PFF- 2010 Movers and Fallers: NFC South

atljbo

ATLANTA

Moving On Up: CB Brent Grimes (-3.7 to +9.0)

Narrowly edging out the improving Justin Blalock, Grimes built on the flashes of good play in ’09 with some excellent displays this year. So much so that it earned him a spot on our NFC Pro Bowl team, as the former undrafted free agent outplayed expensive off-season acquisition Dunta Robinson. Grimes got his hands to more balls than any other cornerback this year with 21 (five interceptions and 16 pass breakups). That’s playmaking.

Had a Bad Year: LB Curtis Lofton (+9.7 to -10.0)

In becoming a genuine three-down linebacker, Lofton appeared to have lost some of the intensity that made him one of the best run stuffing middle linebackers in the league. It wasn’t anything that numbers would pick up, with Lofton making and missing a similar number of tackles, but Lofton had particular difficulty with linemen getting to the second level. Once a strength, he looked a shadow of the player we saw in his first two years even if he didn’t look anywhere near as lost in coverage.

Give This Guy More Snaps: DT Peria Jerry (+1.6 in 218 snaps)

There isn’t really a candidate for this category on a Falcons team that got their best players on the field. So Jerry is the obvious guy to go with, as a former first round talent on his way back from an injury that took away nearly all of his rookie year. The former Ole Miss DT had flashes as a situational rusher, but with Atlanta using three-man lines there was rarely a chance for him to build on the 11 QB disruptions he produced.

yea... Lofton was banged up... Curtis missed a lot and i mean a lot of tackles in coverage (import coverage downs)

Thats one thing during the season I did notice about Lofton he always seemed to be dinged up.He was always on the injury report most weeks,I'm guessing its his physical style of play why he gets dinged so much.But even a dinged up Lofton is pretty darn good all things considered.

Ehh, cant hate. i know its tough sometimes but those players did have great seasons. jus like i cant hate on grimes even though i think he overachieved this year. i stil respect! :)

wow he overachieved??? 11 picks and 36 deflections in two years is overachieving??? no i think the better word is elite my friend.... -_-

Ehh, cant hate. i know its tough sometimes but those players did have great seasons. jus like i cant hate on grimes even though i think he overachieved this year. i stil respect! :)

wow he overachieved??? 11 picks and 36 deflections in two years is overachieving??? no i think the better word is elite my friend.... -_-

Y'all throw that "elite" word around too much, if hes elite than theres like 10 Elite CBs in the league...

liked the positive read on Peria Jerry. I like Lofton and understand he was dinged up, but his play in pass coverage was basically what I was reading about him in the pre-draft rankings 3 years ago. really good run stuffer questionable in pass coverage and not expected to be a sideline to sideline player. speed can't be taught....we need weatherspoon to stay healthy and take a big step up next year.

Give This Guy More Snaps: DT Peria Jerry (+1.6 in 218 snaps)

There isn’t really a candidate for this category on a Falcons team that got their best players on the field. So Jerry is the obvious guy to go with, as a former first round talent on his way back from an injury that took away nearly all of his rookie year. The former Ole Miss DT had flashes as a situational rusher, but with Atlanta using three-man lines there was rarely a chance for him to build on the 11 QB disruptions he produced.

The part above just jumped out at me.

I know I saw it all season but maybe part of the problem with the pass rush was that. If our DE's can barely get pressure with a 4 man d-line how does having a 3 man d-line help?

I could understand if we went with 2 DTs and a DE or something like that but I think we always went with a DT and 2 DEs when we went with 3 d-linemen. No wonder we had problems rushing the passer.

...Grimes is great in coverage, but if a reciever is bigger than him he struggles.

What WR ain't bigger than him? Maybe a few. Not many.

Buddy got owned in 2008 by big WRs but since mid 2009 he has been holding his own against the bigs.

In 2009 making tackles was the problem. He fixed that too.

In three seasons dude has gone from losing his job to Foxy, BWill, Try Hill and Miss Owens to become an elite CB. He will soon get paid. Sportsfreak and Peyton were right.

ame='madman88' date='15 February 2011 - 02:17 PM' timestamp='1297797433' post='6039385']

Y'all throw that "elite" word around too much, if hes elite than theres like 10 Elite CBs in the league...

check his production over the last three years, and u will see his numbers with the 'elite'' cbs in this game, like it or not, thoes are the facts....

Grimes has played like a Top 5 CB. He rarely got beat, and when he did, the throw had to be on the money and the WR had to make a GREAT catch. Also Grimes is 5'10, just like MOST of the CB in the NFL. So lets stop calling him short.

Lofton, imo, has always been average in pass coverage. He is really good in stopping the run, but pass coverage needs to improve.

Now Jerry, I can't really judge. I just hope he stays healthy and dominate.

What WR ain't bigger than him? Maybe a few. Not many.

Buddy got owned in 2008 by big WRs but since mid 2009 he has been holding his own against the bigs.

In 2009 making tackles was the problem. He fixed that too.

In three seasons dude has gone from losing his job to Foxy, BWill, Try Hill and Miss Owens to become an elite CB. He will soon get paid. Sportsfreak and Peyton were right.

I finally get some relief with Crisp Houston finally getting the heck outta here. You had to remind me we are one injury away from the Miss Owens being on the field with his back to the QB and arms flailing.

Edited by Xfactor

I saw the same thing out of Peria while looking at some of the games over again.... I really want to see how he does when he has a 100% healthy offseason and TC.

If they don't play this season, it's really going to suck for our investment in him though. If they don't play until 2012, he'll already be 28 when that season starts.

Jerry had 2 sacks with less than half the playing time of Babs, who had 4. He's not where he needs to be yet, but c'mon, without a set back, he'll be there next year I suspect.

Exactly... The guy also generated some disruptions aka pressure.

Last year was basically his rookie year plus he spent all last season rehabbing .. The only way he could really improve his game is in the film room... This offseason.. The guy will be healthy.. I'm excited to see what he can do.

I like Peters but i think some on this board have him over-rated some... I read some on this board saying dude will be batter then Babs and Peria... The guy is good at what he does but i dont think he is near as talented as Babs and Peria...

Peria should shine next year.