basicly when I was 18 I had ensomnia then I could sleep 1-3 hours a night if I even got that, I went to see a doctor because I felt like I was being tourtured see a day is long when you're awake for 16 hours, a day is punshment when you're awake for 22. He perscribed pills and I took them for a week but it didn't even phase me, some said get drunk and pass out but that didn't help. Well long story short when I was 18 I did something alot of people my age were doing, started smoking weed, I didn't or rather don't fall asleep right away but once I start to burn out I'm lights out 8-10 hours unless I have to be up. So the dilema, my current asperation is to take my heavy duty mechanic's degree to alberta to work in the oil feilds fixing heavy equipment, but they drug test so ethier I have to get a doctor who will perscribe or find a new way to sleep. So my questions are two fold, one would a doctor perscribe weed for ensomnia because the heavy setatives they put me on before didn't get more than 2-3 hours out of me. And 2 does anyone know a way to get to sleep without drugs, on feb 9th I stopped smoking weed to see if I would still have ensomnia it's been some time since I last tried to sleep without pot, since then I can remeber just the 1 night where I was out longer than a half hour, and that was a 3 hour stint last saturday night after I went out drinking.

basicly when I was 18 I had ensomnia then I could sleep 1-3 hours a night if I even got that, I went to see a doctor because I felt like I was being tourtured see a day is long when you're awake for 16 hours, a day is punshment when you're awake for 22. He perscribed pills and I took them for a week but it didn't even phase me, some said get drunk and pass out but that didn't help. Well long story short when I was 18 I did something alot of people my age were doing, started smoking weed, I didn't or rather don't fall asleep right away but once I start to burn out I'm lights out 8-10 hours unless I have to be up. So the dilema, my current asperation is to take my heavy duty mechanic's degree to alberta to work in the oil feilds fixing heavy equipment, but they drug test so ethier I have to get a doctor who will perscribe or find a new way to sleep. So my questions are two fold, one would a doctor perscribe weed for ensomnia because the heavy setatives they put me on before didn't get more than 2-3 hours out of me. And 2 does anyone know a way to get to sleep without drugs, on feb 9th I stopped smoking weed to see if I would still have ensomnia it's been some time since I last tried to sleep without pot, since then I can remeber just the 1 night where I was out longer than a half hour, and that was a 3 hour stint last saturday night after I went out drinking.

Sounds like you have trouble staying asleep more so than falling asleep. You may be suffering from sleep apnea which is a problem breathing during sleep that causes you to awaken without being aware of it. If you have access to a video camera, try filming yourself while you are trying to sleep, both while high and normal rest.

A quick fix might be to sleep on your side instead of on your back.

No I'm literaly awake the whole period at one point I would work out from 5am to 7am, goto work 8-4 then football 7-10 beer league 11:30-12:30, drive home, eat and shower take till 1:30am, and Id still be up till 3am playing video games before going to be to look at the clock till it was time to goto the gym again. :wacko:

No I'm literaly awake the whole period at one point I would work out from 5am to 7am, goto work 8-4 then football 7-10 beer league 11:30-12:30, drive home, eat and shower take till 1:30am, and Id still be up till 3am playing video games before going to be to look at the clock till it was time to goto the gym again. :wacko:

Video games are a horrible way to try to relax and wind down your mind. If anything they make you mind MORE active than it should be. Especially post 2AM. Hours can go by like minutes when you're into a game.

Refueling your body at 1:30 am isn't a great recipe for sleeping.

Take it from me daroadrambler, you dont want to sweat the drug screens from job to job. Besides, if you do stay clean long enough to get hired and then start smoking again you could come up hot on a random and get run off, costing you thousands and any chance for another gig with them in the future. You also might start back smoking after hiring in and get hurt (even if it was from no fault of yourself) and now your employer will have the ammunition he needs to walk away from you.

I have no solution to your sleep problem, but I know road construction and druggin on the road has cost many of my friends dearly. Construction is a small world, and your problems will follow you wherever you go.

insomnia is a ****.

and its not a quick fix either. what I have found to work is meditation/relaxation. to me it sounds like you are pretty stressed. add to that your thought "I need to go to sleep". the more you think about trying to sleep, the harder it will be to sleep.

i would look into relaxation and meditation. it definatlely works. also remember the role cognitive processes play in physical symptoms.

hope that was helpful. as far as meditation goes I would look into some type of mindfulness based info. works for me for stress, and many others as well.

If you get hurt on the job you will probably get drug tested for workers comp, so keep that in mind.

Try relaxation techniques like listed above. Theres some good self hypnosis videos on youtube or you could even try yoga/meditation.

Right. A couple of folks have mentioned that. I don't do worker's comp, but my understanding is that if an injured worker tests positive, there is a presumption that the drug contributed to the injury and WORKER'S COMP WON'T COVER ANYTHING. The worker can rebut the presumption that the drug was the cause, but that can be pretty tough.

JDaveG can give us the straight poop on this.

Edited by holymoses

where I am from pot is already de-criminalized so having a perscription would make it legal for me to smoke pot, they couldn't throw me out of work for having a medical condition. But at this point I havn't seen a doctor that has perscribed it, so I have looked into your suggestions, and hopefully will be able to rest tonight...