons to Peppers and Mario Williams... I just don't see it.

And finally, comparing Aldon Smith to Jason Pierre Paul is such bullsh**. I mean before I had ever seen him play I just assumed Aldon Smith was an athlete with no technique too, but that is just not reality. Pierre Paul was a freak athlete with great edge speed but he was extremely raw. Aldon Smith is not raw, he is quite advanced technique-wise for a redshirt sophomore. I was incredibly surprised to see that when I finally scouted him instead of seeing him live. He is very sound technique-wise for how young he is, much better than Bowers in fact, and that is why I also have him very high on my big board. But that comparison, along with the Bowers to Peppers comparison, is just completely ignorant in my opinion. I think that says a lot about how little Walter actually watches of prospects.

I respect your opinion, and while I agree that Bowers is not a Peppers or Mario Williams, I still think that is what his ceiling is and his closest comparison, also to that of Justin Tuck. I really don't see how you think he'll only be a 6 sack guy a year, that really bothers me, because I think he has 10+ sack potential as an LDE. He is 6'4 and 290 lbs, and he has run the 40 in 4.65-4.70. Mario Williams, while being 3 inches taller, ran the 40 in 4.66 and 4.73 at the combine. Bowers isn't a refined pass rusher for two reasons: the Clemson coaching staff are hacks who rely on their good players being good and not teaching them how to become great in technique, similar to Miami (see Ricky Sapp and DeAndre McDaniel), and because Bowers has always been good with his fantastic quickness, power, and relentless. You can't teach those things, and without much refinement he turned his potential into serious production last year in his maturation year. His dad died before the season and his coaches and friends think that really helped him focus on football more and to become a better player. He may not have elite RDE speed, but he can absolutely speed rush around a slower RT. I've watched him play a lot as I've followed him since he signed with Clemson, and he's always had success either bullying the OT in front of him or just using his quickness, coupled with good hand placement and strength, to get around the edge and to the QB.

He isn't dumb or unwilling to learn and he has a relentless motor while rushing the QB -- all of these things lead me to believe he will develop NFL-style pass rush moves with good coaching, and that along the way he'll still be successful because of his talent and motor.

I never said Aldon Smith wasn't good, I think he would have been in the conversation for a Top 5 pick next year had he stayed but he chose not to, but I think Aldon is strictly a RDE and right now we are stacked with players that scream RDE to me -- Abe, Sidbury, and Biermann whom I think is at LDE out of necessity. We need a LDE so I lean towards Bowers. And my comparison for Aldon Smith was Jevon Kearse. I said I don't follow WalterFootball, I just like to see their player comparisons. I don't really know why I just always have, some are interesting. But I understand the JPP comparison only if you compare it on athleticism, freaky arm length, and upside. There are serious concerns about if Aldon Smith is still the same explosive DE he was this last year after his surgery, so we'd have to see if we thought he still was.

To me a one trick pony is Lawrence Sidbury -- spin move -- or Ricky Sapp -- dip the shoulder and speed rush. Bowers could bully an OT with a bull rush or he could line up a little wider and just beat him around the edge with a speed rush. Yes, he doesn't have an Elvis Dumervil-like first step, but 4-3 LDEs don't have that. I'd be very pleased with either DE, but because I think our need at LDE is far greater right now than drafting an heir apparent to Abraham at RDE, I'd draft Bowers over Aldon Smith for us. If we had Ray Edwards or Charles Johnson locked up had free agency started, my tune may be different. But I'm judging solely based on what we need.

If you could choose between us having Mike Wallace or Dwayne Bowe, I'd go for Mike Wallace. Can the argument be made that Bowe is the better receiver? Absolutely, and ESPN did a WR power rankings and Bowe came in 7th, actually getting as high as a #3 vote (shocked me too). Mike Wallace came in at 12th. But I'd take Mike Wallace over Dwayne Bowe because the kind of WR we need, Mike Wallace fits that.

