Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyBirdDynasty

Free Agents We Will Target

9 posts in this topic

TD has built this team through the draft but typically makes a big FA/trade splash per off season and a few minor signings. As the roster matures the focus will shift to resigning our talent. With this in mind lets take a look at our needs

OFFENSE

-With Blalock, Dahl and Clabo up for UFA figuring out the OL situation could be the #1 need

-Our most glaring hole on O is the lack of a fast receiving back. Turner doesnt catch passes and carries the ball too many times every season

-Our O could certainly use an upgrade at 2 or 3 WR position and improved depth, but how much of a priority is it

-Its certainly in our best interest to get a talented young TE in while Gonzalez is still here but like WR how much of a priority is it?

DEFENSE

-DE is by far our most glaring hole on D. For the scheme to work you need to consistently get heat on the QB off both edges. We need 1-2 impact players at this position

-We need a nickel CB and depth at the position

-Nicholas and Peterson are UFAs, Adkins is the next man in line if they're gone and there's no depth at LB so this position needs to get sorted out.

-Do we need another safety with Coleman gone?

SPECIAL TEAMS

-Weems is a RFA and has earned a high tender

-Our kicker and punter are UFA

So let's look at some players I think may fit what we need

HB

Darren Sproles, Leon Washington, Joseph Addai.

DeAngelo Williams and Ahmad Bradshaw obviously also fit but will likely sign somewhere with an empty backfield. Sproles and Washington are also factors in the return game, Addai has a lot of experience in the pass game. The main reason to bring in a FA RB with a high price and age is the experience in pass protection, a rookie is cheap but can get your QB hurt.

WR

Sidney Rice, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Malcolm Floyd, Steve Smith (NYG), Mike Sims-Walker, Randy Moss, James Jones, Steve Breaston, Brad Smith, Lance Moore.

If we are looking to upgrade the WR position, FA should present some options. It's much easier for most vet NFL wide receivers to step in and make an impact than rookies transitioning into the league, so signing a young experienced proven receiver is a good choice if we are looking to improve the position.

TE

Zach Miller, Owen Daniels, Jeremy Shockey, Bo Scaife, David Thomas.

Adding a talented TE via FA or the draft would be a good move and extend Gonzalez' career by sparing him some run blocking downs.

OT

Jared Gaither, Jammal Brown, Tyson Clabo, Willie Colon, Doug Free, Ryan Harris.

Our RT is a UFA and will have a market as the OT group is not great. Gaither would be a great fit if healthy.

OG/C

Carl Nicks(RFA), Davin Joseph, Justin Blalock, Harvey Dahl, Darren Colledge, Deuce Letui, Chris Chester, Leroy Harris, Marshall Yanda.

Both of our guards are UFA but there are others out there who will get paid more. Snagging Joseph from TB would be a very nice fit.

Defensive FAs in a minute

hooshman likes this

DE

Matthias Kiwanuka, Charles Johnson, Ray Edwards, Kamerion Wimbley, Jason Babin, Cliff Avril (RFA), Mark Anderson.

Some impact players may hit the market at a position of a big need. We would be wise to make a play if players are available.

LB

Stephen Tulloch, Thomas Davis, Thomas Howard, Ernie Sims, Paul Poslusny, Rocky McIntosh, James Anderson, Barret Ruud, Clint Session, Kirk Morrison, Manny Lawson, Leroy Hill Justin Durant, Stewart Bradley, Stephen Nicholas

1 starting LB spot is up for grabs if our FAs walk and there certainly are some potential replacements out there. Davis is a great fit if healthy, Howard is a good fit, McIntosh was miscast in a 3-4 and would welcome a return to a 4-3.

CB

Carlos Rogers, Richard Marshall, Fabian Washington, Phillip Buchannon, Josh Wilson

I left off the big names cause we're looking for our nickel back, Grimes is a RFA and will likely receive the highest tender.

We may also look for a backup safety with Coleman gone

Offensively we need to sort out the OL, Blalock is the most likely to be resigned in my mind at 27 and can play RT. Picking up a blue chip OL like Gaither or Joseph would be huge. Dahl and Clabo may be let walk because of age or to upgrade.

At the skill positions HB is the most likely but we may go draft instead of handing out big money for a undersized vet RB.

DE is a huge need on D and signing a proven NFL pass rusher and drafting a good prospect is important

At LB we need to sort out a starting spot with 2 up for FA and no depth

CB were lookin for a nickel does it come via FA?

S do we add a backup?

Thomas Davis. Coming off 2 major knee surgeries. He will be cheap, but if he can regain his past form, he will be a steal at LB. Great cover guy.

Charles Johnson and Sidney Rice. Maybe Eric Wright to compete with Franks and Owens for the NB.

I agree. All 3 will be a big upgrade. Let's make this happen TD.

i think he was tagged. someone correct me if im wrong?

I havent seen anything on him yet being tagged, but i would love this guy too!