Looks Like a Lockout

mrobinson3803

On ESPN there is an article stating the owners pulled out of talks over the CBA. I can't put a link I am on my phone. The players union report that they want to split the revenue 50-50 whereas before it was 60-40 in favor of the players. The owners are being entirely too greedy I hope AB is not one of the owners with this mindset.

On ESPN there is an article stating the owners pulled out of talks over the CBA. I can't put a link I am on my phone. The players union report that they want to split the revenue 50-50 whereas before it was 60-40 in favor of the players. The owners are being entirely too greedy I hope AB is not one of the owners with this mindset.

pigs at the trough on both sides---fans going to get the screw

It's a bit more complex than that. Right now, the players get a larger piece of the pie than the owners, 60-40 is a safe assumption. Currently the owners get a 1.5% or something small like that cut off of the top before it is divided.

Basically, if the NFL earns 100 dollars, the NFL owners gets 1.50 off the top and the reamaning 98.50 would be divided by the 60-40 split.

The NFL owners have proposed to keep the same 60-40 profit split, but are pushing for a 2.5% or 3% cut off the top instead of the current 1.5.

I see no problem with the owners position currently, especially since the cost of stadiums has gone up, twice as much is being spent on training staffs, teams coaching staffs are getting bigger, coaches salaries are increasing, there facilities need to be more advanced and technologically up to date, etc....

Bottom line to me is this is like any other company. The owner pays an employee for a service. The owner should always make more income than his employees, because he has to front the capital, risk, structure, environment, marketing, support staff, etc... to keep the business successful.

It costs owners a tremendous amount of money to field a competitive football team. It costs players NO money to play the game, they are handsomely rewarded to play. The balance of money IMO should be towards the owners.

I'd be okay if the players got zero of the profit from the NFL and just their multi million dollar salaries(but i would like to see more of a post career healthcare system in place) and royalties from memorbilia sales directly related to their name. Then they'd be like 80% of the rest of the working world.

It's a bit more complex than that. Right now, the players get a larger piece of the pie than the owners, 60-40 is a safe assumption. Currently the owners get a 1.5% or something small like that cut off of the top before it is divided.

Basically, if the NFL earns 100 dollars, the NFL owners gets 1.50 off the top and the reamaning 98.50 would be divided by the 60-40 split.

The NFL owners have proposed to keep the same 60-40 profit split, but are pushing for a 2.5% or 3% cut off the top instead of the current 1.5.

I see no problem with the owners position currently, especially since the cost of stadiums has gone up, twice as much is being spent on training staffs, teams coaching staffs are getting bigger, coaches salaries are increasing, there facilities need to be more advanced and technologically up to date, etc....

Bottom line to me is this is like any other company. The owner pays an employee for a service. The owner should always make more income than his employees, because he has to front the capital, risk, structure, environment, marketing, support staff, etc... to keep the business successful.

It costs owners a tremendous amount of money to field a competitive football team. It costs players NO money to play the game, they are handsomely rewarded to play. The balance of money IMO should be towards the owners.

I'd be okay if the players got zero of the profit from the NFL and just their multi million dollar salaries(but i would like to see more of a post career healthcare system in place) and royalties from memorbilia sales directly related to their name. Then they'd be like 80% of the rest of the working world.

Not much sympathy for the players from me, except I think they deserve a life-long medical plan. That can be provided by the NFLPA and the NFL me thinks.

I don't think anyone thought an agreement would come early in the process. The NFLPA members can't afford to miss too many paychecks...their window of opportunity for earning is too short. The owners want to use that against them. The good news, in my opinion, is that controlling rookie salaries and an expanded schedule could create enough new money to satisfy both sides. There doesn't have to be a winner and a loser.

Very well said.

Excellent post, +1 sir.

I don't think that's quite right. OR maybe the ESPN article is wrong. If I read the ESPN article correctly the math looks like this.

Current Scenario

Billions, Owner's share, Union's Share, Owner's Value, Union's value

All Revenue $9.0 47% 53% $4.2 $4.8

Owner Credit $1.0 100% 0% $1.0 $-

Total Revenue $8.0 40% 60% $3.2 $4.8

If this math is right, you can see that the player's get to say they get 60% but they really only get 53%.

My guess is the owner's are asking for a $1B credit but would take a half billion. That would allow smith to keep his "60-40" position and save face, while putting a cool $400M in owner's pockets. My guess is that would take the 18 game season mostly off the table, but the health-care plan for the player's could still be a problem.

I think rookie salary is more of a player's union issue than a owner issue. I mean with a salary cap, do owner's really care how much they play each player, or that they all have the same amount to pay them?

The players also seem to forget that we are rooting for a team. Yes, there players on those teams we all enjoy watching play, but I still watched the Falcons before Ryan, Turner, et al, and I'll still watch them when they're gone. They'll be missed, but the NFL is bigger than the players.

Combine that with the post on owndes taking risk, fronting capital, running the organization, and I have to side a little more with the owners.

dig deeper and you will see an average franchise owner having quiet a bit on staff, indirectly/directly.

safety regulatory/conformity

accounting/tax

facility/equipment

PR/marketing

investors

coaches/gm/vp operation/scout

continue to add...i wont be shocked if an average franchise has 500-750 full time employee

players get to play the game they love and get paid and maybe get endorsements...and live a life i cant imagine heh...

I was listnening to NFL Radio on Sirius, and I'm tired of all the fans calling in saying the players deserve this, deserve that...

You are absolutely spot on, the Players take on No Risk. Also, I think the floor for mandatory player payroll should be lowered. That to me would be very effective. This way, it gives ownership the ability to help control cost, much like a regular business. From a league perspecitve, you still need a floor for player labor cost, because it helps protect the NFL brand -- Good football by quality players and keeps some P&L owners from droping their cost.