With Abe being old, we absolutely need a RDE too for the future. But for right now, giving us the best chance to win while we still have Abe, we need a game changer at LDE.

I think he is a NB with potential to be a #2 if he develop... I think he still have nightmares about how Floyd gave is to him with no mercy..lol..

He is not a 1st round pick... Atleast to me..

He is a 5'9 CB that plays hard... I TD will like the fact that he will tackle.... Butill never take a 5'9 CB in the 1st round

Harris is 5-10, and he pretty much shut everyone down this year, barring an over exaggerated sub-par performance against Floyd.

I can see Harris being a top 20 pick, he has the best hips in the draft and is very smooth in and out of his transitions. Add in the fact he is physical in run support and has great character then it's quite easy to see he is the 3rd best CB in the draft - I actually prefer him to Amukamura.

Cornerback Brandon Harris, who some teams believe will ultimately wind up as the first of Miami's players chosen this year, was "solid, but not spectacular" in his positional drills. "Quick feet and fluid hips, but the concerns you have about him aren't going to be answered in a workout." Harris, 5-09 (1/2") and 191 pounds "loses too many battles at the critical moment" on tape.

My fellow Senior Analyst Chad Reuter and I have each pegged Harris as a potential late first round pick in our current mock drafts.

http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/28092565?source=rss_blogs_NFL%20Draft

Harris is 5-10, and he pretty much shut everyone down this year, barring an over exaggerated sub-par performance against Floyd.

I can see Harris being a top 20 pick, he has the best hips in the draft and is very smooth in and out of his transitions. Add in the fact he is physical in run support and has great character then it's quite easy to see he is the 3rd best CB in the draft - I actually prefer him to Amukamura.

Agreed 100% with this post. Well maybe like 95%, he isn't that physical in run support although he is a capable tackler.

All four NFC South teams have representatives at the University of Cincinnati’s pro day, which is going on right now. No doubt they’re keeping an eye on one of the draft’s more intriguing prospects, wide receiver Vidal Hazelton.

He suffered a major knee injury in last season’s opener and today was the first time he’s run publicly. According to agent, Kelli Masters, Hazelton was clocked at 4.50 seconds in the 40-yard dash, which isn’t bad for a guy who was measured at 6-foot-2 and weighed in at 218 pounds. Hazelton also checked in with a 34-inch vertical leap and did 18 reps of 220 pounds on the bench press. Hazelton was clocked at 4.20 seconds in the shuttle and 6.78 seconds in the cone drill.

Hazelton came out of high school as one of the top-rated receivers in his class and started his career at Southern California before transferring to Cincinnati. Hazelton has spent part of his life in Georgia and previously said his dream would be to end up playing for the Falcons. Due to the injury and a limited college career, Hazelton is viewed as a possible undrafted free agent or late-round pick.

But he still has potential and that’s why teams are keeping an eye on him. By the way, Falcons director of college scouting Dave Caldwell is in attendance.

link

Miami CB Brandon Harris will be meeting with the #Broncos, #Falcons and #Chargers this week. PFW's 3rd ranked CB, a 1st-rounder.

link

DeMarcus Van Dyke

Workouts with the falcons and broncos on Wednesday

If TD trade back in the 2nd round and pick up an extra pick then draft Harris... Its value there..

If we cant get a DE to help us... Maybe we go the Jets strategy (load up on good CB's)

link

If TD trade back in the 2nd round and pick up an extra pick then draft Harris... Its value there..

If we cant get a DE to help us... Maybe we go the Jets strategy (load up on good CB's)

I always go back to TD's interview when he says there's no question, no question at all that we need and will continue to focus on our pass defense. It's just the way he said it. It makes me think CB is high on the list.

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=87&c=671&f=67445

FF to 10:15

I always go back to TD's interview when he says there's no question, no question at all that we need and will continue to focus on our pass defense. It's just the way he said it. It makes me think CB is high on the list.

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=87&c=671&f=67445

FF to 10:15

Ive been on and off the CB in the 1st round thing. But with the QB's we will face...

