Vernon gholsthon

Jaymadd

JA98>>>>>Vernon

FACTS

Gholston, the Jets' sixth-overall pick in 2008, has played three years without recording a sack and is widely viewed as one of the biggest draft blunders in the team's history. - NFL.COM

JA98 HAS 4.5 SACKS IN FOUR YEARS, THATS 4.5 MORE THEN GHOLSTON!! WE NEED SOMEONE THAT CAN SACK THE QUARTERBACK!! NOT SLAP THE QUARTERBACK ON THE LEG, AND LET HIM THROW DOWN FIELD, LIKE THE SAINTS GAME AT THE END OF THE SEASON AND THE PACKERS IN THE PLAYOFFS.

No one is saying the man should be signed as a starter. All anyone has said here is that maybe, just maybe he should be brought in to camp to see what he can do. There are so many stories about guys who have failed miserably their first time around and ended up having a great career. Maybe this doesn't apply to Gholston. Maybe he's awful and just not suited for the NFL at all. My point is, we don't know if he's going to be a failure forever.

If GM's had the same attitude towards guys who have failed, many players who did have what it takes would never have gotten a shot.

No one is saying the man should be signed as a starter. All anyone has said here is that maybe, just maybe he should be brought in to camp to see what he can do. There are so many stories about guys who have failed miserably their first time around and ended up having a great career. Maybe this doesn't apply to Gholston. Maybe he's awful and just not suited for the NFL at all. My point is, we don't know if he's going to be a failure forever.

If GM's had the same attitude towards guys who have failed, many players who did have what it takes would never have gotten a shot.

You're right but I still don't think this is the right team for Vernon.. We need proven players, he's not proven.. The Giants or a team with a strong defensive line will be a better fit for him. He can have time to become acclimated to the scheme and can be worked in slowly.. We have enough projects and at this point in his career that's all Vernon is.

You're right but I still don't think this is the right team for Vernon.. We need proven players, he's not proven.. The Giants or a team with a strong defensive line will be a better fit for him. He can have time to become acclimated to the scheme and can be worked in slowly.. We have enough projects and at this point in his career that's all Vernon is.

I hear what you're saying, but if that's the case, none of our draft picks will be proven either. More importantly, the camp bodies and UDFA's will be unproven as well. The Falcons will have guys in camp with no experience as backups or maybe starters regardless. It's not about how many years you played, but if Smith and Co. think you're good enough to get on the field. I don't think it's really fair to talk about him in the same sentence with some proven DE's anyway. I'm not talking about bringing him in to compete with Abraham or anything like that. I'm saying work him out, if the coaches are impressed bring him into training camp. I just don't see the problem with giving him a look. His presence here (if he's even good enough to make it), does not mean that we won't have enough money to throw at a FA DE like Kiwanuka or Johnson.

"You can get a good look at a t-bone by stickin' your head up a bull's a$$ but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it?"

Translation: Why bring in someone "for a look?" Haven't we seen enough already to know he isn't any better than what we already have?

Most times you're right. Still, I thought I saw enough of Mike Williams to know he would always be a bust. Like I said earlier, I laughed when I saw they brought him in. James Harrison couldn't stick on an NFL team and thought about retiring before he showed something. My point is, we just don't know. There will be players in Falcons training camp that have failed elsewhere.

March 1, 2011

Vernon Gholston, and the Canary in the Combine

By TONI MONKOVIC

New York Jets

It was almost as if the Jets were broadcasting a message to the rest of the N.F.L. on Monday: Let us be your early-warning system about putting too much stock in the combine.

The Jets are releasing Kris Jenkins, Damien Woody and Jason Taylor on Tuesday. They?re also releasing Vernon Gholston.

Gholston, a defensive end from Ohio State, was a so-called workout warrior at the combine in 2008. His performance quieted some concerns about his play and helped lift him to the sixth pick in the draft. By contrast, a player like running back Ray Rice, who didn?t impress scouts at the combine but who had a great career at Rutgers, was chosen in the second round of that draft.

Greg Cosell of NFL Films was onto Gholston, who has had zero sacks in three seasons, before the 2008 season even started.

A number of things struck me as I watched six Ohio State games on tape, and I did this after I witnessed his athletic feats at the NFL Combine. First, Gholston?s athleticism on the field, during games, did not match his off-field measurable skills. He did not play anywhere near as fast as he timed in the 40-yard dash.

In addition, his level of energy and effort varied from play to play, game to game. He did not come across on film as a consistent competitor, and that?s always a red flag. In fact, in three of the game tapes I broke down, I would not have known Gholston was on the field if not specifically watching him

Before the defensive coordinator Mike Pettine joined the Jets, he also had doubts about Gholston after scouting him. The New York Post: ?I thought he was a tremendous athlete, but being in shorts is one thing and how it carries over to the field is another,? Pettine said in 2009.

Perhaps we can trade JA98 to for VG.

The irony here (for those that don't get it) is Gholston was drafted by a 3-4 team, yet the conventional wisdom was that he was a better fit as a 4-3 DE.

JA98 was drafted by a 4-3 team, yet the conventional wisdom was that he was a better fit for a 3-4 defense.

Perhaps we can trade JA98 to for VG.

The irony here (for those that don't get it) is Gholston was drafted by a 3-4 team, yet the conventional wisdom was that he was a better fit as a 4-3 DE.

JA98 was drafted by a 4-3 team, yet the conventional wisdom was that he was a better fit for a 3-4 defense.

JA98 is built like a 3-4 DE, McKay blew that pick.