I can't seem to sympathize with the owners. Especially not with dictator Goodell he says he has the players safety at heart but wants to add 2 more games. No the man wants more money. If the owners took the 50-50 deal they would have more money for stadium costs coaches staffs etc. And for the comment about it costs the players nothing to play the game, that's ridiculous. These players put their health on the line of course they should be paid and without them we wouldn't have the NFL. Im not saying the players should get a bigger price of the pie but the owners have enough now to cover costs or the NFL wouldn't be expanding its market overseas and bringing live games to mobile phones. It couldn't support that type of growth. The players have given a reasonable solution IMO. Giving the owners more money but also protecting themselves. Sorry if that this is one big paragraph I am on my phone.

I can't seem to sympathize with the owners. Especially not with dictator Goodell he says he has the players safety at heart but wants to add 2 more games. No the man wants more money. If the owners took the 50-50 deal they would have more money for stadium costs coaches staffs etc. And for the comment about it costs the players nothing to play the game, that's ridiculous. These players put their health on the line of course they should be paid and without them we wouldn't have the NFL. Im not saying the players should get a bigger price of the pie but the owners have enough now to cover costs or the NFL wouldn't be expanding its market overseas and bringing live games to mobile phones. It couldn't support that type of growth. The players have given a reasonable solution IMO. Giving the owners more money but also protecting themselves. Sorry if that this is one big paragraph I am on my phone.

A. Maybe they want to add more games in order to make the extra money needed to pay for a healthcare plan for retired NFL players.

B. Nobody is forcing these dudes to play a game. They are all 100% aware of the injury risks, and if they still decide to play... that's on them. Besides, they make a ton of money already, and if they'd put it away (rather than buying 6 houses, 25 cars, a bunch of chains and earrings, and whatever other frivolous crap they blow their fortunes on) they'd be able to pay their own medical bills and still have plenty left over to live a comfortable life.

C. These players have been coddled and given a pass their entire lives... in High School, in college, and now in the pros. The NFL is NOT vital. It is simply entertainment. Teachers are vital, doctors are vital, police officers are vital. Football player are not at all vital. It is disgusting that people like you continue to coddle these players, and their overinflated egos, which leads them to think they are entitled to such much more than people who do things that really matter.

A. Maybe they want to add more games in order to make the extra money needed to pay for a healthcare plan for retired NFL players.

B. Nobody is forcing these dudes to play a game. They are all 100% aware of the injury risks, and if they still decide to play... that's on them. Besides, they make a ton of money already, and if they'd put it away (rather than buying 6 houses, 25 cars, a bunch of chains and earrings, and whatever other frivolous crap they blow their fortunes on) they'd be able to pay their own medical bills and still have plenty left over to live a comfortable life.

C. These players have been coddled and given a pass their entire lives... in High School, in college, and now in the pros. The NFL is NOT vital. It is simply entertainment. Teachers are vital, doctors are vital, police officers are vital. Football player are not at all vital. It is disgusting that people like you continue to coddle these players, and their overinflated egos, which leads them to think they are entitled to such much more than people who do things that really matter.

AMEN!NUFF SAID B)

The players also seem to forget that we are rooting for a team. Yes, there players on those teams we all enjoy watching play, but I still watched the Falcons before Ryan, Turner, et al, and I'll still watch them when they're gone. They'll be missed, but the NFL is bigger than the players.

Combine that with the post on owndes taking risk, fronting capital, running the organization, and I have to side a little more with the owners.

The Players are the NFL

I am sorry but 50 million just isn't quite enough for me. I run the risk of needing hip or knee replacement surgery in ten years. Give me more so I can pay my medical bills. God forbid if I have to sell one of my 5 mansion or a few of my 30 exotic sports cars to pay for it.

Sarcasm/off

:huh: :blink: :huh:

I could be wrong but I look at it as players are employed by the the team and the team is employed by the NFL. So to me its like a gut working somewhere and he wants a raise and the employer tells them they cant do it, then the employee starts complaining about because they dont realize the employer has 100 other workers to pay, he has to pay to maintain the store and then he has to market the store.

Thats how I think about so its hard for me to side with the players.

I agree with many post on here to an extent but to say the owners take all the risk is crazy, havent seen many owners getting concussions in the box seats, or owners with broken bones and lifelong injuries because they spent too much on a bust. just saying..

Financial Risk. From a business Model, the NFL Players are strictly part of the labor cost. Yes they are very important, but unless they are willing to defer some of their income to retiremed player medical benefits, construction of new stadiums, marketing and brand management, I can't see them getting more than their fair share.

Players Play, Players move on, Players retire. Owners own, and only move on when the sell. If this were a real business and the labor cost was this high, the NFL would outsoure their production facilities to China, Vietnam, Mexico....

The one thing I am in favor of, is keeping this to a 16 game season, I'm also in favor of retired player benefits, and I'm also infavor of player safety (as long as it's a comittee and not Goodell)

The overall tone of your post/argument comes across a bit "envious" and judgmental, in my opinion. You have some valid points and we, fans, can argue all day along about about the fundamental principles and merits of the CBA. However, we all must bare one very simple fact in mind:

No PRODUCT, No BUSINESS!!

Edited by BirdzEyeView

The overall tone of your post/argument comes across a bit "envious" and judgmental, in my opinion. You have some valid points and we, fans, can argue all day along about about the fundamental principles and merits of the CBA. However, we all must bare one very simple fact in mind:

No PRODUCT, No BUSINESS!!

Actually, Owners can still field a product with no union, have extensively lower cost for 2011 and still get teh 4.4B from TV contracts. The players should negotiate something now, because if we do go to a lockout, they will have very limited leverage, because 90% of the players cant financially afford a lockout.