It would make sense... If you cant draft a DE to get your pass D better... A CB would be the other way to help... I think we could go CB in the 2nd or 3rd round...

Ive been wondering also... We have looked at safeties like Robert Sands and Chris Conte .... In 09 Decoud did pretty good lining up against TE's in man coverage... Or William Moore coming up as a LB like Adrian Wilson does.

I will say this about Brandon Harris... After discussing some things with snelling on here... Snelling act like i said the guy was a bum... Wasnt like that... Last year i liked Kyle Wilson but thought he was a 2nd round pick also... I rewatched at a couple of games last night on espn3.. One that i made sure i saw was the Pit game....I remember that there whole D did there thing but but Harris had a good game.

I still see harris as a 2nd round pick... He is what i thought he was... A 5'9 CB that can run with any WR in man coverage but had some mistakes in zone.

If TD think trade back in the 2nd round and draft Harris.. I would have no problem with it... It would improve our pass D.

Ive been on and off the CB in the 1st round thing. But with the QB's we will face...

It would make sense... If you cant draft a DE to get your pass D better... A CB would be the other way to help... I think we could go CB in the 2nd or 3rd round...

Ive been wondering also... We have looked at safeties like Robert Sands and Chris Conte .... In 09 Decoud did pretty good lining up against TE's in man coverage... Or William Moore coming up as a LB like Adrian Wilson does.

This is what we should do. I advocated it hard last year, and still think we should this year. Any 3rd and 5 or 6+ situation should have Spoon and Moore at LB, and Decoud and (other safety) at safety.

We don't HAVE to grab a great pass coverage LB this year, we can use one safety as LB in obvious passing situations and it will help a LOT. Just wish Coleman were around as a backstop.

Your ideal nickel would be 2 RDEs and 2 UTs on the line, 3 CBs, an OLB and a safety at LB, and two FS's at safety. If they want to run on 3rd and 12, let them...that's a win. If they want to pass, you have your best pass defenders at every level of the defense.

Out of all the guys we have talked about i think Harris is the one guy we cant afford to trade back for because he will b taken. Most likely by the steelers or the bengals or cards could take him early second. So if harris is someone TD wants i think he has to take him at 27.

The thing thats getting me is everyone we seem to b meeting with and looking at hard are mostly all second rounders ie. Bailey, Acho, Young, Jernigan. so i think the ultimate goal is to trade down. The only real first round guys we have met with are Aldon smith and Ryan Kerrigan which i would have no problem moving up for either one of those guys. Just hope we could do it without giving up our second.

Give me smith or kerrigan in the first and young or jernigan in the second and ill b a happy falcon fan

link

Quan Sturdivant

he has an upcoming private workout with the Atlanta Falcons

A LB i really really like... Can play all 3 LB positions at 6'1 241lbs... He fits our scheme (good in coverage) .

The only thing... Dude got caught with some weed...lol

http://falcfans.com/?p=3709

University of Miami cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke tweeted Monday that he was scheduled to work out in front of the Falcons and the Denver Broncos this week on Wednesday, presumably on campus.

If we don't draft one player from Miami I will honestly be shocked.

link

Quan Sturdivant

A LB i really really like... Can play all 3 LB positions at 6'1 241lbs... He fits our scheme (good in coverage) .

The only thing... Dude got caught with some weed...lol

No big deal just dont let him and babz hangout lol

I'd be shocked too, but perhaps happy... I'm not a fan of any of the Miami players this year. That's just me though.

What He Said.... with one exception; I'd like see us get LB - Colin McCarthy

WR Tyler Beiler, Bridgewater

link

I was thinking he is like Marc Mariani but he is not as good in traffic but both are elusive and can get on top of coverage and are special teams threats.

I'd be shocked too, but perhaps happy... I'm not a fan of any of the Miami players this year. That's just me though.

It's hit or miss. If we draft Harris I'll be really happy. If we draft Hankerson I'd be ok with it but I don't like their other players.